Do you think Ele should ever get Weapon Swap?

Cyrin.1035

With the sword being melee focused, there are still situations where you may need a strong and consistent weapon of long range and don't have the ability to go out of combat to swap weps from the inventory. Could it be possible to give Ele the wep swap feature but under more conditions than the wep swap on other professions? Such as a longer recharge time for the swap or traits that allow it at the cost of longer cooldowns on all skills.

It would be great to swap between my sword and my staff. (or longbow, one day I hope).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:What id like to see is 2 attuments per weapon swap...like u can pair fire and lighting to gether with sc/d and water earth will be paired with staff..... 2 attunments per weapon so u can have 2 different weapon sets

that is worth a like!

(just gotta check if there are combinations that allow too much mobility / invul /block / whatsoever)

I don't think the Ele needs an in-combat weapon swap.The following things have been discussed here for years now - and I still think they have a place to be considered:

• give the Ele an "out of combat weapon swap" (the weapon swap button only turns active when you are considered out of combat, like skill changing etc.)
  • with the abundance of Chill in game theses days, and no other class and their weapon swap ability affected by Chill like the Ele, it would be nice for Chill not to affect attunement recharge.

@redcomyn.4651 said:No, I don't think it should. With just one weapon, it is like it has 4 different weapons (each element). You can, of course, change weapons between fights so you can choose whatever you think is appropriate for a coming fight.

So you go into a fight you believe is melee with your sword. It suddenly turns into a 1200+ long range fight and you can't swap weps. Are you still happy with not being able to swap to your long range wep?

@Cyrin.1035 said:

@redcomyn.4651 said:No, I don't think it should. With just one weapon, it is like it has 4 different weapons (each element). You can, of course, change weapons between fights so you can choose whatever you think is appropriate for a coming fight.

So you go into a fight you believe is melee with your sword. It suddenly turns into a 1200+ long range fight and you can't swap weps. Are you still happy with not being able to swap to your long range wep?

Or you use focus that have quite a lot of tool to deal with range combat.Or you slot conjure frostbow or conjure fireaxe or conjure fiery greatsword.Or you slot some arcane spells to nuke from afar.Or you slot some cantrip to give you enough breather to close the gap.Or signet of water / signet of earth to reduce your opponent's mobility.

However, it's not like dagger don't have any gap closer on both main hand and off-hand. Even sword don't lack leaps...

And surprisingly, even if all of that wasn't available, there would still be the possibility to use this very usefull thing that is called LoS. (when someone try to kite you, just force him to come in your range.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Or you use focus that have quite a lot of tool to deal with range combat.Or you slot conjure frostbow or conjure fireaxe or conjure fiery greatsword.Or you slot some arcane spells to nuke from afar.Or you slot some cantrip to give you enough breather to close the gap.Or
signet of water
/
signet of earth
to reduce your opponent's mobility.

However, it's not like dagger don't have any gap closer on both main hand and off-hand. Even sword don't lack leaps...

And surprisingly, even if all of that wasn't available, there would still be the possibility to use this very usefull thing that is called LoS. (when someone try to kite you, just force him to come in your range.

SMH nope. None of that is good enough or efficient in a long range battle. A swap to a long range wep to make it an actual fight instead of a catch-up is much more viable.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:What id like to see is 2 attuments per weapon swap...like u can pair fire and lighting to gether with sc/d and water earth will be paired with staff..... 2 attunments per weapon so u can have 2 different weapon sets

That could work depending on how it's implemented. I was thinking the same or make a second weapon set as the secondary wep and set it to only one attunement but that attunement has increased stats or buffs.

@Aetatis.5418Thank you.....its an idea i always had when i 1st started to play ele. Mainly because of sigil usage. Is why i came up with it....because we as eles only have 2 weapons while all other classes get 4, we are stuck with only 2 sigils in total while the rest of the games classes can use up to 4.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:@Aetatis.5418Thank you.....its an idea i always had when i 1st started to play ele. Mainly because of sigil usage. Is why i came up with it....because we as eles only have 2 weapons while all other classes get 4, we are stuck with only 2 sigils in total while the rest of the games classes can use up to 4.

engineer got the same problem.both professions are stuck with 2 sigils. which is a big drawback imo.i cant combine different sigils. e.g. i dont even think about using stacking sigils on those two professions, because it "blocks" one sigil spot all the time.

so adding a weapon swap and doing 2 attunements per weapon sounds "unique". personally... good enough of an idea (!) for the next e-spec

I always wanted an elite spec that gets weapon swap. A focused mage that can´t trait arcane. He equipes two weapon sets that are each bound to one of the selected elements. Then get a 5 second swap on it.Or a high mage that selects one element and gets a weapon swap while always attuned to the same element e.g. fire mage, water mage .... And he then gets an an elemental companion most likely as a range pet just not swapable :-).

