Where's the Guild Wars in Guild Wars?

Just a quality of life complaint/continuity of story critique as far as game narrative goes. It bewilders me that a game called Guild Wars does not have guild matches as one of it's integral features impacting multiple aspects of the game. PvP, Team Matches and WvW are not connected directly to the PvE world. It seems like they should have a more central role in the game plan in some manner. Couldn't you unveil an area of the game Map say...in the Deldrimor Front or Unending Ocean (now submerged) that links directly to the setup that is seen in WvW? Maybe the battle between the Guilds is something that was so tumultuous that it punched a hole through time itself and the battle in the Mists is an eternal battle amongst the Guilds that still has a direct impact on structures in Tyria. It would be interesting to find that Stonemist is actually a continuing feature in the world. Similarly, you could link certain areas in the PvP battles to regions that actually occur in the PvE instances. Events available could actively change in the regions based on how the battles are fairing in the Mists. I think it would make for some interesting connections.

@"infrequentia.3465" said:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

its not named for having guild warring each otherits named after a ''historical event''

Yes, I understand it's a historical event. But when you go to WvW there are set regions. Why those? What if Stonemist was actually a central location before the Guild Wars commenced. Maybe each of the areas has some real world connection to Tyria. That's all I'm really proposing here is to work those areas into future areas reflected in the PvE environment.

@Malavian.4695 said:

@"infrequentia.3465" said:

its not named for having guild warring each otherits named after a ''historical event''

Yes, I understand it's a historical event. But when you go to WvW there are set regions. Why those? What if Stonemist was actually a central location before the Guild Wars commenced. Maybe each of the areas has some real world connection to Tyria. That's all I'm really proposing here is to work those areas into future areas reflected in the PvE environment.

The Mists have always been the location where (some) PvP formats where settled.

Guild vs Guild like it was in GW1 is not adopted into GW2 in favor of other formats. I do think there where too many competitive formats in GW1 (GvG, codex, alliance battles, random arena's, heroes ascent, Fort Aspenwood, Jade Quarry, topped with the tournaments and the automated tournaments).

They actually added an arena in obsidian sanctum for Guild vs Guild battles. Further, it is perfectly possible to do GvG battles in the Guild Hall arena. But bottom line is that it never got very popular.

I also think that the upcoming chances to WvW are much more suiting for this game and moves towards GvG type of gaming.

While the Guild Wars were a series of conflicts in the past, the present narrative might slowly be leading us towards a troubling direction. ;)

We supposedly learned from that totally reliable gossiping lady-in-waiting in "Regrouping with the Queen" instance from Episode 4: The Head of the Snake in Season 3 that "Anybody who's anybody knows that the Orders have been at odds of late." How truthful this gossip really is remains to be seen, but we notably saw the Vigil acting as its own organization in Episode 5's Draconis Mons rather than having all of the Pact represented there as a single operation headed by a commander (then again, this could've also been because of game mechanics rather than being any lore hint).

Whether the Orders are indeed bickering and continue to do so, or the Pact remains as a shadow of its former self while rebuilding itself and pleading for funding, remains to be seen. I don't expect them to mount any large-scale offense/defense like the Orr and Maguuma campaigns anytime soon, though.

That's the justification for why guilds and mercenary companies (see e.g. raiders, Balthazar's Mercenaries or the folks Evon Gnashblade threatened to hire to protect his interests in Lion's Arch if the Lionguard are unable to) are becoming more prominent as sort of private military contractors with the blessing of the five major Tyrian nations in the Guild Initiative. We've also met self-serving guilds like Modus Sceleris who could end up causing trouble in the future if they're ever brought back to the narrative.

All of this development is potentially veering us closer towards a potential Fourth Guild War should the goals of these various competing guilds and mercenary companies begin to clash at some point while the Pact is too weak to stop their ambitions...

• 2 weeks later...

@Kossage.9072 said:All of this development is potentially veering us closer towards a potential Fourth Guild War should the goals of these various competing guilds and mercenary companies begin to clash at some point while the Pact is too weak to stop their ambitions...

And THAT is what I've been trying to talk about. I like the idea that the different segments of the game are related in some coherent narrative. If that is the direction they are going I think it would be absolutely wonderful. I personally didn't do WvW for the 1st year. Now, I don't want to skip over it as it has been more interesting at times than PvE. And I didn't do PvP until THIS year and love it. If the different areas were tied in some manner at least in representation with developments going along side one another it would encourage everyone to experience the whole game not just their particular comfort zone. Thanks Kossage

Archived