How to become a VIP

If it's the Chinese server VIP system you're talking about then I think it's an upgrade you buy on the gem store.

If not can you tell us what this VIP tag looks like so we can work out what it is? There's nothing on the NA and EU servers called a VIP tag, but there's lots of things you could have seen which might look like one, including commander tags, mentor tags, PvP rank badges, world completion badges and the Arenanet guild logo. If you can describe it or post a picture of one we can tell you what it is and how to get it.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I'm very new to the game and I don't quite know how to get that cool VIP tag I see on some people, what does VIP offer, and how do I become one?

Hi. I don't think I've seen a VIP tag, but I have seen guilds named VIP, so if you're seeing something like Fred Player.1234 [VIP] then that's their guild tag, and not a special designation.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I'm very new to the game and I don't quite know how to get that cool VIP tag I see on some people, what does VIP offer, and how do I become one?

Hi. I don't think I've seen a VIP tag, but I have seen guilds named VIP, so if you're seeing something like Fred Player.1234 [VIP] then that's their guild tag, and not a special designation.

Ah. Yes, I've seen the VIP in purple letters. I assumed it was the person. I'm really new. I just that tag on my first day. Someone ran past me with it. It looked nice.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Ah. Yes, I've seen the VIP in purple letters. I assumed it was the person. I'm really new. I just that tag on my first day. Someone ran past me with it. It looked nice.

The purple letters intrigues me. I thought it would be green. Hmmm...

In any case, Icemanfrost, don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll all try to help you, and I want to be sure to say "Welcome to Tyria" and wish you well in your journey!

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:On a serious note are you talking this?

The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

@Danikat.8537 said:

As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

The purple letters intrigues me. I thought it would be green. Hmmm...

In any case, Icemanfrost, don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll all try to help you, and I want to be sure to say "Welcome to Tyria" and wish you well in your journey!

I found it very interesting myself. I remember it because the letters stood out. It wasn't in green and it was just the "VIP" in purple. I thought it said "VIP player" Maybe it was the zone. It asked me "do you want to go to a more populated area of the same map?" it randomly synced me in a more high population place of the same map. It interested me. Maybe I was mistaken though. Thank you very much. It's great to be here. :)

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

It's ran/managed by a different company.

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:On a serious note are you talking this?

Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:On a serious note are you talking this?

Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

As I understand it the Chinese VIP system is the result of 2 things:1) American companies are not allowed to operate directly in China, they have to go through a Chinese partner who gets final say on everything2) Free-to-play games with heavy pay-to-win elements are the most common MMOs in China

Arenanet's Chinese partner thought that Guild Wars 2 as it was would be too strange for Chinese players. When it was first released there was no free version of GW2 and I've heard that in China they had to focus the advertising on explaining why you had to buy the game up front, because Chinese players wouldn't expect that. Apparently they thought that adding some systems from free-to-play games would be both more profitable and make the game seem more familiar to Chinese players.

(I've also heard rumours that had mixed results because some people got GW2 because they'd heard it was different to other MMOs and were unhappy to find the same systems included, especially when they weren't in the US/EU version. But I don't know how true that is and if it's any more significant than the usual problem of being unable to keep everyone happy no matter what you do.)

Archived