How tall is too tall for a Charr

What would be average height? I just bought this game. I have been obsessing about this small detail. I made one and I deleted it because compared to his brother and sisters. He was too short. Now I worry he may be too tall. I'm having him as a guardian. Should I go for very tall, or med or normal?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a concern I never thought about. Personally I make all my characters short, because Im short. That also goes for my charr.I recon the middle of the height slider is the average, regardless of race, you can then go above or below that. I guess if you compare to other player characters and not npc, the average will be taller... seems its the trend to go tall... maybe.

I don't really think there is such a thing as too tall or too short for a charr... or the other races. Unless you found a way to break the sliders.

@"Zeefa.3915" said:Thats a concern I never thought about. Personally I make all my characters short, because Im short. That also goes for my charr.I recon the middle of the height slider is the average, regardless of race, you can then go above or below that. I guess if you compare to other player characters and not npc, the average will be taller... seems its the trend to go tall... maybe.

I don't really think there is such a thing as too tall or too short for a charr... or the other races. Unless you found a way to break the sliders.

Thanks. I sometimes have to get things "just so" I can be very...specific about details. I will obsess over something and then delete it. If it feels out of whack. I think your right. I compared him to other charrs in starting area. He seems fairly average compared to other sizes. I just don't want to seem too big. I worry that it might be a problem when I'm in groups of people but they shouldn't mind.

Heights in game are...kind of strange. My charr is about three-fourths of the way up the height slider, here, and that looks roughly average compared to other charr.

As for how tall you "should" make your character, it's really up to you. Keep in mind, however, that if you want to try jumping puzzles with this charr (or any character), smaller is better. A very large/broad character will often get in the way of the camera angles, which can mess with perception in difficult jumping puzzles. But if that's not a concern to you, then make him whatever size you please! NPC's are all heights - my tiny sylvari (nearly at the smallest height possible) once came up to the shoulder of a norn NPC.

@Batel.9206 said:[...]if you want to try jumping puzzles with this charr (or any character), smaller is better. A very large/broad character will often get in the way of the camera angles, which can mess with perception in difficult jumping puzzles.

I wouldn't recommend using charr for jumping puzzles in general, they are kind of clunky.

@"Batel.9206" said:Heights in game are...kind of strange. My charr is about three-fourths of the way up the height slider, here, and that looks roughly average compared to other charr.

As for how tall you "should" make your character, it's really up to you. Keep in mind, however, that if you want to try jumping puzzles with this charr (or any character), smaller is better. A very large/broad character will often get in the way of the camera angles, which can mess with perception in difficult jumping puzzles. But if that's not a concern to you, then make him whatever size you please! NPC's are all heights - my tiny sylvari (nearly at the smallest height possible) once came up to the shoulder of a norn NPC.

I wasn't aware there were jumping puzzles. I am brand new to this game. I played this game when it very first came out. I forgot which account I did that on. I made a new one and just in time for the expansions also when do I get my cool mounts and stuff? I notice some other people have it. I bought the standard collection so I should get it too right?

I wouldn't be overly concerned to the point where you are constantly rerolling. You can change your appearance at any time with a total makeover kit for a few bucks or if one drops from black lion chest, of which you can get keys for without spending money. The only choices set in stone are race and profession.

Also to note that the makeover kits have exclusive options for faces, hair, horns, hair color etc.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I wasn't aware there were jumping puzzles. I am brand new to this game. I played this game when it very first came out. I forgot which account I did that on. I made a new one and just in time for the expansions also when do I get my cool mounts and stuff? I notice some other people have it. I bought the standard collection so I should get it too right?

You get mounts once you have at least one level 80 character who starts playing the PoF storyline. You get the first mount in the opening instance of PoF's story. The others are obtained from specific vendors in each of the PoF zones. Oh, and once you unlock a mount, you can use it on any and all of that account's characters, even non-80s.

I would not recommend using the L80 Boost for inexperienced players, anyway. It's best to learn or re-familiarize yourself by leveling 1 or 2 characters naturally.As for story, there is (in order) Personal Story, Season 1 (no longer available - recap in LA or Wiki or Youtube), Season 2 (purchased with Gems acquired with cash or in-game Gold), Heart of Thorns (Gliders and Elite Specializations-1 unlocked), Season 3 (purchased same as Season 2), Path of Fire (Mounts and Elite Specializations-2 unlocked) and the current Season 4 (any missed Episodes can be purchased with Gems). Living World Season Episodes (Episode 2 of Season 4) can be unlocked at no charge by logging in when live, as well.

Welcome return, and good luck.

