Tyria World Map

Alga.6498

I randomly googled on GW2 stuff and I bumped into the World map of Tyria and damn, look at this!I haven't seen this map so big as we currently in-game can't see this much!

Explored map

X7OLdeB.jpg

Unexplored map

ZcvxWWK.jpg

We have sooo many places to go! I wonder if we'll go North East according to this map? Or atleast East?Or South West futher into Cantha? :D :D :D
AAAAAAAHHHHH I am so excited where our 3rd expansion and our Living World will take us, :grimace: :grin: :joy:

I'm also optimistic about all the places we haven't been, but, a word of caution to temper that- from what I've been told, there are hard-coded limitations that means the image file for the world map must, or at least should, be a square. It is possible, although a bit less exciting, that the expanses we can't currently see in-game were included to fill out that square, and not out of any intent to go there in the concrete future- after all, there must be a reason they chose not to show them to us.

I am very interested in a version of the map with the chronology of that Kralkatorrik "purple scar" on Tyria.

where/when is him originall sleep place?where/when he awoke and fly making the first scar path and where/when him stopped?where/when the destiny events ocorred?when he flew to vabbi?

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:I am very interested in a version of the map with the chronology of that Kralkatorrik "purple scar" on Tyria.

where/when is him originall sleep place?where/when he awoke and fly making the first scar path and where/when him stopped?where/when the destiny events ocorred?when he flew to vabbi?

His original resting place is more or less the middle of the Blood Legion Homelands- a little bit north of where the Brand actually starts.The first Brand stretched to Glint's Lair in the south-eastern corner of the Desert Highlands, which is also where the events of Destiny's Edge occurred. After the fight, he remained there for a few years.From what we're told, he flew to Vabbi after Mordremoth's death in HoT. The exact point is a bit up in the air.

Just me guessing but I doubt we will head to Cantha soon. They made the new map wide rather than tall suggesting we will explore new regions of tyria instead of revisit. However... Nostalgic visit of Cantha would bring some pretty huge money I would think and also possibly correspond with the eventual release of the new WvW Alliance system.

@Justine.6351 said:Just me guessing but I doubt we will head to Cantha soon. They made the new map wide rather than tall suggesting we will explore new regions of tyria instead of revisit. However... Nostalgic visit of Cantha would bring some pretty huge money I would think and also possibly correspond with the eventual release of the new WvW Alliance system.The map's size more has to do with the fact that its, in many cases, easier to make a square map, and then limit how much of it you can see, then it is to just make a map that fits only the area one can see.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Just me guessing but I doubt we will head to Cantha soon. They made the new map wide rather than tall suggesting we will explore new regions of tyria instead of revisit. However... Nostalgic visit of Cantha would bring some pretty huge money I would think and also possibly correspond with the eventual release of the new WvW Alliance system.The map's size more has to do with the fact that its, in many cases, easier to make a square map, and then limit how much of it you can see, then it is to just make a map that fits only the area one can see.

What is easier about making a square map with alot of unused space on it that so far has never been explored ingame or even in lore? If they just made a narrow tall map it would trim down on side scrolling dead space too.

@Justine.6351 said:

What is easier about making a square map with alot of unused space on it that so far has never been explored ingame or even in lore? If they just made a narrow tall map it would trim down on side scrolling dead space too.Unless GW2 has some truly wierd map mechanics, you could still only make a "smaller" map. If max map size is 10x10 (ignoring depth), you cant make a 20x5 map even if its the "same" size squared. Lornars Pass for example is just an indication of how conservative stock maps really was in size. If normal stock maps are 6x6 (and various variations of that), Lornar did 10x3 instead while PoF does 8x8+ (if you actually look at the maps, none of them truly max out the squared size, such a map would be ~50% larger than any PoF map I think... and thats still ignoring depth, heh... food for thought).

@Justine.6351 said:What is easier about making a square map with alot of unused space on it that so far has never been explored ingame or even in lore? If they just made a narrow tall map it would trim down on side scrolling dead space too.It has to do with the game ways read files.

Almost every game ever made has perfectly square texture files, even if the object itself isn't square, with the rest of the file being transparent space, rather then them just making the file the shape of the texture.

There's quite a few decent chunks of land around to stick living world maps in. There's plenty of room for new maps in Elona, even assuming Kourna's big enough that they would save it for an expansion, You could get at least 2-3 more maps out of Istan alone. However, there's nothing that says they have to be in Elona, especially since Joko's threat has now gone global. There's plenty of suspiciously rectangular blocks of land just waiting to be filled in, like the archipelago south of Mt Maelstrom, the empty block in the center of Orr, or the Alcazia Tangle region between the Grove and Rata Sum.

@Justine.6351 said:

What is easier about making a square map with alot of unused space on it that so far has never been explored ingame or even in lore? If they just made a narrow tall map it would trim down on side scrolling dead space too.

A lot of developing software for games and 3d art reads texture images in square sets of pixels. Images uploaded will always take up, e.g., 1024px by 1024px of memory even if the image is 1000px by 900px. So it would be easier, or more accurately, less wasteful, to use the entire 1024px by 1024px. This would enforce a square for the image.

