Thief changes since last patch

thaniretouni.4762

@thaniretouni.4762 said:I simply do not comprehent why most classes got buffs and thief got mostly huge dmg nerfs. So thief is just a road runner now? No dmg, no tankiness no much aoe... At least they had discussed a heartseeker buff that could help d/d builds along with the change to CnD. Where is that Anet?

I know it's fun to play the victim but you haven't looked at most other classes notes if you think most classes got buffs. Spellbreaker, Mes, Holo all got it bad, and almost every class got a damage nerf. You got a nerf, but so did everyone else, dunno what to tell you

I consider the patch as a whole to be buffing Thief. In some areas such as aggressive Rifle builds - very greatly. Look at how we interacted with the other professions prior to the patch. Those professions mostly got traits and skills from their META builds nerfed. We should be able to perform even better as a lot of those passives were inhibiting Thief burst potential.

Overall I'm pretty happy.

@Atticus.7194 said:

@thaniretouni.4762 said:I simply do not comprehent why most classes got buffs and thief got mostly huge dmg nerfs. So thief is just a road runner now? No dmg, no tankiness no much aoe... At least they had discussed a heartseeker buff that could help d/d builds along with the change to CnD. Where is that Anet?

I know it's fun to play the victim but you haven't looked at most other classes notes if you think most classes got buffs. Spellbreaker, Mes, Holo all got it bad, and almost every class got a damage nerf. You got a nerf, but so did everyone else, dunno what to tell you

what nerf other classes got?the cooldown increase on scourge?all buffs guardian got?

i mean quite obvious (wvw talking here) that the above 2 classes are overplayed in WvW for a reason the scourge nerf isnt a nerf they can still do same shit no fight last long enough to use cooldowns multiple times its most of the time 1 big fight where everything is being used and then u just chase some left overs..so no nerf thereand guardian got only love no?

well im glad may is close :p, i love thief i never really complain but lowering thiefs dmg without giving em something to sustain in a passive is beyond me.i need to take it from my dmg most of the time in order to survive not from my badass super duper hide skill or port around to reset fights.

yep prolly i play thief wrong but i dont reset fights nor i hide in mid fights.

I did some solo roaming in wvw, in a way things like holos and spellbreakers feel a bit tuned down, while I can't say I felt that much of a nerf on my dp drd... seemd like things were properly tuned down, but there was that last step of a revs CoR that hit me over 10k out of thin air and that was supposed to be nerfed by 22% or so... the dmg on that shit is crazy or there's a bug and the reduction didnt apply properly. Can't say for sure. And there was that over 10k eviscerate from a warrior too... oh well...

Taking the sustain reductions into consideration (at least for PvP) I think the overall effect is a buff.

The Panic Strike nerf was a little random but won’t be too bad. Most fights are done in under 40 seconds or don’t take longer than a few seconds when the person is under 50% hp (if it lasts that long invuln is just as likely to be responsible and block the trait anyway).

Hide in Shadows got a nice buff of 15% to its baseline. We got some cooldown reductions on a few skills that weren’t taken due to higher cooldowns, so that is good.

Overall will need to do some testing of course.

Tbh, I do not play the meta thief builds and thats what hurt me the most. When playing s/p and staff, the pulmonary impact and upper hand nerfs were quite painful. I adapted ofc and now I focus more on the staff. Overall, I dont mind nerfs when they balance other awful skills/traits etc. When they said we might nerf a few things, but we will buff CnD and heartseeker I didnt mind. However, the heartseeker buff is nowhere to be found. Anyway thx for the responses :)

@"thaniretouni.4762" said:I simply do not comprehent why most classes got buffs and thief got mostly huge dmg nerfs. So thief is just a road runner now? No dmg, no tankiness no much aoe... At least they had discussed a heartseeker buff that could help d/d builds along with the change to CnD. Where is that Anet?

Anet initially wanted to do a Heartseeker buff, but the guys on this forum basically said "nah, we don't need it." Thanks guys.

From the WvW perspective, the only major issue is how other professions with similar group play potential like holo were not affected.

Panic Strike ICD increase makes a degree of sense but also doesn't. It rarely gets proc'ed on a target more than once, so it gave the thief a little better utility in group play and +1 situations. I don't really think it was necessary overall, but not necessarily a game-changer, either.

