Guild Wars 2 translated into Brazilian Portuguese

Hello, ARENANET, good morning!I'm thinking that I want to post a topic in the forum about the translation of Guild Wars 2 into Brazilian Portuguese, but in the custom field of tools, there is no option to open attachments, since this attachment consists of thousands of IDs from Brazilians requesting translation for our language.we await an answer about it!

But when these "thousands" of Brazilians request a translation, doesn't that mean they are already ingame and can understand what's going on?

I gotta give you a quick answer which might be quick and dirty: The Russians tried it, too, and nope, that won't happen. You gotta stick to the world's language or may pass on.

I really think your best chance is to ask if they will put in support for fan-contributed caption files since what is voiced are all canned recordings. I do not have much hope for it though. A more realistic option might be a third party tool that takes sound output from your computer (you might be able to trigger this to only monitor gw2) and displays the associated caption. I can not see how realistically you are violating the third party add-on policy since you are not touching the client, but others might know better. If they used an actual logfile and always had npc speech go to it it would be SO much easier.

Friend, if you are not a developer of ARENANET, I suggest you do not disturb the initiative, because it was the suggestion of one of the ARENANET employee to post the forum, I am here informing you that you can not send the document via forum, since attachments can not be uncertainties. so I reaffirm, we have thousands of IDs filed in our petition. And know that not at any time, I mentioned that we (Brazilian players) are in charge, lol ... we hope a better understanding of his and other parts.

Anet has answered this before. I'd say about once a year it seems. Their answer has not changed. They don't have plans to add more language support in the near future.That said, best of luck trying to get them changed.

P.S. "Post the idea on the forums." is a default answer given to many a player in many a game.

@"OneYenShort.3189" said:Anet has answered this before. I'd say about once a year it seems. Their answer has not changed. They don't have plans to add more language support in the near future.That said, best of luck trying to get them changed.

P.S. "Post the idea on the forums." is a default answer given to many a player in many a game.

Yes to all of this. The best solution if you want to make a change is figure out how to accomplish your goals when the game lords eventually deny your request. Posting to the forums is just a way to get players talking about the issue, it almost never accomplishes anything directly.

Saying 'go post to the forums' is the game version of 'ok, but I need something to bill my time to first'. It is a way of saying no without saying no.

@"Thurock.3647"Here's an official response about translating GW2 into other languages:

Gaile Gray.6029ArenaNet ›

December 8, 2017People from around the world play Guild Wars 2. For most of them, the game is not presented in their native language. We localize for French, German, and Spanish because those gaming communities are large and there is a solid business reason for doing so. However, we do not have plans to localize for other languages. By the same token, we cannot accept and implement community-translated text, because verifying and implementing the input would be very time consuming and costly. (Consider that inputting text involves things beyond words -- it also can involve videos, animation, and more.)

We have received offers to do community translation for Russian, Hungarian, Czech, and several other languages. We regret that we are not able to offer Guild Wars 2 in every language, but doing so simply would not be feasible, even with the kind offers of the community.

I've talked to players from around the world, and I actually asked many of them what language they chose when playing the game. A surprising number of them, while they were native French, German, or Spanish speakers, told me they preferred to play in English. Most cited the opportunity to practice their language skills; some said they liked to play "exactly what the devs created." I hope that all players are able to choose a language that allows them to join in!

(Emphasis mine.)

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/307741/#Comment_307741

Hello good afternoon. I know that what I'm going to talk about does not refer only to me more to several brazilian players who already have a beautiful story regarding gw2, I do not care if the game is in English, but translate it to the Portuguese language of Brazil would be great. You from Arenanet would not lose, they would only win more players because I know many people who do not play because they do not understand the language well. Follow the example of the blizzard that translated the Word of Warcraft and won many new players and to this day profits from it. translate gw2 this is not only a request of a Brazilian player, but of several players who wish that this dream come true. # GW2PTBR Thank you.

tl;dr it's a lot more effort to provide quality translations than we think. And there's good evidence that fan-produced translations wouldn't be able to keep up with even the modest release schedule we have.

It's a great & noble idea to have the game made available in multiple languages besides the original four (or five if you include Mandarin); it's just not practical.

