Ideas for a Summer Event

I've always felt like GW2 needs a summer event. Something to break up the time between SAB and Halloween which is a massive stretch of time. So I created what I think would be a fun event over at MMOGames. Here are a few of the highlights:

Return of the Labyrinthine Cliffs - Without mountsFishingMassive Party

You can read the whole thing here.

But I'm curious, what would you like to see in a GW2 summer event?

They could just pick an existing map with a large lake, and make a beach event there with few events, like Skimmer Race over the lake, or shark attack etc...

With new summer swimming suit costums they could even make mass amount of money as well.Also they could just drop a weapon skin that turns staffs to fishing rods etc...

I see big potential here. :D

Yes, they certainly need more festivals. Right now all of their festivals are clustered over a few months that are all next to each other. That haloweenwintersdaynewyearanniversarysab season then a long stretch until the next one. Most of them are tied to rl stuff so are unmovable but it would have made sense to have sab at another time of the year.

We do have the unofficial lgbt pride march in the summer. Anet may want to pick a weekend near that (but not on the exact date) for a festival too.

• 7 months later...

@gaborkaldy.3210 said:They could just pick an existing map with a large lake, and make a beach event there with few events, like Skimmer Race over the lake, or shark attack etc...

With new summer swimming suit costums they could even make mass amount of money as well.Also they could just drop a weapon skin that turns staffs to fishing rods etc...

This right here. I’m kinda bringing this thread back to the forefront as winter is here (I love Christmas), but that also means we’re closer to next Summer (2019) now. Please, I want a real SUMMER event. We’re talking beach parties, event games regarding a lot of water even (I like the skimmer race idea for example, as one of the events), diving areas, umbrellas, etc. Even event items like drinks and beach food, etc. It could be held at an existing place, but I really think a whole island dedicated to a beach paradise would be awesome and the way to go (yes Southsun Cove exists with Pearl Islet and its auto-underwear feature. Except it’s a way too small of an area for an event of this size, and the rest of the Cove is “hell” lol) Also NEED to get some actual trunks and bikini’s going on here. Not that ungodly yellow “underwear” we all have on. Real swimming trunks and bikini’s for all. And even other things like summer hat skins, summer weapon skins, backpacks, etc. The money and fun is there. I’ve seen so many other threads, and people, asking for this to happen. Please Anet, you know it sounds awesome :)

@Carnafex.6308 said:

@gaborkaldy.3210 said:They could just pick an existing map with a large lake, and make a beach event there with few events, like Skimmer Race over the lake, or shark attack etc...

This right here. I’m kinda bringing this thread back to the forefront as winter is here (I love Christmas), but that also means we’re closer to next Summer (2019) now. Please, I want a real SUMMER event. We’re talking beach parties, event games regarding a lot of water even (I like the skimmer race idea for example, as one of the events), diving areas, umbrellas, etc. Even event items like drinks and beach food, etc. It could be held at an existing place, but I really think a whole island dedicated to a beach paradise would be awesome and the way to go (yes Southsun Cove exists with Pearl Islet and its auto-underwear feature. Except it’s a way too small of an area for an event of this size, and the rest of the Cove is “hell” lol) Also NEED to get some actual trunks and bikini’s going on here. Not that ungodly yellow “underwear” we all have on. Real swimming trunks and bikini’s for all. And even other things like summer hat skins, summer weapon skins, backpacks, etc. The money and fun is there. I’ve seen so many other threads, and people, asking for this to happen. Please Anet, you know it sounds awesome :)

We got a lot of that last year with the return of the Festival of the Four Winds,which I'm pretty sure they said is now going to be an annual festival. There was a whole beach area with NPCs relaxing, a changing room which automatically hid your armour like the beach on Southsun and a lot of players did use it for parties. There was also a skimmer race, a boat which you could ride around the bay (not technically an event but it was extremely popular), pirates, new kites and some new festival/zephyrite themed items as well as returning stuff.

About the only thing missing was swimwear costumes, which may or may not happen in future years.

@Zeefa.3915 said:I'd love a summer event. I would absolutely hate it being in Divinity Reach. That city gets way too much love as it is. Like I would really really really hate it.

I agree, Lions Arch, Divinities Reach, And Rata Sum already have holidays at them, give me a holiday in Holebrak, The Grove, and The Black Citadel areas, it’s not like those races don’t have holidays too.

If only October wasn’t one of the big events already, they could do an actual “meatober fest” in Holebrak and Black citadel.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@Zeefa.3915 said:I'd love a summer event. I would absolutely hate it being in Divinity Reach. That city gets way too much love as it is. Like I would really really really hate it.

I agree, Lions Arch, Divinities Reach, And Rata Sum already have holidays at them, give me a holiday in Holebrak, The Grove, and The Black Citadel areas, it’s not like those races don’t have holidays too.

If only October wasn’t one of the big events already, they could do an actual “meatober fest” in Holebrak and Black citadel.

As far as I know there isn't a definite date for Meatoberfest. Yes it's obviously inspired by the real-life Oktoberfest but I don't think anything has ever said it happens in October. Especially since the only example of it in-game is there all year round. So if they wanted to make it into a festival instead of just a small themed area they could have it at any time of the year.

IMO what Anet should have done is planned from the start to have 6 festivals a year - Wintersday in Divinity's Reach, new ones for the asura, sylvari, norn and charr in their cities and Halloween in Lion's Arch. I know that seems like 2 human themed holidays but I'd hate to lose Halloween as I think the lore is interesting and it allows for lots of fun events, and it wouldn't make sense to move that to Divinity's Reach because it's 'run' by Mad King Thorn and LA was his capital.

Unfortunately it's too late to start that now and I'd be wary of adding too many festivals, but it would be good to have a charr and/or norn themed one.

@Danikat.8537 said:

As far as I know there isn't a definite date for Meatoberfest. Yes it's obviously inspired by the real-life Oktoberfest but I don't think anything has ever said it happens in October. Especially since the only example of it in-game is there all year round. So if they wanted to make it into a festival instead of just a small themed area they could have it at any time of the year.

IMO what Anet should have done is planned from the start to have 6 festivals a year - Wintersday in Divinity's Reach, new ones for the asura, sylvari, norn and charr in their cities and Halloween in Lion's Arch. I know that seems like 2 human themed holidays but I'd hate to lose Halloween as I think the lore is interesting and it allows for lots of fun events, and it wouldn't make sense to move that to Divinity's Reach because it's 'run' by Mad King Thorn and LA was his capital.

Unfortunately it's too late to start that now and I'd be wary of adding too many festivals, but it would be good to have a charr and/or norn themed one.

Yeah I fully agree, it’s a bit late, but I think Charr/Norn could totally have a shared festival similar to the new Queens Jubilee that has two smaller festivals going on at the same time, just have one in Holebrak region and one in Black Citadel region.

I get sylvsri not really having one due to the whole only being around for like 10years or so, but I feel like they could have an awesome spring time festival.

Archived