Pain response could have probably been moved to 25s or 30s in sPvP but we'll see what happens.

@babazhook.6805 said:I think I can handle the damage loss thief suffers with these changes AS LONG AS the other classes in relative terms are equally impacted. For that reason it going to be a bit of time before I can make any sort of accurate assessment as to where the Thief now stands.

This definitely seems to be the case for power based builds. Unfortunately condi really doesn't seem to have changed much. Can't really speak to D/P, but S/D is much worse against condi builds now mainly as a result of pain response (and to a lesser extend RFI CD), but also because we no longer have as much burst to put classes down quickly (even after interrupting key skills). Sustained fights against classes like scourge are pretty much unwinnable now.

Basically they turned S/D into a sustained fighter while nerfing all our sustain. Part of me thinks they want to kill core thief so people buy the expansions. The other part of me thinks they just hate the thief class in general because mesmer is pretty much a better version of us in almost all regards.

@Lotus.1682 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:I think I can handle the damage loss thief suffers with these changes AS LONG AS the other classes in relative terms are equally impacted. For that reason it going to be a bit of time before I can make any sort of accurate assessment as to where the Thief now stands.

This definitely seems to be the case for power based builds. Unfortunately condi really doesn't seem to have changed much. Can't really speak to D/P, but S/D is much worse against condi builds now mainly as a result of pain response (and to a lesser extend RFI CD), but also because we no longer have as much burst to put classes down quickly. Sustained fights against classes like scourge are pretty much unwinnable now.

Basically they turned S/D into a sustained fighter while nerfing all our sustain. Part of me thinks they want to kill core thief so people buy the expansions. The other part of me thinks they just hate the thief class in general for PvP purposes since mesmer is pretty much a better version of thief in almost all regards.

I am WvW primarily so will not notice the loss of PAIN response. That said condition damage output in WvW is much higher in any case. As to mesmer, i do toy with a few builds off and on but nver got into them all that much so can not claim expertise on them. What I will say is even with that limited knowledge I did not think the changes that were proposed and then implemented did anything near what was needed to tone them down to a proper place. Now while they did indicate there will be a fuller balance patch later, the time between now and then is going to lead to a lot of salt.

@babazhook.6805 said:

This definitely seems to be the case for power based builds. Unfortunately condi really doesn't seem to have changed much. Can't really speak to D/P, but S/D is much worse against condi builds now mainly as a result of pain response (and to a lesser extend RFI CD), but also because we no longer have as much burst to put classes down quickly. Sustained fights against classes like scourge are pretty much unwinnable now.

Basically they turned S/D into a sustained fighter while nerfing all our sustain. Part of me thinks they want to kill core thief so people buy the expansions. The other part of me thinks they just hate the thief class in general for PvP purposes since mesmer is pretty much a better version of thief in almost all regards.

I am WvW primarily so will not notice the loss of PAIN response. That said condition damage output in WvW is much higher in any case. As to mesmer, i do toy with a few builds off and on but nver got into them all that much so can not claim expertise on them. What I will say is even with that limited knowledge I did not think the changes that were proposed and then implemented did anything near what was needed to tone them done to a proper place. Now while they did indicate there will be a fuller balance patch later, the time between now and then is going to lead to a lot of salt.

More salt than we have on the planet earth... more salt thgan what one may find on Mars. And far more salt than what we can accumulate from mining both mars and earth together. Ladies and gentlemen... I assure you... there will be enough salt for you to suffocate before you drown.

@thaniretouni.4762 said:Tbh, I do not play the meta thief builds and thats what hurt me the most. When playing s/p and staff, the pulmonary impact and upper hand nerfs were quite painful. I adapted ofc and now I focus more on the staff. Overall, I dont mind nerfs when they balance other awful skills/traits etc. When they said we might nerf a few things, but we will buff CnD and heartseeker I didnt mind. However, the heartseeker buff is nowhere to be found. Anyway thx for the responses :)

Boy that's what I play for the most part. Was the last fun thing for me with thief. Guess I'll see how bad it is and adjust, as always :/

Keep calm and try to give the meta a chance to settle.

The number of “woe is balance” threads are getting out of hand. A few damage nerfs were to be expected with the sustain nerfs a number of professions received.

And we knew this change was coming for a while now so it’s not like it’s a shocking change.

Archived