Thief....

GenerationX.9178

I don't know what happened this patch but not only does my thief hit like a wet noodle but my back stabs average 6000-9000 in full berserk...auto attacks....do I even need go into it....some classes I hit for 500-2400....seriously guardian was hitting me 3000 auto attacks and 15,000 whirling attacks me while I am poking him for 500-1000 with 7,000 back stabs. My class is a laughing stock more then ever....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thief's autos for dagger and sword were nerfed by 14%. Unfortunately, backstab is also an auto. You need to focus more on your 2-5 skills now... But the init costs are too high to use them extensively for what they push out in damage. Especially when they are designed for specific circumstances. Or use a staff or rifle. It feels like a harsh struggle now. Kinda bullshit, but Anets never been doing us favors.

Ok, 2 heart seeker isn't really great unless they are low, 3 sword get fixed by 15%, death blooms good if your condition an dagger pistol 3 is meant to gap close and attack with your noodle attacks. 4 is great if you need hit them to slow and they are at range or on pistol you can interrupt to hit them with a noodle Pulmonary Impact. 5 great it cost less to cloak and dagger but good luck landing it with all the blocks, blinds bla bla, 5 dagger pistol 5 guess I can try to out stealth find opportunity to attack OPS! I got revealed never mind. Guess you and spam 4 on pistols and pray or dead eye off cliff

Thieves are also pretty useless in PvE

@"Sobx.1758" said:I don't know which monkey is responsible for these ""balance"" change, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of monkey.

I'm alright with most of the cooldown nerfs and buffs. But I don't know what's more atrocious. What they did to Unhindered Combatant with that exhaustion bullshit, or the fact they felt it necessary to nerf Thief's auto-attacks on his core weapons effectively making a class who's NOT DESIGNED for sustained fights and DESIGNED to kill people fast... unable to do the damage to get the job done.

I'm a deadeye who gets down and dirty with people who challenge me in melee. What am I to do now that the melee weapons are nerfed so badly that my mark basically UNDOs the damage of this nerf? I'm having a rough time trying to kill shit with Dagger dagger. The only way I'm doing anything good, is if I take freaking Assassin's Signet and pop it every 20s and hope to god I land a damn backstab. There goes one slot for my UTILITIES! HUR HUR! It feels bad when a freaking engie is able to out trade me by autos alone. I can't even IMAGINE what this feels like on Core Thief builds, which were still good before this BS. Yes I can still wreck face with a rifle, but kiting on it is expensive and not worth the wasted time.

I guess I might as well make a Mesmer. They're the new thieves now. And I don't mean for being OP. I mean actually doing what a thief is supposed to do.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:I don't know which monkey is responsible for these ""balance"" change, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of monkey.

I'm alright with most of the cooldown nerfs and buffs. But I don't know what's more atrocious. What they did to Unhindered Combatant with that exhaustion kitten, or the fact they felt it necessary to nerf Thief's auto-attacks on his core weapons effectively making a class who's NOT DESIGNED for sustained fights and DESIGNED to kill people fast... unable to do the damage to get the job done.

I'm a deadeye who gets down and dirty with people who challenge me in melee. What am I to do now that the melee weapons are nerfed so badly that my mark basically UNDOs the damage of this nerf? I'm having a rough time trying to kill kitten with Dagger dagger. The only way I'm doing anything good, is if I take freaking Assassin's Signet and pop it every 20s and hope to god I land a kitten backstab. There goes one slot for my UTILITIES! HUR HUR! It feels bad when a freaking engie is able to out trade me by autos alone. I can't even IMAGINE what this feels like on Core Thief builds, which were still good before this BS. Yes I can still wreck face with a rifle, but kiting on it is expensive and not worth the wasted time.

I guess I might as well make a Mesmer. They're the new thieves now. And I don't mean for being OP. I mean actually doing what a thief is supposed to do.

I couldn't agree more the the lethal out lethal lol, dead eye is joke. Now people are like "awwwww that was cute! thief tried to kill me awwwwww counter burst dead!"

