Account bound crafting professions

What do you mean? You can have more than one profession on a toon. You can buy unlocks to have several. IMO the reason crafting isn't account-wide is that it doesn't make sense from a character perspective (story). The fact that your Asuran Elementalist learned how to be a tailor doesn't translate to your Norn Guardian Weaponsmith sewing cloth gloves. But the issue of logging out it up to you. Buy more crafting slots.

@Conqueror.3682 said:Is there a reason that crafting disciplines are bound only to characters? I mean, wallet, storage and many currencies are account bound

Can these be account bound too? I mean, is tedious to log into diferent characters only to craft diferent items.

The main reason is crafting XP, you can use crafting to level new toons (approx 8 levels per craft, x8 crafts = 64 levels).

Personally I bought the gemstore thing that let me unlock more crafting on each character, up to the max so I can hav 4 crafting professions on each. Then my Guardian and Thief just divided the craft-professions between themselves. So now got 4 on each, if I want to craft something I just swap to those 2 characters.

I do agree that it would have been convenient to have it account bound, so I could just craft anything with any character, but I don't see it happening. Simply because a lot of players like being able to craft-level. It is also another aspect that drives the economy of the lower level crafting materials.

@joneirikb.7506 said:The main reason is crafting XP, you can use crafting to level new toons (approx 8 levels per craft, x8 crafts = 64 levels).

Personally I bought the gemstore thing that let me unlock more crafting on each character, up to the max so I can hav 4 crafting professions on each. Then my Guardian and Thief just divided the craft-professions between themselves. So now got 4 on each, if I want to craft something I just swap to those 2 characters.

I do agree that it would have been convenient to have it account bound, so I could just craft anything with any character, but I don't see it happening. Simply because a lot of players like being able to craft-level. It is also another aspect that drives the economy of the lower level crafting materials.

Well, i never tought it about an alternative way to level a character. This argument seems more convincing.

@Conqueror.3682 said:Well, i never tought it about an alternative way to level a character. This argument seems more convincing.

It's not surprising you (and others) haven't thought of it. These days, it's a lot less interesting than it was in 2012. Back then, there were few ways to gain XP quickly and folks with alts (or otherwise in a rush) did a lot of crafting. Also, the cost to level up was substantially less, even relative to the markets.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Conqueror.3682 said:Well, i never tought it about an alternative way to level a character. This argument seems more convincing.

It's not surprising you (and others) haven't thought of it. These days, it's a lot less interesting than it was in 2012. Back then, there were few ways to gain XP quickly and folks with alts (or otherwise in a rush) did a lot of crafting. Also, the cost to level up was substantially less, even relative to the markets.

I seem to remember someone from Anet also mentioned it in an interview as an example of how the game gave you the freedom to only play the mode/s you wanted. I don't think they meant it as a serious suggestion but saying you could level up just by crafting seemed to catch people's attention so some people tried it just to see if it was really possible (at the time you could get to level 80 just by crafting) and I think that helped promote the idea.

@Danikat.8537 said:

I seem to remember someone from Anet also mentioned it in an interview as an example of how the game gave you the freedom to only play the mode/s you wanted. I don't think they meant it as a serious suggestion but saying you could level up just by crafting seemed to catch people's attention so some people tried it just to see if it was really possible (at the time you could get to level 80 just by crafting) and I think that helped promote the idea.

you can still get to 80 by just leveling

its just alot more expensive and requires a few proff to 500

you used to get 10 levels each proffesion.but with the advent of level 500 crafting those levels are reduced to 7/9

OP, I made a post about this several weeks ago as well. I'm with you 100%. I like to switch mains every year or so, or play a different race of the same class, and it kills me to have to relog, or when doing legendary quests having to log onto another character. I also tend to not do my daily crafting as I would.

I appreciate that it's a laziness thing to not have to log onto another character, but really, with all the account bound features this game has, it should be a no brainer here.

There is literally no perk to having multiple characters with the same crafting professions maxed, as now all ascended items and all recipes are account bound (and have been for years). At least no perk that is worth the money or time invested to level up a profession to max.

Regarding level up... there are so many ways to get to Lv80 it is almost a non-factor in this game anymore. Anytime you actually get off the free to play model, (which restricts the Auction House functions necessary for a totally new player to generate revenue to level crafting), they give you 1-2 free instant level 80 tokens, AND Knowledge Tomes drop so much I've got thousands in my bank.... I'd find it very surprising, and rather unlikely, to find any large group of the player base that is fighting to keep this so they can level their alts through maxing professions multiple times...

Lastly, this would DRASTICALLY improve the value, at least in my opinion, of the multiple crafting licenses on the gem store. If they were account bound crafting disciplines then I would purchase the ~800(?) gem additional crafting licenses so I'd have more convenience of never paying the fee or wasting time swapping at the crafting trainers. So they would probably get more money out of making this change and it would be very convenient for most players.

Thankfully I have all disciplines on one character, so I don't need to log out/in 8 different times when I need to do certain refinements, etc.