Taller characters are much more visible. If you want other players to notice you, go tall.Smaller characters let you see much more of the environment. If you want to see clearly around, like when admiring other character designs or doing Jumping Puzzles, go small.If you RP, then go with what makes more sense for your character.

Personally, I hate visual clutter and love JPs, so almost always choose small.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:What would be average height?

I've tested it and came to the conclusion that the "perfect average" is five notches below maximum. I have tested with Charr story NPCs, including Emperor Smodur as well as female Charrs, who are just as tall, which I love (can't think of all their names from the top of my head, sorry).

I find it a pleasant fit compared to those and non-Charr NPCs. Bigger Charrs just look ridiculous to me, like mutants (the same goes for Norn, because making your character as tall as possible says a lot about your own need for attention ;) ).

I made my charr as big as possible because I wanted an intimidating look for him. His size is not conducive to jumping puzzles (as mentioned above) but I’m still able to muddle through most of them regardless. I think character size is a matter of preference and there isn’t a right or wrong size for any toon you play. Just as real humans come in various sizes and body shapes, I like the flexibility of the character creator to make charr (or norm or sylvari or human or asura) look tall and skinny or short and stocky or any other mix of size and form. If it were real life we’d just accept it and call it genetics.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Bigger Charrs just look ridiculous to me, like mutants (the same goes for Norn, because making your character as tall as possible says a lot about your own need for attention ;) ).

That’s a pretty bold assumption for people you’ve never met. It might be true for you, and that’s okay, but when I built my charr to be massive, getting attention from other players was the last thing I was thinking of. I wanted a big charr just because I wanted him to be big. That’s all. To boot, he chose the Priory path in his personal story because he was more of a thinker than a fighter which his size might imply. I like the juxtaposition of looking like a fighter and being a researcher, proving that appearances can be deceiving. That’s the way I approached his story and it works for me. Don’t assume ill of others until you’ve met them and have proof to support your assumptions.

@Aurelian Omenkind.2470 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Bigger Charrs just look ridiculous to me, like mutants (the same goes for Norn, because making your character as tall as possible says a lot about your own need for attention ;) ).

That’s a pretty bold assumption for people you’ve never met. It might be true for you, and that’s okay, but when I built my charr to be massive, getting attention from other players was the last thing I was thinking of. I wanted a big charr just because I wanted him to be big. That’s all. To boot, he chose the Priory path in his personal story because he was more of a thinker than a fighter which his size might imply. I like the juxtaposition of looking like a fighter and being a researcher, proving that appearances can be deceiving. That’s the way I approached his story and it works for me. Don’t assume ill of others until you’ve met them and have proof to support your assumptions.

People do judge sometimes. That's exactly the reason I wanted to be certain I didn't make one too large. I become obsessive about small things how people will see it. I first made mine was way too short. I think I'm about three notches from Max. I spend time going back and forth on it. People do judge silently like that one poster you responded too and not everyone says that out loud.

The only regret I've ever had is in making something too small. I find especially in a crowd that if you're trying to show off your Fashion Wars skillz it's only harder to see the smaller models. This is what I hate about Asurans - they might look great, but no one can tell, because they're so scaled down you can't really make out much detail unless you go right up to them and move your camera just-so.

@Biff.5312 said:The only regret I've ever had is in making something too small. I find especially in a crowd that if you're trying to show off your Fashion Wars skillz it's only harder to see the smaller models. This is what I hate about Asurans - they might look great, but no one can tell, because they're so scaled down you can't really make out much detail unless you go right up to them and move your camera just-so.

I'm curious what stuff am I missing out on. Being a new player. I bought the standard edition. Are their stories I don't have access to? are they on the market? I know they mentioned. I'll have more stories when I hit 80. Is there anything I don't have currently. Could I buy stories or weapons in the shop? whats good for a charr?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"Biff.5312" said:The only regret I've ever had is in making something too small. I find especially in a crowd that if you're trying to show off your Fashion Wars skillz it's only harder to see the smaller models. This is what I hate about Asurans - they might look great, but no one can tell, because they're so scaled down you can't really make out much detail unless you go right up to them and move your camera just-so.

I'm curious what stuff am I missing out on. Being a new player. I bought the standard edition. Are their stories I don't have access to? are they on the market? I know they mentioned. I'll have more stories when I hit 80. Is there anything I don't have currently. Could I buy stories or weapons in the shop? whats good for a charr?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_WorldThere are Living World Seasons you probably have yet to acquire.

You can buy Weapons and Weapons skins on the Trading Post and in the Gem Store.

(The Wiki [link above] is a great resource for all things GW2.)