What to best get from WvW Skirmish Chests?

These WvW reward chests you get very frequently offer a bunch of choices:

• 2 Superior Siege Blueprint Cases
  • Improvement and Tactic Pack
  • Tricks and Traps Capsule
  • Canned Food Crate
  • WvW Siege Decoration Case
  • Unidentified Dye
  • Transmutation Charge
  • 20 Badges of Honor
  • 6 Testimonies of Heroics

I'm a rather casual player and would prefer something I can ideally just turn into gold or another useful currency. What would you suggest I take from these chests? What do you people prefer and for what reasons?

I'm asking because for a while I didn't realize how expensive Amalgamated Gemstone is on the TP and took some other useless stuff from PvE meta reward chests. q_qDon't want to repeat a similar mistake.

I always choose the Testimonies, because they are not obtainable easily through other means.If you insist on getting coin, dyes are by far the best choice. 22-26 silver per chest (next best is half that).

Added: If you want Cultural armor, you can save 40s per skirmish chest by getting Badges of Honor & using those to purchase the gear in WvW instead of in cities.

@Taylan.2187 said:

• 2 Superior Siege Blueprint CasesAverage value (assuming equal drop rates): 12-13 silver total for two cases

• Improvement and Tactic PackCannot be monetized, however saves a ton of money for guilds that apply tactics

• Tricks and Traps CapsuleCannot be monetized; saves you from spending some badges and coin if you use traps

• Canned Food CrateCannot be monetized (foods are bound). Saves 5 badges per can (if buying your own). I think the most expensive TP option amounts to a few silver saved.

• WvW Siege Decoration CasePriceless? Cannot be monetized anyhow.

• Unidentified Dye22-30 silver, depending

• Transmutation ChargeThese drop like flies if you play enough to get a lot of Skirmish Reward chests

• 20 Badges of HonorThese drop like flies if you play enough to get a lot of Skirmish Reward chests.Can be convert to coin at a rate of about 40-60 copper per badge. (Cata blueprints or Badges of Tribute; sell on the TP)

Added: If you want Cultural armor, you can save 40s per skirmish chest by getting Badges of Honor & using those to purchase the gear in WvW instead of in cities.

• 6 Testimonies of HeroicsThis is always my choice.They are the WvW equivalent of Laurels. They can be used as a substitute for doing hero challenge, are required for some gear, or can substitute for HoT or PoF currency to acquire certain recipes or upgrades. The skrimish reward chests are, by far, the fastest way to acquire them.

Testimonies are probably the best long-term choice. However, thus far I've been up converting several of my reward chests into badges which I burned through to buy up the cultural armors for the Emperor title. Now I continue to burn through even more badges as I buy infusions to fill out ascended gear on multiple characters (~2250 badges per toon for infusions)

BTW, there's no need to make the decision right away - you can let them stack up all the way to 250 chests before they start eating a 2nd inventory slot. Keeping them in chest form gives you the flexibility to determine what to pick later.

Keep in mind the price of unid dye spiked to 45s+ when the raptor and jackal minis hit the BLC because of people mass-buying them to unlock all the minis right away. It's reasonable expect a griffon, skimmer, and springer mini to come out (probably one soon), and while ~20s isn't too interested, ~40s per chest is more enticing if you want straight up gold.

Archived