As a customer, of course it makes sense for ANet to add support for more languages. It makes the game appealing to a larger pool of players, more interesting for some existing players. The problem is: it's nothing close to cheap to do that. So from ANet's point of view, the question is: will we get enough new customers, spending enough at the gem shop to cover the cost & trouble (and additional future costs) to make this initiative a bigger priority than others?And the answer is going to be "no;" there just aren't that as many people as we think who will start playing GW2 because it's available in a new language, not compared to the total cost.

The usual customer response is, "well let us do our own translation. As Gaile said, that won't necessarily be any cheaper: the translations might seem free, but you still need some form of quality control, a tool to actually allow those translation to be seen, and, perhaps most importantly... it's a lot more translations than most of us realize.

Here's an interesting proxy for measuring how much interest there is in translating from English: the wikis. There are four official wikis, each managed by fans, written by fans, edited & moderated by fans. What ANet does is provide the servers, the software, and a modest set of rules (mostly around copyright notices).

• The English wiki has nearly 76k articles.
  • The French has 48k (about 63% of the size of the English wiki)
  • The German has just over 44k, (about 57%)
  • The Spanish has just over 7k (barely 10%)

The wiki is far easier to translate than the game, because the tools already exist to duplicate pages, to adapt widgets, and, of course, any data can be replicated (via the API or copy/paste). And if fans aren't even willing to volunteer to translate the wiki, why would we think that they would comprehensively translate the entire game? Do we really think it would be acceptable to have a stellar translation of PoF LS4.1 and have no translation of LS4.2? Or for one instance in LS4.2 to be well translated, but the next one to be barely worthy of Google?

And how exactly would fans gain access to the dialogue to translate? Surely we don't expect ANet to provide that before new content is released. So how long would speakers of a 5th language be reasonably be willing to wait to see the next story episode in their preferred tonue?

Hello everyone.I am one of the people, that I am counting on the work of GW2 in Portuguese. A lot of players, Brazilians are very fond of the game, but feel repressed by the language they offer, I am one of them. I ask you from ARENANET, to the DEVELOPERS, who helps us in this regard.We have a petition from several active players, who are joining the company ARENANET, to help us in this beautiful job, and you only have to gain from the effort.Note: At least subtitled the game for PTBR, would be a great advance. #GW2PTBRThank you all.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:If the demand is really there, ANet should look to carry out the translation then sell for 10k gems per account to compensate for the effort input.

! It's not going to happen at all.

ANET, you just have to win, that's for sure, just watch World Of Warcraft, it's living proof of all that I'm talking about.

@Hyoga.1034 said:

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:If the demand is really there, ANet should look to carry out the translation then sell for 10k gems per account to compensate for the effort input.

ANET, you just have to win, that's for sure, just watch World Of Warcraft, it's living proof of all that I'm talking about.

The movie?Edit: I don't know what's happened with WOW.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

The movie?

It is not speaking in the game, it is not a translation for PTBR, after they translated in the courage, which is an important return, now I am translating until the audios.

It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

ANet might be a little more interested in your suggestion if translators first show dedication to it by making a gw2 wiki in Portuguese with at least the number of articles that the English version has, 76K. If nothing else it will help the Portuguese speakers by having all dialog translated so it will be easier to understand and it will lay the groundwork for same translations in the game.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.Some comments on this thread is also rather.......ignorant? There are comments that do refuse the suggestion and answers in a correct manner (A-Net said no, because the major languages with highest income etc...) But other comments are simply smug responses. And that is where I am different I guess, I am not potentially losing anything nor gaining anything if A-Net decides to put the language in......So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

@Linken.6345 said:Yes and after that you want voice.Thats 10 diffrent voice actors 5 races 2 sexes for your story no it will cost much more then they gain for a 5 year old game mate.

no need to translate the lines, only the game, the interface the whole game, the lines do not need, in my opinion subtitled would be a great initiative.

@Hyoga.1034 said:nobody asked for opinions from anyone but the developers

The developers have specifically said: no. (They have thought about it and, on balance, it's not something they have planned to do). So if you want them to change their mind, wouldn't you want to know more about what's involved in making text in alternative language(s) available? The more you know, the better you'd be able to offer up a suggestion that allows ANet to tackle the problem differently.

Archived