@Cyrin.1035 said:

@"redcomyn.4651" said:No, I don't think it should. With just one weapon, it is like it has 4 different weapons (each element). You can, of course, change weapons between fights so you can choose whatever you think is appropriate for a coming fight.

Or you use focus that have quite a lot of tool to deal with range combat.Or you slot conjure frostbow or conjure fireaxe or conjure fiery greatsword.Or you slot some arcane spells to nuke from afar.Or you slot some cantrip to give you enough breather to close the gap.Or
signet of water
/
signet of earth

SMH nope. None of that is good enough or efficient in a long range battle. A swap to a long range wep to make it an actual fight instead of a catch-up is much more viable.

So you are saying that because none of those thing are "efficient" it's better to do as if they don't exist? Most warrior think that their range option ain't efficient do they need more weapon swap? Just how many profession out there waste there only 2nd precious weapon swap just to diversify their range option?

The elementalist have slightly more option than any other profession due to the fact that they already effectively have 4 weapon swap which proc their signets and have traits that support them with effects that are very close to on swap sigil's effects. I point out that even then you have plenty of options to force the opponent to stop trying to get you from range while you also get the possibility to use some kit which is an almost free extra weaponset to deal with your opponent at range. As well as plenty other options. And yet you brush this off...

Are you serious? You got everything at hand, yet you ask for more and shamelessly say that what you got is not "good enough". The elementalist is already the most versatile profession of guild wars 2, some even point at it saying that it's to versatile for it's own good and need to be more specialized and yet you're there wanting more versatility. Why not ask to be able to trait a fourth or even a fifth traitline while you're at it?

What good would have a 2nd weapon set do to the elementalist? You'd have raid guild that exploit it to it's full potential and lambda players would cry that the elementalist became even harder to play? You already have players that feel like a 2 attunments rotation that seldom enter a third attunment is hard to play, yet you'd want to put a 2nd weaponset on top of that? And thus to what end? Just because you feel like you should be able to have answer to every single situation you can encounter? Ridiculous.

@Wolfric.9380 said:I always wanted an elite spec that gets weapon swap. A focused mage that can´t trait arcane. He equipes two weapon sets that are each bound to one of the selected elements. Then get a 5 second swap on it.Or a high mage that selects one element and gets a weapon swap while always attuned to the same element e.g. fire mage, water mage .... And he then gets an an elemental companion most likely as a range pet just not swapable :-).

Something like this would actually be pretty nice for a new elite spec I agree. Sounds very possible to make as well. Add an extra weapon slot when turning on the new trait and have 2 elements chosen the same way in which you can pick stances for revs. Use F1 for swapping between the 2 elements while being able to weapon swap.

@Cyrin.1035 said:So you go into a fight you believe is melee with your sword. It suddenly turns into a 1200+ long range fight and you can't swap weps. Are you still happy with not being able to swap to your long range wep?

Been like this since launch, don't see a sudden desire for changing this outside a possible new elite spec. Sure, sword/dagger is pretty much melee only. But it's your choice to go that route. You're free to use other weapons and think ahead for yourself what you need in the battles to come. I rarely see people use sword/focus, but it's also very viable and gives you ranged options at the cost of some damage.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"redcomyn.4651" said:No, I don't think it should. With just one weapon, it is like it has 4 different weapons (each element). You can, of course, change weapons between fights so you can choose whatever you think is appropriate for a coming fight.

signet of water
/
signet of earth

So you are saying that because none of those thing are "efficient" it's better to do as if they don't exist? Most warrior think that their range option ain't efficient do they need more weapon swap? Just how many profession out there waste there only 2nd precious weapon swap just to diversify their range option?

The elementalist have slightly more option than any other profession due to the fact that they already effectively have 4 weapon swap which proc their signets and have traits that support them with effects that are very close to on swap sigil's effects. I point out that even then you have plenty of options to force the opponent to stop trying to get you from range while you also get the possibility to use some kit which is an almost free extra weaponset to deal with your opponent at range. As well as plenty other options. And yet you brush this off...

Are you serious? You got everything at hand, yet you ask for more and shamelessly say that what you got is not "good enough". The elementalist is already the most versatile profession of guild wars 2, some even point at it saying that it's to versatile for it's own good and need to be more specialized and yet you're there wanting more versatility. Why not ask to be able to trait a fourth or even a fifth traitline while you're at it?