On top of that, textures themselves usually have to be of specific ratios (usually 1:1, e.g., a square) in order to wrap around the frame properly. You'll seldom find a 3d model that doesn't have a square texture block for it. But that little bit of knowledge is irrelevant for the world map - though it is relevant for the globes in the game.

They do not need to show all of the map in the game, however, as we can see the full height of the world map from the dat but not the full width. So there's no dead scrolling space as it stands.

That said, this isn't the first time we got a look at what's east of the Blazeridge on maps - we had a preview since launch! and a better one came out with Season 2. There's also a handful of lore about the charr lands east of the Blazeridge (literally only a couple things mind you). And then there's the small lore on Dzalana.

Playing a bit of both sides here, but the fact that the map stops at the southern tip of Istan doesn't mean we won't go to Cantha. At launch, only the Desert Highlands and possibly sone of the Crystal Oasis could be seen. Then, when Path of Fire released, the map lowered to just below Vabbi. It was only when Season 4 started did we even see the map as it is today. That being said, Cantha is a LOOOOONG boatride south. Airships might avoid the deep sea minions, but no telling if the engines will have enough fuel to make it that far, or there be a surprise sea minion that could attack it. Besides, we have pretty much no reason to go there, especially when Tyrians probably won't be welcome. Even those of Canthan origin would probably receive a chilly welcome, what with a group called the Ministry of Purity in charge.

There is still plenty of lands to explore on the northern continent. There are the charr homelands, the Northern Shiverpeaks, Kourna, and the other lands surrounding Elona for a start. The Sandswept Isles were the first new land we've seen since Heart of Thorns, and even much of that was retread ground. I'm eager for some new lands to see, and if any of the other Nightfall heroes will get a reference. I think only two or three are left at this point.

@Rognik.2579 said:Playing a bit of both sides here, but the fact that the map stops at the southern tip of Istan doesn't mean we won't go to Cantha.

I don't think anyone has been saying that.

Rather, folks are saying that the distance and the apparent need for the gw.dat's map to be a giant square hinders the possibility of Cantha (unless they make Cantha a separate world map like they've done to the Mists).

Similarly, folks are saying that just because they need to make a square map for the gw.dat, doesn't mean we'll be exploring all of that map - in order to get to Istan, they needed to show further west or east, and chose east for unknown-to-us reasons (if any reason in particular). So there's no real telling which direction the story goes - they could flesh out more of the world map, or they could simply expand it more.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:And here is the map of the whole planetTyria_%28world%29_map_2.png

And here is the map properly fitted to a globe so we don't get the massive land distortions seen on the above map

This is wonderful. We should start a Tyrian Space Project immediately to get satellite footage on this beautiful planet. Is it possible to see Tarir from up there?

Does anyone have Information on the massive inland sea east of the blazeridge mountains?

@Castigator.3470 said:This is wonderful. We should start a Tyrian Space Project immediately to get satellite footage on this beautiful planet. Is it possible to see Tarir from up there?

Does anyone have Information on the massive inland sea east of the blazeridge mountains?Given the typcial MMO facts thatA. All maps are massively scaled downB. all cities are massively oversized compared to the maps they are on

I highly doubt Tarir, or anything in particular, could be seen from orbit.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Castigator.3470 said:This is wonderful. We should start a Tyrian Space Project immediately to get satellite footage on this beautiful planet. Is it possible to see Tarir from up there?

Does anyone have Information on the massive inland sea east of the blazeridge mountains?Given the typcial MMO facts thatA. All maps are massively scaled downB. all cities are massively oversized compared to the maps they are on

I highly doubt Tarir, or anything in particular, could be seen from orbit.

Well, I guess so. Unless you observe Tyria at night and the people there light their streets, a city cannot be observed with the naked eye.Still so much of Tyria (planet) left to explore. Things like the homelands of Ash and Blood-Legion, that inland sea east of Ascalon doesn't seem to be on our ingame map.

@Castigator.3470 said:Well, I guess so. Unless you observe Tyria at night and the people there light their streets, a city cannot be observed with the naked eye.Still so much of Tyria (planet) left to explore. Things like the homelands of Ash and Blood-Legion, that inland sea east of Ascalon doesn't seem to be on our ingame map.True, but if you also look at the map, most of Vabbi should be underwater, yet it is clearly not in-game.

Though, we should take into consideration that the actual visible map in-game doesn't go out quite that far, so all of the unseen parts of the map, that we only know of due to ripping the map texture, are just place holders until they actually expand the map out that way, if they ever do.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:True, but if you also look at the map, most of Vabbi should be underwater, yet it is clearly not in-game.

I think that's supposed to be the southern Desolation area. Which flows with The Movement of the World and the Elon flooding the southern Crystal Desert (and not just some silly but large river). This map shows it better as it translates the New Krytan.

It's disappointing but not surprising that they've retconned their major bodies of water out...

East of The Desolation game zone, but still part of The Desolation region (now dubbed Sulfurous Wastes on the world map, similar to the poster map of Nightfall) as notable with GW1's map which showed that area between the two zones. Whereas with Vabbi, the western edge of the zone is also the western edge of the province/region.

And the western edge of that inland sea would cover the Bone Palace and, by the looks of it, The Akali Pan as seen in GW2 too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived