Drop rates in certain areas

Texas.4861

I have noticed that the drop rate of certain materials in medium to high level (45-80) areas in Tyria (Original GW2) has dropped drastically (not talking about golds or exotics). I used to get a lot of materials from the Grawl and the Dredge in Timberline Falls around Guilty Tears, but in the last two years or so they drop less and less materials. While areas like Silverwaste and Elona the drop rate is crazy. Why do you (seem) to diminish drops some areas in favor of others? FrostGorge Sound is another place were drops have diminished. I'm not looking for a 100% drop rate but farming for materials is part of the game and it seems like GW2 certain areas get nerfed ( I cant think of a better word ATM) while other places it gets super high drop rates. My assumption (but we know what assumptions are) is to try and drive people to the new areas.

Have you been logging everything over the past two years?

What I mean to say is that it’s easy to perceive something to be one way or the other when based on the ocassional observation. If you were keeping track of every single drop and what you got, you’d probably be able to build a case from it.

I think this is not because of changes to the loottables, there is no indication the loottables changed. There are two mechanics here.

1: psychology. You gain a lot more from HoT and PoF. This is correct. But the experience of less drops from core game maps is wrong, the loottables did not change.2: magic find. Magic find offers you a higher change on a higher tier drop (in rarity). This also mean a lower change of a low tier drop (trash and white). In HoT and PoF the good mats come from higher tier loot bags. (E.g. unidetified gear). In core maps, most come from loot bags like moldy sacks. These are white, so high magic find will lead to lesser core game loot bags.

@Texas.4861 said:I have noticed that the drop rate of certain materials in medium to high level (45-80) areas in Tyria (Original GW2) has dropped drastically (not talking about golds or exotics). I used to get a lot of materials from the Grawl and the Dredge in Timberline Falls around Guilty Tears, but in the last two years or so they drop less and less materials. While areas like Silverwaste and Elona the drop rate is crazy. Why do you (seem) to diminish drops some areas in favor of others? FrostGorge Sound is another place were drops have diminished. I'm not looking for a 100% drop rate but farming for materials is part of the game and it seems like GW2 certain areas get nerfed ( I cant think of a better word ATM) while other places it gets super high drop rates. My assumption (but we know what assumptions are) is to try and drive people to the new areas.

This was probably nerfed due to afk farmers.

What @mercury ranique.2170 and @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

• Unless one tracks all drops, humans have a tendency to forget past patterns and give more emphasis on recent (especially negative) results.
  • There didn't used to be good L80-content sources of similar mats, so it's hard to compare "this is what I get now" with "this is what I used to get."

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Texas.4861 said:I have noticed that the drop rate of certain materials in medium to high level (45-80) areas in Tyria (Original GW2) has dropped drastically (not talking about golds or exotics). I used to get a lot of materials from the Grawl and the Dredge in Timberline Falls around Guilty Tears, but in the last two years or so they drop less and less materials. While areas like Silverwaste and Elona the drop rate is crazy. Why do you (seem) to diminish drops some areas in favor of others? FrostGorge Sound is another place were drops have diminished. I'm not looking for a 100% drop rate but farming for materials is part of the game and it seems like GW2 certain areas get nerfed ( I cant think of a better word ATM) while other places it gets super high drop rates. My assumption (but we know what assumptions are) is to try and drive people to the new areas.

This was probably nerfed due to afk farmers.

That was my thought exactly. If they did reduce drop rates in certain areas it would probably be because of large amounts of AFK farmers.

Another possibility for lower drop rates could be due to diminishing returns.

A few years back i was farming the Grawl in these medium areas for the Gold Large Skulls to make Grawl Weapons... so yes I have noticed a huge drop in the drop in drop rate, drop in drop rate...sorta repetitive... (A few post have mentions that the drop rates in HoT and PoF are higher, but that is in weapons and armour. The areas in HoT have very little nodes and are hard to find actually, a lot of Harvesting nodes, but wood and rocks not so much, PoF has tons of nodes to harvest and tons of loot drops)I am referring to the original areas and material drops not weapons or armour.

Archived