What good would have a 2nd weapon set do to the elementalist? You'd have raid guild that exploit it to it's full potential and lambda players would cry that the elementalist became even harder to play? You already have players that feel like a 2 attunments rotation that seldom enter a third attunment is hard to play, yet you'd want to put a 2nd weaponset on top of that? And thus to what end? Just because you feel like you should be able to have answer to every single situation you can encounter? Ridiculous.

signet of water
/
signet of earth

You can use those options if you want. I wish you good luck. But against a 1500 range character or PvE mechanics that prevent melee entirely you are useless or wasting time trying to make up for your lack of range when a simple long range weapon can get the job done. I could run circles around your weaver as a ranger or deadeye and you wouldn't stand a chance. That's asking for a basic function any character in any game should have. I rather have fewer skills and the ability to use them than a bunch of skills and no way to use them. It doesn't matter how many skills you have if you can't use them because they are not within range.

Warrior has fantastic range options and weapon swap. They even have wep swap reduction. That isn't even close to a decent comparison to the Ele's situation. You would only be "wasting" your second wep option if you didn't know how to build your character properly with the second weapon.

No, I didn't "brush off" your ideas. They are all ways to have range as a sword weaver. Ones I've tested thoroughly and have used many times over the years. But you are stating as if you have never used these options before in an actual ranged situation, because someone who has knows the weaknesses and flaws with all of those options. They would not last in a high dps long range fight.

There is no such thing as a "free extra weaponset". You have to build for that conjure weapon which takes space of other skills and traits as well as time and rotation. The fact that you think this is free and that you think any of those options are a viable ranged option proves you do not have enough experience with the Ele or for this subject.

@Retsuko.2035 said:

@Wolfric.9380 said:I always wanted an elite spec that gets weapon swap. A focused mage that can´t trait arcane. He equipes two weapon sets that are each bound to one of the selected elements. Then get a 5 second swap on it.Or a high mage that selects one element and gets a weapon swap while always attuned to the same element e.g. fire mage, water mage .... And he then gets an an elemental companion most likely as a range pet just not swapable :-).

Something like this would actually be pretty nice for a new elite spec I agree. Sounds very possible to make as well. Add an extra weapon slot when turning on the new trait and have 2 elements chosen the same way in which you can pick stances for revs. Use F1 for swapping between the 2 elements while being able to weapon swap.

@"Cyrin.1035" said:So you go into a fight you believe is melee with your sword. It suddenly turns into a 1200+ long range fight and you can't swap weps. Are you still happy with not being able to swap to your long range wep?

Been like this since launch, don't see a sudden desire for changing this outside a possible new elite spec. Sure, sword/dagger is pretty much melee only. But it's your choice to go that route. You're free to use other weapons and think ahead for yourself what you need in the battles to come. I rarely see people use sword/focus, but it's also very viable and gives you ranged options at the cost of some damage.

Because something has been a certain way since launch does not mean it should remain that way. What else has been a certain way since launch and changed? This certainly wouldn't be the first. There are reasons for updates to the game... to make it better.

Yes, giving the wep swap on a new elite spec is just fine. As long as the option exists. The point is having the ability to change the weapon when it's needed in combat like most of the other professions. It doesn't matter what you "think" you need ahead in the battle when it can change any moment and you NEED a consistent ranged option. You can only plan a certain amount and you can only bring with you even less.

Focus is not a viable ranged dps option. It's a ranged, disabling, defensive, support, off-hand weapon and no, choosing it is not at the cost of "some damage". It is not a viable damage source at all. It's also not a consistent source of damage. Have any of you actually played Ele before?

@Cyrin.1035 said:

I am using dagger/warhorn on my elementalist, so I face that lots of times, but I am able to close the gap pretty darn quick. That is just the price you pay for having 4 attunement swaps. Sounds like you want your cake and eat it, too. It simply wouldn't be fair to anyone else.

@infrequentia.3465 said:sure give elementalist a 2nd weapon swap

BUT every other class gets 2 more

ele already has attunement swap effectively giving it 4 weapons already

YOU choose to go in full melee on a ranged encounter

Read the other posts in the thread. Then respond again. If too lazy, here is TL;DR: 4 melee weapons does not help your ranged option.

@redcomyn.4651 said:

I am using dagger/warhorn on my elementalist, so I face that lots of times, but I am able to close the gap pretty darn quick. That is just the price you pay for having 4 attunement swaps. Sounds like you want your cake and eat it, too. It simply wouldn't be fair to anyone else.

Do you have a video of your ele surviving a high dps long range fight? I have half a cake. I want the whole thing. Though I can do with a little less frosting.

