Full Counter

Loop.8106

Absorb the next attack against you and counterattack all foes around you. Foes struck by the counter attack are interrupted.

Damage: 734 (2.0)?Damage Reduced: 100%Stability (2s): Cannot be knocked down, pushed back, pulled, launched, stunned, dazed, floated, sunk, feared or taunted.Counterattack Evasion: ½sDaze: ½sNumber of Targets: 5UnblockableRange: 300

So, I do realise this is the first day and things will most likely get tuned either up or down. I do however find this skill to be the most ridiculous skill ever introduced to GW2.My suggestions to fixing it is to either make it blockable, or not getting 100% damage reduction. Make it so unblockable attacks actually damages the Spellbreaker during the channel.

Another way is to simply make this single target and / or increasing the cooldown / lower the damage.

How do you good people deal with Spellbreakers in a 1v1 scenario?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have bad news for you:

June 2013https://www.engadget.com/2013/06/20/anet-looking-to-avoid-power-creep-with-upcoming-guild-wars-2-tra/

ANet looking to avoid power creep with upcoming Guild Wars 2 trait tweaks

"ArenaNet is intent on improving Guild Wars 2's build diversity going forward. We know this because the company just released a dev blog detailing the team's plans for trait revisions and the like".

"Why don't those silly devs just increase the power of the game's weaker skills? "Well, the problem is that then we get into something called power creep," writes ANet's Johnathan Sharp. "The power of all builds and classes keeps rising as we keep making improvements, which causes instability in game balance."

-Reality Check-

"f you main PvP or WvW in GW2, its time to get out.My guild which consisted of 100 or so people back for GW2 has died with only 2 people logging in constantly. ( i did not count myself since i take monthly long breaks now)Anet said in the Angry Joe interview that the new specs would NOT be stronger then core specs but simply add a different style.They lied, also the PvP seasons have been horrible with grind to legendary S1-4 and match manipulation 5-7 and some of the worst match making a game can put together.If you enjoy GW2 PvP then enjoy it for what it is, lets not pretend that Anet will do anything for the betterment of PvP or WvW".

-You decide-

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:Stop spamming your skillbar like a rabid monkey. Stop being bad. Thank god the game finally has an ability that punishes people who 12345. May all the bads finally find out just out truly bad they are - AMEN.

Game always has had it, it's called confusion and obvious counters from people who know the difference from people who spam skills and people who don't spam skills. There is a difference when you get towards top tier.

@OP: Although, with Full Counter I would suggest try staying out of the range when it is up and simply use positioning wisely against it.

For rangers , you can bait it with your pet as well as long as you stay out of the 300 range.

There is some counters to full counter, just take some time to practice with it, maybe find a good warrior in PvP and duel him and learn the avoidance measures involved.

@nicknamenick.2437 said:Dont hit it?

You're asking players to not hit a reasonably long lasting and instant skill on a low CD. Oh btw, it procs on any hit so the warrior can literally just walk into any AoE placed by just about every skill in order to proc it. And don't say, "don't use AoEs around warriors". That's not gonna happen. Most skills are AoE and it's extremely easy for anybody to walk to their warrior buddy as be protected by a single OP, low CD, instant cast skill. In a 1v1, it's a little easier to avoid, but still just about impossible! This is an iWin skill and is the whole reason Spellbreaker will reign supreme in 1v1 against melee builds and on point fights, as well as group fights.

Let's look at it a different way: as a spellbreaker you're restricted to level one bursts; full counter costs adrenaline, stops autoattack and all other forms of damage, so you effectively stand there doing nothing but blocking and timing it correctly does require some skill, aka you use it when you think your opponent is coming at you full force. If it weren't unblockable, it'd be useless considering the obscene amount of blocks there are. I'd even go a step further and say it should bypass all defenses, even blind. If anything, I find this skill needs more damage because it does feel quite meh, even on a full berserker build. Fun to use though. GG.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:Stop spamming your skillbar like a rabid monkey. Stop being bad. Thank god the game finally has an ability that punishes people who 12345. May all the bads finally find out just out truly bad they are - AMEN.

It procs off of symbols. You're asking me to not sword 2 / LB 4 or finish hammer auto chain for the chance that the warrior might have the 8 second cooldown instant activation counter attack that grants 100% damage reduction + evade frames and hits about as hard as a tier 2 evis?

It does not only proc on symbols, it procs on DH f1 tether, wells, shades, pets, minions, Ele overloads. So if you think there is any counterplay to the skill now, you're the the one that's bad.

@Loop.8106 said:

It procs off of symbols. You're asking me to not sword 2 / LB 4 or finish hammer auto chain for the chance that the warrior might have the 8 second cooldown instant activation counter attack that grants 100% damage reduction + evade frames and hits about as hard as a tier 2 evis?

