Needing advice

Bobert.7458

So i have been playing a power crono for a bit now and i like it. But i no one wants me since i dont play support crono. And its not the best in pvp or wvw. And ive spent all my gold and time trying get it geared for what he is now..and its just reeling like a waste at this point. I was thinking of starting fresh with a different class but everytime i pick something im told or read here on the forums that it basically sucks. And the guilds i have been in are less then helpful. Im at the point of just hanging it up for good. So before i jump ship and give up.....is there any advice some one can give me or point me to a class that i can play that would be ok all around in all game modes. I really like this game i just hate not being good...or being able to be a part of stuff here...sorry if this just seems like im crying or whatever...thanks for your time.

First and foremost:

Play what & how you want to play

Read it, internalise it, make it your mantra, by god live it. These days gamers tend to forget that ultimately we (should) play for enjoyment and relaxation. Granted, competitive gaming is a thing but generally speaking I want to have a good time. If I turn off my computer after a long gaming session the only thing I should feel is hunger because I forgot about eating :p

Now forums are generally a terrible place for advice because from what I've learned in all my years of gaming (and frequenting forums), almost all the people that post on forums are angry about something and or feel the need to voice their opinion. While this is of course the purpose of a forum it leads to a horrible misrepresentation of the community because the people that just have fun and enjoy the game with all its flaws usually don't post on the forums. (And I'm not saying we should accept problems and major bugs but some people do tend to dramatise issues)

In GW2 especially I've come to realise that according to the forums, there's usually only 1-2 specs that are ALMOST viable. (Be it PvE, SPvP or WvW)All the others are horrid and you're stupid for playing them. (And of course it's never the profession you're playing because god forbid you accept that your spec is actually amazing and the only thing holding it back is yourself)

Now if you were to believe the forums this means that every other profession should be reworked from the ground up and / or canned. So do you as a player now join your new XY (insert FOTM here) overlords or do you play the profession that attracts you the most?It is important to note that while some numbers cruncher may pop in here (they can be found in many other threads) and list the objective reason why profession X is the only viable option, they usually speak from an insanely narrow viewpoint of the absolute top few %. While most everyone enjoys eking out the maximum in an MMO it generates this weird idea that only whatever is currently performing the absolute best is viable and everything else should be avoided like the plague "to hell with your enjoyment we're here to progress and be the very best we could ever be".

Community perception is a real problem because once someone shows that a certain spec or profession objectively deals 1% more dmg in a perfect scenario while being played by some 1% prodigy, a lot of people interpret this as "spec / profession X is the only good option". Of course I'm exaggerating and there's usually 4-5 specs that are hailed as top dogs but the principle is the same. As soon as you're not playing one of those select few, you're hot trash and trying to make pigs fly.

In your situation specifically:You're playing power chrono which is absolutely 100% meta imo. (and since my opinion doesn't count here a link to metabattle which also lists power chrono as a great option, again this is obviously just one instance and we're back to the problem I just mentioned about community perception that is generated by choice websites / people that posit what is and what isn't viable, still here is another instance telling you not to lose hope)

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Power_DPS

So accept that your profession choice isn't bad and get to practising. Because the one factor that is ultimately going to make or break ANY spec in this game is the player. If you mess up you can play the best spec in the game and still be useless. Also try to find friends / guilds that accept your choice and know that basically any profession can clear any content at a decent pace if the player knows what he / she is doing. Power chrono is good and Mesmer overall is one of the professions that gets hailed as amazing so if you enjoy it, don't ditch it for something you may not enjoy as much that is (currently) performing better (according to the forums).

Ultimately I'd say, eff all the haters and enjoy the game. You're a power chrono and you rock !

@"BestWurstinTown.8521" said:First and foremost:

Play what & how you want to play

Read it, internalise it, make it your mantra, by god live it. These days gamers tend to forget that ultimately we (should) play for enjoyment and relaxation. Granted, competitive gaming is a thing but generally speaking I want to have a good time. If I turn off my computer after a long gaming session the only thing I should feel is hunger because I forgot about eating :p

Now forums are generally a terrible place for advice because from what I've learned in all my years of gaming (and frequenting forums), almost all the people that post on forums are angry about something and or feel the need to voice their opinion. While this is of course the purpose of a forum it leads to a horrible misrepresentation of the community because the people that just have fun and enjoy the game with all its flaws usually don't post on the forums. (And I'm not saying we should accept problems and major bugs but some people do tend to dramatise issues)

