Gw2 newbie

First off welcome to the game my friend~Secondly your already on the right track looking for a good guild to join, thats an important first step that can really help you get into the game faster and stay with it longer as it opens up doors and gives you a core group of like-minded people to play with if your lucky. One thing to keep in mind when asking for a group is what type of content are you into? Are you wanting to play all of the modes? Is PvE your thing where you like to push hard to the endgame content and stand at the top or are you more of a casual player who just enjoys playing and exploring the world? Do you enjoy PvP and fighting other players on small teams? Maybe you would like to try out WvW where you fight on a map with armies of other players crashing together on the battlefield and laying siege to towers and keeps. Do any of these seem interesting to you, or maybe even all of them as there are guilds who participate in all modes. You could also be in more than one if you'd prefer to have a PvE focused one and then a WvW focused one for instance. So after you've become more acquainted with the game of course, what do you think you'd like to get into?

If you just want to explore I actually recommend NOT joining a guild. Vets usually unintentionally ruin the joy of exploration by trying to show you everything all at once. Sometimes it's nice to just stumble upon things in the open world, like a jumping puzzle (almost every map has at least one jumping puzzle if you didn't know that!)

Once you've explored enough to not feel spoiled, I'd look at the 3 different formats and see which/all of them appeal to you and look for a guild that matches.

My take anyway.

@snerdy.5829 said:Thanks!

So far casual player, following my characters story and exploring. New to MMO's and these games on PC so looking to see where it leads to.

Ah I see, well you picked an excellent first choice to get you started then! GW2 has a little bit of everything for everyone and is known for having one of the friendliest gaming communities around where you can almost always find someone to lend you a hand or answer a question. A few things I might recommend:

• Continue doing your personal story and focus on leveling to 80 right now with your character, that will help get you some basic knowledge about the game and how your class is played.
  • Once you've gotten your first character to level 80, I would advise using your empty character slots to create one of each profession and test them out in the PvP lobby. You can create a character then delete it later to try out the other ones, and by doing so in the pvp lobby you are instantly level 80 and have all of your skills and traits open to you. Everyone has certain playstyles they like better than others, and you may still enjoy the character you've been playing on thus far, but you may also realize how much you love another class as well and want to give them a try. I for example didn't try necromancer my first two years playing the game, I never thought I'd enjoy it, then one day I got one shot in pvp by one using lich form and decided to give it a shot and its since become one of my most played classes and my main toon for pve, I even have 5 of them now. Point being give every class a try and see what you like the best and hey if you want you can always buy a few more character slots and have one of each!
  • I would still recommend joining a nice guild, emphasis on the word nice. You don't have to join the first one you see, look around a little and see what players you meet and come across while you play and explore. You might meet a group of really nice people who assist you or a player willing to help you learn the ropes and inquire about if their guild is recruiting and what type of stuff they do. Just because a guild is max level and has 200+ members does not mean they are always the best option after all. Look for an active guild with a core group of nice players who are willing to help one another out and maybe even run some fun events every so often. Whats good about this is that even if they don't know how to answer a question or help you out with certain content they've likely been around long enough they know people who can or can at least point you in the right direction.
  • Ask for help. Seriously if your ever stuck and something is really blocking your path, just ask for some assistance. Maybe its a step in the story that you've tried half a dozen times now and keep getting killed on, maybe its a mechanic you don't understand, maybe you just want some company, just ask either in game or even on the forums here, people will help you. Don't let a bad experience turn you off from the game.
  • Once your level 80 try out all the game modes, and when you venture into PvP or WvW do not be discouraged. They're both a lot different than PvE as your up against actual players, many of whom have been here for a lot longer, but thankfully theres no real gear treadmill in GW2 so you can get the same stats and gear as they can for the most part, the biggest thing will just be learning how to play your class and whats best for that mode and the role you want to fill. Maybe you want to be a thief in PvP, ganking players between points and outrotating your enemy. Maybe you want to head into WvW and run with your servers zerg and be on the frontline with your guardian, healing and supporting your team with boons while smashing enemies in the face with a mace, there are loads of different options. If either mode seems like it has the potential to be interesting or fun for you, but your having trouble understanding it or improving, there are guilds made specifically for PvP and WvW who are always actively recruiting and look to help out new players because they want more people to join their community and they are willing to put in the extra work to train and equip you if it means getting another person to actively play with, particularly in WvW.
  • Remember above all else this is a game, and the objective is to have fun. I think having a good group to play with really makes this part easier to achieve for a lot of people, thats the reason to come to MMO's after all otherwise why not just play single player. Don't let a bad experience or a lack of knowledge push you away from the game. It seems like a lot I know, and sometimes the vast amount of stuff in this game can be overwhelming to new players who don't know where to go, but that's just because this isn't a game where you beat the final boss and your done, this is an adventure, its your story. You can play this game any way you want and have fun and move forward, and thats one of the most wonderful things about it. GW2 is a world for the players, make it your own however you see fit.

@"Fluffball.8307" said:If you just want to explore I actually recommend NOT joining a guild. Vets usually unintentionally ruin the joy of exploration by trying to show you everything all at once. Sometimes it's nice to just stumble upon things in the open world, like a jumping puzzle (almost every map has at least one jumping puzzle if you didn't know that!)

Once you've explored enough to not feel spoiled, I'd look at the 3 different formats and see which/all of them appeal to you and look for a guild that matches.

My take anyway.

I was going to suggest joining a guild too until I read this which made me rethink everything. Fluffball makes a great point, there are a lot of really nice people in this game who will want to help you but in doing so may unintentionally spoil the pleasure of making discoveries and achievements for yourself. Getting a character to a high enough level with sufficiently decent gear to participate in just about any content does not take very long so dont rush things with the mentality that you need to get to the "end-game" (whatever that might be). This is a beautiful game with a massive amount of content to do and explore. Be sure to focus on, "enjoying journey". Well....that's my opinion anyways. Oh, and welcome to the game :D

@"Silvatar.5379" said:until I read this which made me rethink everything. Fluffball makes a great point

Hey thanks! :) You see it a lot in this section of the forum. I'm also mildly obsessed with watching new players/let's plays and they always get utterly RUINED when a vet finds it. "Hey man glad you like the troll puzzle in Queen's Dale, let me show you ___ at end game!!!!"

Our community is literally too nice.

I also have a dad perspective on this. One of the best ways to let my kids thrive is to let them do it themselves.

Welcome to the game!!I disagree with some of the posts about guilds - there are nice guilds out there whose vets don't spoil things by showing you stuff. It's just that those may be very hard to find. My current guild is very friendly and small and we usually come together for group content like fractals and dungeons and metas, but PvE is stuff that we do on our own, or maybe ask someone to go along with. It's very open-minded and you don't have to join in if you don't want to.But like I said, those are generally quite hard to find. I'm quite lucky to have found this guild, but that's my opinion.

Are you on EU or NA? The players on EU can't interact with players on NA and vice versa, so that's something to look out for when you're looking for people to play with.

@"snerdy.5829" said:Thanks!

So far casual player, following my characters story and exploring. New to MMO's and these games on PC so looking to see where it leads to.

Guild Wars 2 is great for casual play and exploring so you chose the right game. And while you are exploring, you will often see quests (heart icons) and dynamic events (temporary events on a specific location) unfold around you. You can join in any event as you like and do not even have to make a party to join in. Just do your part and you will be rewarded accordingly. This is one of the biggest strengths of the game.

This review is old, but very well illustrates the strengths of the game.

Archived