GW2 Features Management

Hi,I wanted to discuss about the current situation of the game and they way ANET introduces changes.Given the fact that silly stuff has been introduced for a long time, it would be nice if options to manage different features were given.

I am talking about stuff like this:

• An option to disable all minis.
  • An option to set all Weapons as standard weapons ( Maybe with a pool of 4/5 stanrdard models ).
  • An option to set all armors as standard ( maybe apool of 4/5 standard models ).
  • An option to set all gliders with the basic skin.
  • An option to set all mounts with the basic skins.
  • An option to allow only basic dyes ( no flashy dyes, so only core game basic dyes ).
  • An option to set all mail carriers with the basic skin.
  • An option to set all gathering tools with the basic skin.
  • Sounds ( they could work on a better management, or maybe just an option which only allows basic sounds ).

This will help us in different ways:

• to manage the game for a better experience on tyria
  • to gain better performances ( only standardized stuff would be loaded ).
  • to accept everything ( lorebroken, stupid, noisy, annoying ) ANET decides to introduce ( you don't like reskinned mounts or ridiculous weapons? you will then have the choice to play in a more realistic world ).

That's it.

Shortly my point is this:

Features are always welcome, but options should be given to players in order to decide if use that new feature or notObviously you wouldn't be able to chose what to turn on ( only SAB SKINS!!!! ), but only to allow everything or just the basic stuff.

i wouldn't mind settings to improve performance for ppl with lower end PCs but this seems to be designed for ppl who just don't want to look at ugly ppl and they'll complain anyway because they see the same 9 humans at all time anyway (in pvp this is ok because it helps identify what you're fighting easier and it doesn't work in the lobby)

@derd.6413 said:i wouldn't mind settings to improve performance for ppl with lower end PCs but this seems to be designed for ppl who just don't want to look at ugly ppl and they'll complain anyway because they see the same 9 humans at all time anyway (in pvp this is ok because it helps identify what you're fighting easier and it doesn't work in the lobby)

Not only in SPvP, but WvW too ( because it will reduce lag and avoid stupid flashy skins/weapons/effects ).I guess also in PvE ( during Raids/Fractals ) could find some use, for a more clear fight.

However, given 2 options, players will be able to chose among them ( if they don't like them, they could simply return to the main options, or even just allow armors, for an instance ).

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@derd.6413 said:i wouldn't mind settings to improve performance for ppl with lower end PCs but this seems to be designed for ppl who just don't want to look at ugly ppl and they'll complain anyway because they see the same 9 humans at all time anyway (in pvp this is ok because it helps identify what you're fighting easier and it doesn't work in the lobby)

Not only in SPvP, but WvW too ( because it will reduce lag and avoid stupid flashy skins/weapons/effects ).I guess also in PvE ( during Raids/Fractals ) could find some use, for a more clear fight.

However, given 2 options, players will be able to chose among them ( if they don't like them, they could simply return to the main options, or even just allow armors, for an instance ).

i was referring to both spvp and wvw.

but i doubt skins cause much lag or unclarity (compared to the particle spam of some skills)

@Shirlias.8104 said:

• An option to set all gliders with the basic skin.
  • An option to set all gathering tools with the basic skin.These two in particular I would use. I don't see it used often now but the Meteor glider is difficult to look at, as is one of the giant raven wings gliders. I would consider disabling gathering tools just to avoid ever hearing the Jack-in-the-box scythe tool. I have nightmares from that laugh.

Because I don't see the need? People with lower end computers can adjust their graphics settings, and isn't there a bloom setting to cut down on effects? The major system killer, as far as I can tell, are all the skill effects going off at one time, and that's a known issue that, in so far as I'm aware, is being worked on, or at least looked at. So other than performance issues, a lot of which can be handled by the end user, what's the purpose of this?

@robertthebard.8150 said:Because I don't see the need? People with lower end computers can adjust their graphics settings, and isn't there a bloom setting to cut down on effects? The major system killer, as far as I can tell, are all the skill effects going off at one time, and that's a known issue that, in so far as I'm aware, is being worked on, or at least looked at. So other than performance issues, a lot of which can be handled by the end user, what's the purpose of this?

Getting even better performances, Better quality in terms of gameplay ( effects are definitely a major issue, but also skins/auras and other stuff like this don't help when many players stacks on each other ) and the possibility to have a more immersive Tyria without stupid senseless stuff.

Your reasoning doesnt fit an MMO. Especially a game that has been dubbed "Fashion Wars" it doesnt make sense to give players control over how other people dress up their characters.

I do agree theres some horrible examples out there, and I do think sometimes its over the top. But that's not a reason to let you alter the game so all that is hidden. Thats really fitting for a non social singleplayer game. In most MMOs at least part is about expressing yourself and communicating with other players like that. (Even if that sometimes just communicates, "i dont have a good sense of colour or like to deliberately look incredibly silly")

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I do agree theres some horrible examples out there, and I do think sometimes its over the top. But that's not a reason to let you alter the game so all that is hidden. Thats really fitting for a non social singleplayer game.

Definitely wrong, because I won't hide any other player and still I will continue to play with them.I will just custom the way i play in order to have a more clear graphic and less useless stuff ( which other purposes has not, in terms of gameplay, but lowering the game performances and making eventually harder the gameplay, due to effects and shinies ).

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:Because I don't see the need? People with lower end computers can adjust their graphics settings, and isn't there a bloom setting to cut down on effects? The major system killer, as far as I can tell, are all the skill effects going off at one time, and that's a known issue that, in so far as I'm aware, is being worked on, or at least looked at. So other than performance issues, a lot of which can be handled by the end user, what's the purpose of this?