@Reece.7341 said:OP, I made a post about this several weeks ago as well. I'm with you 100%. I like to switch mains every year or so, or play a different race of the same class, and it kills me to have to relog, or when doing legendary quests having to log onto another character. I also tend to not do my daily crafting as I would.

I appreciate that it's a laziness thing to not have to log onto another character, but really, with all the account bound features this game has, it should be a no brainer here.

There is literally no perk to having multiple characters with the same crafting professions maxed, as now all ascended items and all recipes are account bound (and have been for years). At least no perk that is worth the money or time invested to level up a profession to max.

Regarding level up... there are so many ways to get to Lv80 it is almost a non-factor in this game anymore. Anytime you actually get off the free to play model, (which restricts the Auction House functions necessary for a totally new player to generate revenue to level crafting), they give you 1-2 free instant level 80 tokens, AND Knowledge Tomes drop so much I've got thousands in my bank.... I'd find it very surprising, and rather unlikely, to find any large group of the player base that is fighting to keep this so they can level their alts through maxing professions multiple times...

Lastly, this would DRASTICALLY improve the value, at least in my opinion, of the multiple crafting licenses on the gem store. If they were account bound crafting disciplines then I would purchase the ~800(?) gem additional crafting licenses so I'd have more convenience of never paying the fee or wasting time swapping at the crafting trainers. So they would probably get more money out of making this change and it would be very convenient for most players.

Thankfully I have all disciplines on one character, so I don't need to log out/in 8 different times when I need to do certain refinements, etc.

ah yes remove leveling from crafting ,

lets also remove it from explorationand from monster killsfrom events aswell

why not remove exp altogether like they did in wvw

cause there 80 boosters and tome of knowledge

@"Popocatl.2649" said:Does it worth to lvl up toons via crafting? Most of the experience is adquired via Recipe Discovery, but the new with recent patches, the recipes you learned/discovered are now shared with all your toons in your account. Or am I wrong? D: D:

only recipes are

discoveries still are character locked

@infrequentia.3465 said:ah yes remove leveling from crafting ,

This is not what I said at all.

How much of the player base is using crafting, which costs resources, to level up ALTS, when they already have another character with that crafting discipline maxed?

I did not say anything about removing the experience doing it the first time.

Players using crafting to level alts, are objectively wasting resources to do something they can do much easier several other ways. They must be doing it for perhaps RP purposes, and the mechanic behind gaining experience for this is pretty irrelevant to someone doing it just to have fun using some head cannon for their character.

@Reece.7341 said:

@"infrequentia.3465" said:ah yes remove leveling from crafting ,

This is not what I said at all.

How much of the player base is using crafting, which costs resources, to level up ALTS, when they already have another character with that crafting discipline maxed?

I did not say anything about removing the experience doing it the first time.

Players using crafting to level alts, are objectively wasting resources to do something they can do much easier several other ways. They must be doing it for perhaps RP purposes, and the mechanic behind gaining experience for this is pretty irrelevant to someone doing it just to have fun using some head cannon for their character.

A lot of players also have a bunch of lower grade materials in their bank, so it is also "free leveling". And not everyone got piles of "Tomes" around either. There are also people that constantly make new alts etc. It was much more popular in 2012 sure, but people still use it.

Personally only use it for Chef, which is a very cheap and easy way to get 8 free levels.

Also, as said above, it's is another drain for low level mats. Don't underestimate the benefit of that.

Also, you can learn all crafts on a single character, and swap between them. But I think the cost was something like 1-2 gold per time you swapped. I'd rather swap a character than spend gold. A more likely suggestion would be for ANet to release the expanders so we can learn all 8 (not counting scribe) crafts on a single character. Probably wouldn't take all that much work on their part, and they can sell it on the Gem Store.

You can learn all crafts on a single character for no cost at all, and you can swap them at anytime for silver if I'm not mistaken, it's so trivial I don't notice.

The debate being discussed here, is for those who change mains, or those who are doing legendary craft or who tend to do a lot of crafting, you are forced to relog onto other characters in order to do so. With recipes being account bound, and thankfully so, and ascended gear being account bound, there is no other purpose, other than experience gain, to level up a craft again on a second character.

In my opinion, and pretty much objective fact, Arena Net could increase the value of the multiple crafting discipline unlocks on the gemstore by making crafting account bound, and would be a nice convenience to the players who already have multiple max level characters which, is quite frankly the majority of the playerbase.

The counter argument is you can get a couple free levels from random less used mats... which any account, literally any account that plays this game any reasonable amount to warrant multiple characters AND WHO ALREADY HAS MAX CRAFTING PROFESSIONS, has plenty of access to tomes and writs of experience. You get ~16 tomes for just log-in rewards over 30 days and that is not including the bountiful number of them you get from any reward tracks. I'm not underestimating the value of that, I'm comparing that to the value of the other perks I've mentioned above, and to me, it's a no brainer. Account Bound Crafting.

Maybe a good implementation could be that, if crafting professions are account bound, you get more exp by crafting gear acording to your level, rather that from discovery, so you can level a character by crafting your own gear, per example, and not wasting materials in discoveries that hardly you will gonna use.

Archived