It does not only proc on symbols, it procs on DH f1 tether, wells, kitten, pets, minions, Ele overloads. So if you think there is any
counterplay
to the skill now, you're the the one that's bad.

Use your knockback skill if you cant kite him.. use some skill or find a way. Because there are ways too counter it. Your a guardian. I dont feel bad at all for you.

This skill is very strong. You are acting like we are bad because we can't stop attacking every 8 seconds when it comes off of cooldown. That's not the problem.

Good spellbreakers reserve Full Counter for when they know its going to hit. This is why good ones shine over the bad ones. They almost always hit Full Counter. It's essentially an instant cast block that does a high amount of damage coupled with an interrupt that applies cripple, slow, and immobilize and makes the warrior immune to conditions on an 8 second cooldown. It is the single most overtuned skill in the game right now.

I'm not saying its overpowered, but it reminds me of Steal on steroids. And Steal has already had its fair share of complaints.

The best counter is to corrupt his stability or strip it + cc.Well of Corruption and Nightfall can help, even if hardly a good Spellbreaker will use his Full Counter while standing in corruption fields.Bountiful Theft + Sleight of Hands, Sigil of Annulment + CC.. not sure if Dismantle Fortification could CC the warrior or it'll proc the counter.

My suggestions to fixing it is to either make it blockable, or not getting 100% damage reduction. Make it so unblockable attacks actually damages the Spellbreaker during the channel.

Wouldn't really be a full counter then. The 100% damage reduction is fundamental for the skill, or it just becomes pointless and worse than a normal block.The reason why this skill exists is to give Warriors some innate defensive abilities, and maybe give them the option to not be forced into picking the defense traitline. They trade this by giving up higher tiers of bursts, which is a pretty fair trade.

Another way is to simply make this single target and / or increasing the cooldown / lower the damage.

Making it single target would again, make it pretty pointless and pretty useless in anything outside 1v1.The damage is pretty on par with t1 bursts which is basically what it is, with the caviat that it can just be completely wasted if the opponent doesn't jump into it. Not to mention that you can't do anything but move while full countering.

I think the only nerf that could be fair is making the counterattack blockable, as you said. But full counter is essential for damage, since Spellbreaker really doesn't have any burst damage outside of it, and with blocks being plentiful it would just leave the Spellbreaker with very low damage output.

The best way of dealing with it is to not spam AAs, be smart with your skill usage and most importantly understand when the skill is on CD. Even if full counter pops, you can still dodge/evade it or simply eat the damage, it's not exactly the end of the world. Cripple and slow are really the main annoying part, but those are gated behind a Master trait.At the end of the day, Spellbreaker is a spec made especially for PvP which is supposed to be effective in PvP.It's a bit of a pubstomper, much like Dragonhunter. Get experience against it and it won't be as big of a problem. I usually fare pretty decently against it in a Core Warrior build.

Good spellbreakers reserve Full Counter for when they know its going to hit. This is why good ones shine over the bad ones. They almost always hit Full Counter.

Well if they save Full Counter and don't just spam it off CD, it means they'll use it way less.If they do spam it, they'll waste it half the time unless the enemy is just spamming skills.And again, even if it does hit it's not like a winning skill in and of itself. It's a decently hitting attack with some annoying cc attached to it if they trait for it.

@Sifu.9745 said:

@Caedmon.6798 said:It punishes spammers and people that dont pay attention to whats happening.The animation is quite clear...Stop hitting.This is not only about 1 vs 1 fights, you know.

I know,you do have eyes able to see whats going on around you when youre not just fighting 1on1,you know ? Besides, 300 range.

@shadowpass.4236 said:This skill is very strong. You are acting like we are bad because we can't stop attacking every 8 seconds when it comes off of cooldown. That's not the problem.

Good spellbreakers reserve Full Counter for when they know its going to hit. This is why good ones shine over the bad ones. They almost always hit Full Counter. It's essentially an instant cast block that does a high amount of damage coupled with an interrupt that applies cripple, slow, and immobilize and makes the warrior immune to conditions on an 8 second cooldown. It is the single most overtuned skill in the game right now.

I'm not saying its overpowered, but it reminds me of Steal on steroids. And Steal has already had its fair share of complaints.

Cripple/slow/immobilize are Other traits needing to be selected to work with counter,dont act like its already slapped on there baseline.

How can you even say THIS - " It is the single most overtuned skill in the game right now."

And then end it with - "I'm not saying its overpowered" .....

As a necromancer I honestly hope spellbreaker stays meta, simply because it's more interactive to play against than a lot of the other specs.

Would rather fight spellbreakers all day than daredevils, DHs, and druids.

Also guys there is a time delay between full counter being hit and the damage/CC being applied. You can trigger the full counter and then dodge and not be hit by it.

Archived