Getting even better performances, Better quality in terms of gameplay ( effects are definitely a major issue, but also skins/auras and other stuff like this don't help when many players stacks on each other ) and the possibility to have a more immersive Tyria without stupid senseless stuff.

It's neither stupid, nor senseless. People invested their time into it, and it's worth something, to them. I don't have any of that stuff, all my gear is pretty "mundane", but this appears to be a personal issue for you, based on this quote, and unless it's a serious bug that's completely broken your game, personal issues don't need dev time to fix.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@robertthebard.8150 said:Because I don't see the need? People with lower end computers can adjust their graphics settings, and isn't there a bloom setting to cut down on effects? The major system killer, as far as I can tell, are all the skill effects going off at one time, and that's a known issue that, in so far as I'm aware, is being worked on, or at least looked at. So other than performance issues, a lot of which can be handled by the end user, what's the purpose of this?

It's neither stupid, nor senseless. People invested their time into it, and it's worth something, to them. I don't have any of that stuff, all my gear is pretty "mundane", but this appears to be a personal issue for you, based on this quote, and unless it's a serious bug that's completely broken your game, personal issues don't need dev time to fix.

It's not a new feature but expanding one of the ones already existing, which are meant to trade performance in exchange of details.We do already have options for sounds, armor details, animations and so on.

Giving more customization will lead primary to better performances, but it could also be useful in order to have a more clear gameplay.And because it's up to the single player, it won't affect any of the other players.

You can disagree that is not a main feature ( like chairs and the possibility to sit seem to be ), but that's all.

I don't think the dyes option would work, the best you could hope for there would be an option that sets everything to a single dye. Otherwise they would have to take every single non-basic dye and select a dye to associate it with for display purposes. That's a lot of work for something that ultimately doesn't matter. It's not like dyes make a computer go slower so you can't even argue that it would help people on lower end PCs.

To add to the list: an option to disable infusion effects.I support people's right to turn themselves into giant glowing buzzing confetti monsters, but I also support people's desire to not have to see it if they don't want to. (Also performance issues)

Voted against bc there are ppl out there who really care how you see their character, and anet makes a ton of money off those ppl. And I want anet to make money bc I like playing their game without any additional charges after purchase.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:I don't think the dyes option would work, the best you could hope for there would be an option that sets everything to a single dye. Otherwise they would have to take every single non-basic dye and select a dye to associate it with for display purposes. That's a lot of work for something that ultimately doesn't matter. It's not like dyes make a computer go slower so you can't even argue that it would help people on lower end PCs.

Maybe a mix of everything could ( standard characters which includes X random appareance per class ).This could solve the point ( though i do agree with you that dyes shouldn't harm in any way the performances. But just in case they started to work on giving options... why note complete the whole thing... ).

To add to the list: an option to disable infusion effects.

Right, i forget.

I support people's right to turn themselves into giant glowing buzzing confetti monsters, but I also support people's desire to not have to see it if they don't want to. (Also performance issues)

Simply this ( they did a good start with options to deal with effects, but then somehow stopped halfway ).

@Shirlias.8104 said:

It's not a new feature but expanding one of the ones already existing, which are meant to trade performance in exchange of details.We do already have options for sounds, armor details, animations and so on.

Giving more customization will lead primary to better performances, but it could also be useful in order to have a more clear gameplay.And because it's up to the single player, it won't affect any of the other players.

You can disagree that is not a main feature ( like chairs and the possibility to sit seem to be ), but that's all.

Which is all I did, when I voted no. You asked for elaboration.

I am not sure how well randomization would work since that's something that would have to be done for every person. I don't know whether it would actually make things load faster or not if it required a randomization process for each person. The game does already have a default look for each armour class that show up if you set your options a certain way.

While I don't agree with all the OP's suggestions, as it would take away from the game and isn't differentiated enough (like, what if I always want to be able to see my guild mates' characters as they are, which an "all" option would make impossible), I do agree with some of it and see where this is coming from:

The current SAB annoyance (I don't like Nintendo 64 sounds and objects around me in my fantasy RPG, either). =) :+1:

I would put all the things listed here as very low on my list of things I'd like to see in this game. The way other people look doesn't really affect me at all, unless I see a character that looks like a famous character from a different series and then I like it. But that's just me. I'm not what you would call an ascetically tasted person.

I would like more options but not to hide "silly" things, only to prevent lag and stuff.

Something that is high on my list is a more advanced option to hide/show player names and visual effects.

Today the hide/show player names option only hideall players name, but if you are in a party it wont hide your party member, but thats not a big problem. The problem comes when you are in a full squad of 50 players, their names will still be visible and cover up the whole screen.

So more options to hide/show player names like:▪ Hide/show other player names.▪ Hide/show all player names in the party.▪ Hide/show all player names in the squad.▪ Hide/show all player names in the squad subgroup.▪ Hide/show all player names on the friend list.▪ Hide/show all player names in the guild.

And i wish something similar for visual effects.The screen gets way too messy with all names and all visual effects. I dont have to see all skill effects from all other player in the area togeter with all other visual effects going on at the same time. It covers the screen and sometimes i dont even see my own character.

Options to hide/show visual effects like:▪ Hide/show own skill effect.▪ Hide/show other player skill effect.▪ Hide/show all player skill effect in the party.▪ Hide/show all player skill effect in the squad.▪ Hide/show all player skill effect in the squad subgroup.And same for other visual effect on other players.

And for other visual effects in the surroundings there could be options for on/off and low/medium/high.

Archived