Sand through Glass - should it also detarget?

Curunen.8729

It's a nice stunbreak with evade, and the mirror is nice to axe2/jaunt/reversephaseretreat through, but it still feels lacking compared with other utility skills.

Perhaps adding a detarget to it would enable it to compete for a secure utility slot? Would kind of make sense thematically - ie you dodge backwards, and "disappear" (detarget) leaving a mirror in your place.

There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.

This would only add one more skill to the detarget category - which I don't think would be excessive.

Tbh I'd sooner remove detarget from axe 3 (given a lot of the time you end up shattering the clones so it's easy for the opponent to retarget. Axe could be compensated in other ways) in order to put it on StG.

@Curunen.8729 said:There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.

This would only add one more skill to the detarget category - which I don't think would be excessive.

Tbh I'd sooner remove detarget from axe 3 (given a lot of the time you end up shattering the clones so it's easy for the opponent to retarget. Axe could be compensated in other ways) in order to put it on StG.

That's a fair amount of detargetting skills honestly. Especially when you stop and consider that we are the only class with such skills.

@K THEN.5162 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.What about
stealth
@OriOri.8724 said:@Curunen.8729 said:There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.

That's a fair amount of detargetting skills honestly. Especially when you stop and consider that we are the only class with such skills.

Fair enough - I didn't take stealth into consideration.

I do still think Sand through Glass could benefit from being a detarget skill, whether that means removing detarget/stealth from somewhere else such as axe 3 or even Signet of Midnight as it used to be in the past - although not sure what to replace it with here otherwise that would become an useless utility skill again. But if stealth was just limited to Decoy/Prestige/Veil/MI, then it should be ok having IA and StG as two detarget alternatives along with Mirror Images (given you can only slot 3).

Or maybe it should be removed from Mirror Images and put on Sand through Glass instead? Would keep it restricted to Mirage spec only.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:The problem is when you lose the target on Mesmer, there’s so much clone spam it takes some considerable amount of time to target the real one back.Sure I agree the phantasm spam does need capping as it makes this a problem, but I don't think there's too much issue retargeting among clones - usually only takes a second or two to flick through.

Edit: I should say I'm not too hung up on this - it's still a decent skill, even if below par compared with other utilities.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.What about
stealth
@OriOri.8724 said:@Curunen.8729 said:There's only IA, axe 3 and Mirror Images. I don't think Mirror Images is used much right now as it is, so then it's only IA and axe 3 - that's two skills, albeit one on a low cooldown when traited.

I do still think Sand through Glass could benefit from being a detarget skill, whether that means removing detarget/stealth from somewhere else such as axe 3 or even Signet of Midnight as it used to be in the past - although not sure what to replace it with here otherwise that would become an useless utility skill again. But if stealth was just limited to Decoy/Prestige/Veil/MI, then it should be ok having IA and StG as two detarget alternatives along with Mirror Images (given you can only slot 3).

Or maybe it should be removed from Mirror Images and put on Sand through Glass instead? Would keep it restricted to Mirage spec only.

@"Imperadordf.2687" said:The problem is when you lose the target on Mesmer, there’s so much clone spam it takes some considerable amount of time to target the real one back.Sure I agree the phantasm spam does need capping as it makes this a problem, but I don't think there's too much issue retargeting among clones - usually only takes a second or two to flick through.

Edit: I should say I'm not too hung up on this - it's still a decent skill, even if below par compared with other utilities.

Honestly this isn't really related to this thread at all, but reading your comment made me think about giving mesmers a unique effect on a few of their skills. It would make us untargettable for X seconds, so we could only be hit by AoEs/cleave attacks/attacks that can be roughly "aimed" in a general direction. We would lose some of our stealth skills in exchange. Granted, it would be a pretty pointless effect what with the excessive amount of AoE in the game currently, but its a fun idea to me

I don't think breaking target would be a good enough reason to take StG, while just by existing, it would just make people hate mesmers even a tiny bit more.

I would prefer a real buff, to be honest, like make the evade last 1s. Even if the cd was increased to say 30s, you get up to 2s of evasion and a stun break, which is decent.

@OriOri.8724 said:

stealth

@"Imperadordf.2687" said:The problem is when you lose the target on Mesmer, there’s so much clone spam it takes some considerable amount of time to target the real one back.Sure I agree the phantasm spam does need capping as it makes this a problem, but I don't think there's too much issue retargeting among clones - usually only takes a second or two to flick through.

Honestly this isn't really related to this thread at all, but reading your comment made me think about giving mesmers a unique effect on a few of their skills. It would make us untargettable for X seconds, so we could only be hit by AoEs/cleave attacks/attacks that can be roughly "aimed" in a general direction. We would lose some of our stealth skills in exchange. Granted, it would be a pretty pointless effect what with the excessive amount of AoE in the game currently, but its a fun idea to me

How would that work with auto attacks, though? If I had action camera on and was shooting stuff your way without targeting you?

@"RabbitUp.8294" said:I don't think breaking target would be a good enough reason to take StG, while just by existing, it would just make people hate mesmers even a tiny bit more.

I would prefer a real buff, to be honest, like make the evade last 1s. Even if the cd was increased to say 30s, you get up to 2s of evasion and a stun break, which is decent.

Hmm, on one hand it could be a downgrade from now in terms of the longer cooldown as well as exacerbating the current negative outlook regarding "perma evade" chaining. But I wouldn't be against it either.

@OriOri.8724 said:

stealth

This would be pretty cool, although would require some careful balance. But yeah on the other hand everyone would be pushed into taking all the cleave/aoe they can get, sidelining single target skills even further.

Archived