Weapons worth the legwork for a Ranger or Guardian (filthy casual edition)

I mostly play a ranger (long bow / dual wielded axes) or guardian (scepter and focus / greatsword). The longbow is Éibhear Dunn and the focus is Arcanus Obscurus. Nothing else special, just the best drops I've come across.

I don't have the available time to craft in a legendary weapon. Any suggestions out there for less grand weapons (in the categories described above) that would boost my DPS while being relatively easy to craft? Or I should just sell everything, and save gold for a griffin?

What you want is any Exotic, level 80 weapon with the stat combo that suits your build. All level 80 exotic bows with Berserker stats (power, precision, ferocity) for example will be identical - except for what skin they use. So buy the cheapest one you can off the Auction, then transmute it to look like how you want.

After that, you can put sigils in the weapons to buff them a bit. Superior Sigil of Accuracy and Superior Sigil of Fire are the two I'd recommend starting with, as they give good results and are cheap.

Ascended and legendary gear is only about a 10% (or less) improvement over exotic, so it's completely optional for 90% of the game's content. Once you get your gear up to exotic, you'll be just fine and can save your gold for whatever you want to use it on. BTW, if you don't have exotic armor yet, you can get some for Karma instead of gold at the Temple vendors in Orr.

Incidentally the same goes for armour and trinkets: Everything with the same level requirement and rarity is equally good, the only difference is which stat combination it has. So you can safely go for the cheapest versions you can find with the right stats and then transmute it to look better if you want.

If you haven't already I strongly recommend using laurels to buy ascended rings, accessories and an amulet from the laurel vendor. Trinkets make a big difference to your stats and since laurels don't have many uses and are easy to get they're a good currency to spend on them.

Seconded.

All exotic gear will help you make use of your character in the broad majority of scenarios, the only two that will be of hindrance is later fractals and raids. It's relatively easy to acquire ascended trinkets, especially your amulet/rings/accessories -- and if you have not used your laurels, this would be a good time as any. Just be sure not to buy two of the same ring or accessory -- you can only equip one of them at a time. That is why there are different 'versions' of ring/accessory but with the same stats. It's because of the "Unique" property of the item.

Still, if you're in all-exotic gear, the only thing that matters is the stats of your gear, the sigils in your weapons, the runes in your armor, and the upgrades in your trinkets. Everything else is just a different skin of the same thing.

Legendaries require a hefty dose of commitment. An ascended version will make do for the time being, but don't rush for one. Trust me. Those take time, and your (in-game) wallet will thank you if you take your time. :)

Honestly I don’t think you’d be sad if you saved up for the griffin. It is a lot of fun. You are fine in exotics for most of what you’d do.

I’d still suggest leveling up huntsman and weapon crafting to 500. Just do it over a few weeks maybe so you can spend a little here and there. Once you get them to 500 start just making the daily ascended components: Spiritwood residue, lump of mithrillum, and thick elonian core. As you get the other mats you can turn these into the full ascended components need to craft ascended weapons. You it’s been a while since I crafted one, but it will be about 50g per weapon give or take a few fold. Just make it a long term goal.

@Danikat.8537 said:You don't need to get crafting to 500 to start making the time-gated materials. I think they first show up at 450, and then you can make them to level it up further.

Correct! The time-gated materials (Mithrillium, Elonian Cord, etc) and their finished materials (Deldrimor Steel, Eloninan Leather Square, etc) all become craftable at 450, though each craft can only make the ones it can use.They stop giving crafting xp at 475, so I do most of my 450-475 with those, slow and steady :P

Archived