Seems the thief is now forced to be a zergling. Set up for venom share with sb as a dd or de, run around scared someone might see you and drop poison fields all over. Until the next "balance" where they'll nerf that as well. Personally I hope they buff Prayer to Lyssa next "balance". Everyone uses that? Right?

You have a few options.Option one: stick with a power build, but drop zerker. If you look at the patch notes, it seems like they are finally trying to lean away from glass cannon builds. Maybe try some of the other power stats that include toughness or Vit in the mix.Option two: Try a Condi build for a while. Either way, Zerker is probably going to be dead for the next quarter or so while they see how these changes pan out.

@"Bern.9613" said:Seems the thief is now forced to be a zergling. Set up for venom share with sb as a dd or de, run around scared someone might see you and drop poison fields all over. Until the next "balance" where they'll nerf that as well. Personally I hope they buff Prayer to Lyssa next "balance". Everyone uses that? Right?

You laugh, but as a Condi DE, I was dropping Plat Knights left and right in WvW. XD

@Kallist.5917 said:You have a few options.Option one: stick with a power build, but drop zerker. If you look at the patch notes, it seems like they are finally trying to lean away from glass cannon builds. Maybe try some of the other power stats that include toughness or Vit in the mix.Option two: Try a Condi build for a while. Either way, Zerker is probably going to be dead for the next quarter or so while they see how these changes pan out.

What thief goes zerks in PvP... My main armor is Marauders or Valks.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@Kallist.5917 said:You have a few options.Option one: stick with a power build, but drop zerker. If you look at the patch notes, it seems like they are finally trying to lean away from glass cannon builds. Maybe try some of the other power stats that include toughness or Vit in the mix.Option two: Try a Condi build for a while. Either way, Zerker is probably going to be dead for the next quarter or so while they see how these changes pan out.

What thief goes zerks in PvP... My main armor is Marauders or Valks.

lol OP said he was running full zerker.

If thieves are such problem we should just get rid of the class? I mean they are useless in PvE. There is plenty op about the other classes but thief is the most?I refuse to be some condition hoppy hop thief or some double pistol spamming. You can spam chain rifle and pistols burst for days.

@GenerationX.9178 said:

If thieves are such problem we should just get rid of the class? I mean they are useless in PvE. There is plenty op about the other classes but thief is the most?

I really dont think we were a problem. I think they just want to extend the fights to longer than 2-3 seconds for bursters. Make WvW and PvP more accessible to new players. As for us being useless in PVE, I disagree completely. I can Raid, solo dungeon battles and many fractals. I can and have played all the story content alone, even getting the achievements for them on my own. Just cant go in expecting a PVP build to steamroll it.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:Thief's autos for dagger and sword were nerfed by 14%. Unfortunately, backstab is also an auto. You need to focus more on your 2-5 skills now... But the init costs are too high to use them extensively for what they push out in damage. Especially when they are designed for specific circumstances. Or use a staff or rifle. It feels like a harsh struggle now. Kinda kitten, but Anets never been doing us favors.

Hooooooold up there partner. I thought it was only the auto attack chain (double strike, wild strike lotus strike) that got nerfed and backstab was left untouched? Can anyone confirm?

@CreedOfGod.9764 said:

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:Thief's autos for dagger and sword were nerfed by 14%. Unfortunately, backstab is also an auto. You need to focus more on your 2-5 skills now... But the init costs are too high to use them extensively for what they push out in damage. Especially when they are designed for specific circumstances. Or use a staff or rifle. It feels like a harsh struggle now. Kinda kitten, but Anets never been doing us favors.

Hooooooold up there partner. I thought it was only the auto attack chain (double strike, wild strike lotus strike) that got nerfed and backstab was left untouched? Can anyone confirm?

I also thought what Leo did, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Backstab seems untouched.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

I also thought what Leo did, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Backstab seems untouched.

Maybe my tilt is over stacked after years of nerfs.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Condi Thief was untouched, in fact, P/D just got a buff with a CnD cost reduction.

Not exactly untouched. Panic strike had its ICD increased..

Panic Strike is not a Condi Thief trait, Deadly Trapper is. You will only see Panic Strike on Hybrid, but not Condi.

I don't recall the last time I saw a condi thief play with traps, but whatever you say!

Archived