What does this mark of damage mean? What's the difference?

Do you know the red marks on the ground that means something bad will happen there? The damage marks?What is the difference between empty ring and full ring circle? Some full ring circle has a growing circle insidethat means a timer for when the damage will happen while some don't and some are just a empty red circle.So, what is the difference between them?

Red circle = badWhite circle = allied effect/combo field

Red circles can mean anything. Maybe a pulsing damage effect, perhaps an enemy is charging an attack. Look for animations that might indicate that. Most of the time the circles simply mean that this area is where an enemy has some form of minor aoe effect like giving out conditions. The big orange circles that fill up mean something bigger is about to happen.

As Blood Red Arachnid said the basic red outline is the older version, from launch. But that can be very hard to see if you're colour blind, if the floor is red or patterned or there's a lot going on or it's a very big AoE and you're close to the middle. So later on (around the start of Season 2 I think) they added the solid red circles which are easier to see. But I think they only use them for important attacks, things you really need to get out of, so it's not constantly covering up everything else.

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:The key point is that both of them (red-hollow and red-orange filled) count as "stupid" for the age-old advice: "Don't Stand In Stupid." Not sure why, but I see that all over the place on the SWTOR forums, and almost never over here.

I think it's more common in trinity games because it's usually the healer saying it. Some people seem to think if you have a healer you can focus 100% on attacking whenever and wherever you want and it's entirely their responsibility to keep you alive while you do it. "Don't stand in stupid" is a plea for the most basic effort at meeting them 1/2 way - they'll heal you if you don't waste their skills/mana/whatever by standing in AoEs.

In GW2 it's mostly your responsibility to heal yourself, even when playing in a group, so it's your problem if you're standing in an AoE trying to out-heal it when you could just walk/dodge away. That and the game promotes movement in combat and thinking about positioning a lot more so hopefully more people are aware that they can and should move out of danger.

@"Danikat.8537" said:In GW2 it's mostly your responsibility to heal yourself, even when playing in a group, so it's your problem if you're standing in an AoE trying to out-heal it when you could just walk/dodge away. That and the game promotes movement in combat and thinking about positioning a lot more so hopefully more people are aware that they can and should move out of danger.

Right, so the rule is still "Don't Stand In Stupid", except that you have to say it to yourself. ;) And yes, I really, really miss being able to dodge-roll out of circles when I'm playing SWTOR. Or anything else that's not GW2. (Exception, classic The Secret World has a similar mechanic.)

How does that work on non-hostile strangers?Can they see my stuff, too? The white ones?

EDIT: Just to clarify. I am talking about people see e.g. my sniper range (white circle). I mean, it could be a helpful information, but then again, why would they care, even in teamfights?

@Zedek.8932 said:How does that work on non-hostile strangers?Can they see my stuff, too? The white ones?

EDIT: Just to clarify. I am talking about people see e.g. my sniper range. I mean, it could be a helpful information, but then again, why would they care, even in teamfights?

They can see, and interact with, your AoE effects. For example they'll see a white circle for a healing AoE and standing in it will grant them regen, and if it's a combo field their attacks can trigger combo effects.

But they can't see things like the marker that appears before you place an AoE or other targeting info.

But > @Danikat.8537 said:

@Zedek.8932 said:How does that work on non-hostile strangers?Can they see my stuff, too? The white ones?

EDIT: Just to clarify. I am talking about people see e.g. my sniper range. I mean, it could be a helpful information, but then again, why would they care, even in teamfights?

They can see, and interact with, your AoE effects. For example they'll see a white circle for a healing AoE and standing in it will grant them regen, and if it's a combo field their attacks can trigger combo effects.

But they can't see things like the marker that appears before you place an AoE or other targeting info.

So they won't see either my sniper range nor the mark if not somehow invested (e.g. an enemy). Do they see any tooltip below the healthbar?

@Zedek.8932 said:But > @Danikat.8537 said:

So they won't see either my sniper range nor the mark if not somehow invested (e.g. an enemy). Do they see any tooltip below the healthbar?

If they have them targeted, and it's an applied effect, yes, because buffs and debuffs will show up.

Alrighty. It makes perfect sense to see combo fields and such, because they are an invitation to others, but I would found it less attractive to have my range indicator displayed for others ALL PEOPLE, it's MY range after all non-hostile guys (e.g. random PvE people walking by), which is also a white circle.

Excelsior.

Archived