In GW2 especially I've come to realise that according to the forums, there's usually only 1-2 specs that are ALMOST viable. (Be it PvE, SPvP or WvW)All the others are horrid and you're stupid for playing them. (And of course it's never the profession you're playing because god forbid you accept that your spec is actually amazing and the only thing holding it back is yourself)

Now if you were to believe the forums this means that every other profession should be reworked from the ground up and / or canned. So do you as a player now join your new XY (insert FOTM here) overlords or do you play the profession that attracts you the most?It is important to note that while some numbers cruncher may pop in here (they can be found in many other threads) and list the objective reason why profession X is the only viable option, they usually speak from an insanely narrow viewpoint of the absolute top few %. While most everyone enjoys eking out the maximum in an MMO it generates this weird idea that only whatever is currently performing the absolute best is viable and everything else should be avoided like the plague "to hell with your enjoyment we're here to progress and be the very best we could ever be".

Community perception is a real problem because once someone shows that a certain spec or profession objectively deals 1% more dmg in a perfect scenario while being played by some 1% prodigy, a lot of people interpret this as "spec / profession X is the only good option". Of course I'm exaggerating and there's usually 4-5 specs that are hailed as top dogs but the principle is the same. As soon as you're not playing one of those select few, you're hot trash and trying to make pigs fly.

In your situation specifically:You're playing power chrono which is absolutely 100% meta imo. (and since my opinion doesn't count here a link to metabattle which also lists power chrono as a great option, again this is obviously just one instance and we're back to the problem I just mentioned about community perception that is generated by choice websites / people that posit what is and what isn't viable, still here is another instance telling you not to lose hope)

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Power_DPS

So accept that your profession choice isn't bad and get to practising. Because the one factor that is ultimately going to make or break ANY spec in this game is the player. If you mess up you can play the best spec in the game and still be useless. Also try to find friends / guilds that accept your choice and know that basically any profession can clear any content at a decent pace if the player knows what he / she is doing. Power chrono is good and Mesmer overall is one of the professions that gets hailed as amazing so if you enjoy it, don't ditch it for something you may not enjoy as much that is (currently) performing better (according to the forums).

Ultimately I'd say, eff all the haters and enjoy the game. You're a power chrono and you rock !

Thanks for the wise words. I will do my best and will try to find a decent guild/grp of players..that could probably be my biggest issue. Not having a good grp of folks to play the game with. You sir...rock!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why people look so down on pure dps builds, they are very much needed for pressure in WvW and PvP for instance. If we all rolled healers we wouldn't be able to do anything. That being said - running a powerspec means your passive contribution to your group is minimal, so it might be a good idea to work a little harder than the rest for a while until people see what you can bring to the table (thus being wanted for groups). This means:

• Staying alive the longest
  • Getting of resses (you have invuln :) )
  • Creating opportunities for your group (cc'ing mobs, downing enemy players)
  • If you run an off meta build, look for tweaks in traits an skills that allow you to do a little something cool for your party (alacrity share f.ex) if it doesn't hamper you
  • Bring feasts, heroes banners and the like because this will net you an invite on it's own xD
  • Practice your situational awareness - knowing what to do exactly when is often the most useful ability in any fight and will outshine anything any profession can contribute to a fight.Accept you are pure damage. Improve on supporting your teammates as good as possible, and you will never be unwanted as long as people get to see you in action :)

going to repeat a couple of points:

power mesmer is a good dps atm.if people want a support chrono... you should run with two chronos then. one support and you as dps (speaking of pve). i dont see the problem - the dps is very (!!) "viable".you also add utility(skills) to the group, if needed.

in pvp and wvw power chrono is very strong aswell. less effective in wvw blob fights - just adjust to the zerg by using the veil utility, drop it where the tag wants it (voicechat required to chain veils with other mesmers) and then run around the two zergs and kill solo backliners = you are doing a good and demanded job.however, you want to work on your personal surviving skills and chaining abilities in order to survive in full dps/outsmart people.

whoever said that chrono is nuts in whatever you want to play, has a very narrow way of thinking. mesmer has a decent amount of builds in all situations, that work very good - being meta or very close to meta standards (speaking of dps and utility in pve)

Archived