Ryzen CPU for WvW

Sleepwalker.1398

Don't have an AMD CPU, but unfortunately GW2 (partly due to it's age) does not scale very well with number of threads / cores. So with this game you want to have a CPU which has optimal single thread performance. This is still the domain of Intel chips: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

That being said, the single thread performance of Ryzens is still a lot better than most older chips so you probably won't run into a big bottleneck here.

As a rule of thumb newer games often benefit more from multiple cores - the increase in performance is not linear with number of cores though, because most games only utilize a few threads (it's different with video encoding or compiling for example where more cores help more).

I play WvW exclusively; my desktop has a Ryzen 1700x with 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1080. I also have a laptop with a Core i7 also with a GTX 1080 (I do big data and graphics programming professionally). So far I haven't encountered any performance issues using Ryzen compared to the Intel chip mainly because the Nvidia card does most of the heavy lifting. From what I have read the new Ryzen 2400G would probably run GW2 pretty well for the most part but it might choke on large battles in SMC.

lol, due to it's age.

Hardware has increased dramatically since GW2 began development, and cheaper.Buy trying to cater for as many people by making the game DX9 they kindda shot themselves in the foot.

The game is not optimised for modern multicore CPUs nor for modern GPUs or even DX10, when we're already at DX12

It'd probably be easier to make a GW3 rather than try to update this game.But seeing how they've treated us, would you but GW3 let alone the next expansion?

Its too early to tell because I will assume we are talking about the Ryzen 2 chips such as 2700X. Reviews are coming out but I havent seen gaming tests yet. Maybe they are a little stronger single thread than last gen. But looking at numbers we are talking "only" reaching Intel performance best case scenario. And I dont think it'll be best case scenario.

I ran on core-2-duo on my old rig 1.8 clocked up to 3.1. Outside of WvW around big zergs it was playbe. (note:playable) I since got a fx something Phantom i think with a new gfx card. Much better performance. That said I feel that if you were to get a new decent cpu you should be able to run this game just fine. Further from what i read no matter what you run at some point you will hit a wall due to how the game runs.

@Buy Some Apples.6390 said:lol, due to it's age.

Hardware has increased dramatically since GW2 began development, and cheaper.Buy trying to cater for as many people by making the game DX9 they kindda shot themselves in the foot.

The game is not optimised for modern multicore CPUs nor for modern GPUs or even DX10, when we're already at DX12

It'd probably be easier to make a GW3 rather than try to update this game.But seeing how they've treated us, would you but GW3 let alone the next expansion?

Imagine Anet trying to release GW3 (or the next expansion) without even finishing the promised 2nd generation of Legendaries.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:well, I use a ryzen. I also use wine, so lots of cores are actually a good thing....

You linux guys just like buggy stuff or what?

I see a lot of bugs, a lot of trouble and cider is better than wine for running gw2.

I never saw anything supporting multicore gaming for gw2--using unsupported wine/cider.

The Ryzen IPC (single core performance @ equal clock speeds) is equal to Intels Haswell Generation (Core i5/7 4xx0).

A Ryzen @ 4GHz is as fast as a Haswell @ 4GHz in a single core application. In multicore applications an 8 core (16 threads) Ryzen usually has the upper hand.

The Skylake (i5/7 6xx0) / Kabylake (i5/7 7xx0) / Coffeelake (i5/7 8xx0) IPC is about 10% faster than Haswell/Ryzen. That's not that much.

Further performance gains between the different CPU generations are achieved due to the support of faster Ram. Skylake supports DDR4 2133 and Coffeelake supports DDR4 2666. So you will find reviews with IPC improvements from Skylake to Coffeelake. These are only achieved through faster Ram. If you run XMP / OC Ram modules on your Skylake, there will be no IPC benefit when upgrading to the latest Coffelake.

Ryzen does also benefit a lot from fast Ram due to its architecture. The "Infinity Fabric" which connects the CPU modules is bound to Ram clock speed.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:well, I use a ryzen. I also use wine, so lots of cores are actually a good thing....

U guys with AMD system should be looking to change to gpu passtrough with vfio, qemu-kvm libvirt.

Why use dual boot if u can use both systems at same time? :) the FPS loss tends to be minimal with nowadays hardware (just pray for not getting the ntp bug xD)

As others have said you will be fine so long as it has a good clock on it, what you need to look at is how the Ryzen performs in other games you might be interested in. I got a new CPU a year ago and went up about 1GHz and the difference was noticeable but not spectacular, still have to turn settings down for WvW otherwise you get lots of frame rate issues when a threesome happens and everything lags anyway.

You should be able to use turbo mode to get comparable performance to an intel CPU that’s 50% more in price so that’s always something to consider.

AMD's new chip is fine for wvw (my wife has one)... but i would still go with intel i770 or better just because intel works better for everything else. Intel will always run windows based programs and pc's better simply because they are closer partners with microsoft. You may save a few hundred bucks getting an AMD based system... but the intel equivalent will always be a little faster and smoother.

I game & stream mainly WvW on a R7 1700 @3.6Ghz and DDR4 3200Mhz, steady 40-45fps in zerg while encoding in Fast/Medium (Character model limit & quality both Medium).Here's a test on Tequatl (older videos on my channel are from my old Phenom II rig)

Overclocking my 4670k to 4.4ghz definitely helped , but it's quite old.I'm not sure a Ryzen would be that much better, if it's strength is in its multiple cores/threads, since the game only utilizes at least 2 cores. I've tried setting affinity to 2 cores, but my frame rate starts to tank then, that might be a multi threading problem though.

Archived