Slow Downloading patch

The patch is downloading really slow. Keeps going from 0kb for second to around 50kb, stays mostly at 0. MY internet connection is fine I'm able to use websites and anything else internet related. Anyone else having this issue? It's like the issue few years ago how people who had verizon as their internet provider were having this same issue.

Same issue here. Previous patch (One path ends) had the same issue. then they fixed it so you think they would have kept a note on that, especially prior to expansion launch. Yes? No! It is the same issue over, and over, and over again! Ugh so frustrating...

Feels like that 80% of players have no issue playing while the rest of us can't even login!

The same problem is here, most of time client is waiting with 0 KB/s with rare flashes to ~30-50 KB/s, and the client still needs to download 5669 files. It's almost the dead end, I never had such slow download of new patches before. There may be two possible reasons:

1) Extremely large number of players (let's suppose, hundreds of thousands) want to rush into new content and the patching server is overcrowded. In such case, it's a common problem around the world and nothing can be done right now on our side.

2) There is a serious issue with servers in datacenter or with routing to the specific parts of the world (some subnets or series of IP addresses). In theory, VPN connection can help in the last case, but need to know the location(s) or country without this issue or conduct some experiments with VPN, changing the location and checking the speed.

Unfortunately I don't have now the VPN subscription which would allow to download about 1.7 Gb patch, so I prefer to wait and simply keep the GW2 client in the background for many hours or maybe some days and check the progress time to time. Anyway, the developers should have predicted such situation and begin the pre-patching of clients some days ago with most of new data. So only a small patch which makes available the access to already pre-downloaded content would be required in the last minutes before the start. This is a known practice in some other MMOs. Will our developers be more wise next time? Only the time will show...

P.S. Yes, the game is in theory playable, but with lot of data still missed, the gameplay may be quite poor because of large delays needed to download any new object. So I prefer to have all files ready before the start.

Update. I forgot to mention I have been able to play because my client got past the "PLAYABLE" point on the download bar on the launcher. Got to the first map and crashed a few times but was unable to get to the second map for a story instance. Finished downloading the patch/patches this morning before 6. Looks like lower player population time helped. Was getting couple hundred kb per second mostly and up to 1 M a second.

Having same issues. (64 bit Mac Client). Also having to close and re-open the client. Tried to leave it overnight but when I woke up, it was still stuck at relatively the same amount of files then when I left it, meaning the client gave up at some point even trying.

After 12 hours of trying now I'm still at 5,943 files to go. I can of course keep opening and closing the client (roughly every 4mb downloaded it stops), but when you need both sleep and have a job to go to, it's hardly ideal. Please fix this ArenaNet.

Apparently I have found and fixed the download problem (in my particular case).

Long time, maybe several months, if not a year ago I changed the command line in the GW2 shortcut to this:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -assetsrv 174.35.71.9:80and all the time since that my client was using an address 174.35.71.9 as the asset server. The reason to manually add this server was due to similar problems with download; as for exact address, I found it among different suggestions on the support forum (its previous version). This worked almost perfectly, all the updates to beta weekends have been downloaded well, until yesterday, when download speed unexpectedly became very low.I simply removed the addition in the command line:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe"and a miracle happened — the download speed returned to my usual 2MB/s. All client data are already updated.If you have used the same solution with manual assetsrv parameter before, try to do the same.

It seems that American and European (my usual) datacenters work differently now. American server gives the patch with full speed, but European doesn't.

I was able to download the complete PoF update on Friday, no problems, but then today's patch just stalls at 0%. No downloading, no speed displayed, no files remaining, it just sits there for hours on end doing nothing. It's remarkably similar to the problems I had a couple of months ago after the big balance patch. It took days on end to even get the bar to move, and most of the time it felt like luck whether it was going to work or not. Please fix whatever bug was introduced in the latest patch!!

EDIT: After some internet research I found a dev post from 2 years ago, and it has helped me get it downloading again.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/SELFSOLVED-problem-with-1-2-files-remaining/first#post4703909

@"V Man.8512" said:I was able to download the complete PoF update on Friday, no problems, but then today's patch just stalls at 0%. No downloading, no speed displayed, no files remaining, it just sits there for hours on end doing nothing. It's remarkably similar to the problems I had a couple of months ago after the big balance patch. It took days on end to even get the bar to move, and most of the time it felt like luck whether it was going to work or not. Please fix whatever bug was introduced in the latest patch!!

EDIT: After some internet research I found a dev post from 2 years ago, and it has helped me get it downloading again.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/SELFSOLVED-problem-with-1-2-files-remaining/first#post4703909

Since that link will soon be obsolete, I will copy the text here:

Chris Cleary

If you are still having problems, try adding this to your GW2 Shortcut Target:-assetsrv 62.154.232.187:80If that doesn’t work, try-assetsrv 151.249.90.138:80You can do this by right clicking on your GW2 Shortcut and adding the above text to your Target field. For example your target should look like this:“C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -assetsrv 62.154.232.187:80Let me know if that works

• 1 year later...

That assetsrv + IP:port fix doesnt do anything anymore and there should have been more info in the instructions.

1. This is NOT for the shortcut that the game puts on your desktop. That is not editable even as administrator. You actually need to create a shortcut by right clicking the default icon.
  2. Even if you do the fix above the GuildWars2 login window comes up and nothing happens. I get a "working" blue spinning circle when the cursor is over the window but there is nothing in the window but the GW2 logo. Nothing downloads.It seems as if every time I log in the patcher is downloading the entire client not just a patch. You can't tell me that each time I login I am getting over 150MB and 160,000 files for a patch. This is getting really old.

@"gulesbaron.7125" said:That assetsrv + IP:port fix doesnt do anything anymore and there should have been more info in the instructions.

1. This is NOT for the shortcut that the game puts on your desktop. That is not editable even as administrator. You actually need to create a shortcut by right clicking the default icon.
  2. Even if you do the fix above the GuildWars2 login window comes up and nothing happens. I get a "working" blue spinning circle when the cursor is over the window but there is nothing in the window but the GW2 logo. Nothing downloads.It seems as if every time I log in the patcher is downloading the entire client not just a patch. You can't tell me that each time I login I am getting over 150MB and 160,000 files for a patch. This is getting really old.

That is a very old fix; the servers have moved since then. You can peruse the Knowledge Base, accessed via the 'Support' link above/below for current troubleshooting suggestions. Or, directly contact the Tech CS Team.

Good luck.

I figured out what was causing this on my end. When the system patches at launch it creates 4 files and a folder on your desktop. If you delete those the launcher will do a complete download for your patch.I tested this yesterday, on a hunch, and with those files in the Recycle Bin the patcher created 5 new files/folder on my desktop and said there were over 160000 files to download. I immediately bailed out of the patcher, deleted the new files on my desktop and went into the Recycle Bin to restore the original files.As soon as the patcher launched the Launch button became active and no download started.I dont know if there is an alt solution to this for those of us that hate clutter on our desktop so any more information to get around this would be appreciated.