@Cyrin.1035 said:

signet of water
/
signet of earth

You can use those options if you want. I wish you good luck. But against a 1500 range character or PvE mechanics that prevent melee entirely you are useless or wasting time trying to make up for your lack of range when a simple long range weapon can get the job done. I could run circles around your weaver as a ranger or deadeye and you wouldn't stand a chance. That's asking for a basic function any character in any game should have. I rather have fewer skills and the ability to use them than a bunch of skills and no way to use them. It doesn't matter how many skills you have if you can't use them because they are not within range.

Warrior has fantastic range options and weapon swap. They even have wep swap reduction. That isn't even close to a decent comparison to the Ele's situation. You would only be "wasting" your second wep option if you didn't know how to build your character properly with the second weapon.

No, I didn't "brush off" your ideas. They are all ways to have range as a sword weaver. Ones I've tested thoroughly and have used many times over the years. But you are stating as if you have never used these options before in an actual ranged situation, because someone who has knows the weaknesses and flaws with all of those options. They would not last in a high dps long range fight.

There is no such thing as a "free extra weaponset". You have to build for that conjure weapon which takes space of other skills and traits as well as time and rotation. The fact that you think this is free and that you think any of those options are a viable ranged option proves you do not have enough experience with the Ele or for this subject.

I'll just say that you think to highly of other profession and to poorly of the elementalist. Every single profession have to pay the price for their strength and elementalist have to do it as well. Each Elementalist's weaponset offer way much variety of option than other profession's weaponset due to their 4 attunment, not being able to be very proficient in both long range and melee range at the same time is but a small price to pay.

GW2's PvP is a game of point. With your team you have to apply a strategy where you will be able to gain more points than your foes. For this you have to capture area and keep them. Killing other grant some extra point, yes but that's all. If your foes want to do a 1500 range fight, that's it's problem, as an elementalist you've got more than enough tools to deal with it and let him waste it's time while you keep the area and the points coming to your team.

As for WvW, this is the exact same principle, except that it involve a lot more players. Know your enemy, know yourself and you will never lose a battle. Force your enemy to fight you on favorable ground, you have the tools for that. Being able to control the fight in such a way that you will not lose the fight is what being skilled is. Having everything given to you on a silver plater don't make you a skilled player, it make you a spoiled player. And you visibly want to be a spoiled player.

@Cyrin.1035 said:

Do you have a video of your ele surviving a high dps long range fight? I have half a cake. I want the whole thing. Though I can do with a little less frosting.

? i pick a ranged duel annytime with my scepter/F tempest... My weaknes is too much boon corrupt and sometimes chain CC melee. All the bow users just cry and die. (OK P/P thief too).

@Dadnir.5038 said:

signet of water
/
signet of earth

I'll just say that you think to highly of other profession and to poorly of the elementalist. Every single profession have to pay the price for their strength and elementalist have to do it as well. Each Elementalist's weaponset offer way much variety of option than other profession's weaponset due to their 4 attunment, not being able to be very proficient in both long range and melee range at the same time is but a small price to pay.

GW2's PvP is a game of point. With your team you have to apply a strategy where you will be able to gain more points than your foes. For this you have to capture area and keep them. Killing other grant some extra point, yes but that's all. If your foes want to do a 1500 range fight, that's it's problem, as an elementalist you've got more than enough tools to deal with it and let him waste it's time while you keep the area and the points coming to your team.

As for WvW, this is the exact same principle, except that it involve a lot more players. Know your enemy, know yourself and you will never lose a battle. Force your enemy to fight you on favorable ground, you have the tools for that. Being able to control the fight in such a way that you will not lose the fight is what being skilled is. Having everything given to you on a silver plater don't make you a skilled player, it make you a spoiled player. And you visibly want to be a spoiled player.

Not at all. Ele is my favorite class. I know it through and through. I've won many melee vs. ranged fights and I know the factors. It is possible to win in a high dps situation. But that depends on sacrificing way too much especially your time just to pull it off. It's redundant and there needs to be another option, even if there are new trade-offs.

"If your foes want to do a 1500 range fight, that's it's problem"

Wrong. That's your problem and unless you handle that problem and quick, you're dead.

"Know your enemy, know yourself and you will never lose a battle."

Again, wrong. You will lose a battle. There has never been a player who hasn't regardless of how skilled they are. What you are arguing for is weakness. I am arguing for a compromise. Basic range versatility for less skills or lessened ability to use skills so quickly. On an elite spec built around this it would be great.

@Wolfric.9380 said:

? i pick a ranged duel annytime with my scepter/F tempest... My weaknes is too much boon corrupt and sometimes chain CC melee. All the bow users just cry and die. (OK P/P thief too).

Of course. But this discussion is about ele melee weps, primarily the sword and the lack of a consistent ranged wep to swap to in a fight that changes from melee to long range at any moment.

Archived