Niche Mirage Use Found! :)

Weerus.3701

First, let me say that I'm happy to find that some players are able to enjoy mirage without it being in any meta, I sadly am not that type of guy and I hate myself for it :P

I don't know what set me off to write this post. It's probably the fact that majority of players are unhappy with mirage and this is my attempt of showing showing fellow mesmers some joy with the new elite spec.

I was pretty much devastated from weekend testing a while ago, since mirage did not bring any huge mesmer play style rework as other classes have been getting them in hot and pof. Also, until today, I was frustrated just as every other guy ranting about how useless mirage is. And the fact is, builds we used so far are pretty much above mirage in "almost" every aspect AND in any game mode!

BUT! Today, I found the niche use for mirage. It is, in fact, a very good dueling specialization, and quite fun at that! Sadly, it comes with a downside, as for it to be viable, it utilized only about good half of what mirage currently offers.For it's play style, you have to avoid chaotic group fights and mostly cap far points, do +1 in small fights and make 1v1 duels. It's not very versatile, but it has a SPECIALIZATION that we were all desperately looking for, and sharp one it is! I will name this mirage build utlimatemobiledueljukebuild XDYour job is to help team with capping far points and as a bonus, you get that sweet satisfaction of killing an enemy 1 on 1 ;)I would like to compare this build to the current thief meta. You have upper hand in a duel with the thief (you have to git gud tho XD ), but at the same time, the thief has more mobility, which translates to his faster map presence - faster capping. So essentially, you are trading a small % of capping effectiveness for upper hand at dueling :)

To give you general idea, it uses axe/pistol for main combat entry with phantasm +stun and clone with ambush skills. Offhand consists of sword/torch for more mobility and extra burning dmg/stealth/fury. Other than Jaunt, I did not take any deception skills. Jaunt coupled with blink and sword ambush skill actually gives you higher burst mobility than thief I think, but doing so, you will create a skill cool down hell, which will probably kill you. BUT, in case it is needed, your escape will be flawless :)Trait wise, distortion grants additional ambush skills, and majority of conditions is at 100% duration thanks to sigils*** and free utility slots. Healing skill is obviously ether fest, and for stomps/stun breaks (maybe ress in certain scenarios) I choose mantra of concentration, which provide you stacks of stability twice whenever you ned, even while you are in stomp animation already! Don't forget, in case you have dodge bound to a certain key like me (fuk double tapping :P ), you can press that key while stomping/rezzing too! Also extra endurance is gained with weapon swap, ;)I would like this build to be tested by professional spvp player, so I could get some constructive feedback about actual viability. If you can't get all the info from this wall XD I would be happy to share this build with anyone in more detail.

On a side note, I decided to create a mesmer facebook group, and I would like to see it becoming full of mesmers (non mesmers are welcome too ofc), so we could debate and share ideas on builds and general mesmer and other fun stuff. Here is the link https://facebook.com/groups/1440503515998680/

***noteI noticed that it actually matters where you put weapon sigil - main or off hand. For example, burning duration on sword, will not increase burning duration on the torch, and that's having them in same hand! If you place burning duration sigil under torch it will increase it and it is directly visible under torch skill description! So that's news to me...Also while at it, I noticed that torment duration for axe skills does not increase, at least not under skill description and I would like GAME MASTER to check this out!

Good night from me! ;)

I find it has superior cleave/aoe dmg than what base mesmer can provide but less aoe control than that of chrono.

That being said i do believe flat dmg of the axe skill 2 could use a power buff as well as crystal shards. The increase in the hit box is noticable and a welcome change but its dmg for landing all 6 is rather lack luster considering if the target move from the exact midle of the skill not all will hit.

Id also opt for a buff to jaunt's power scaling if you dont think of increasing its range. Rn with comm i can crit for 1.6k. 2k i think would be fair considering how small the range and the recharge is..

@Refia Montes.3205 said:So... basically the same thing Condi/Power Chrono can do with Blink and Portal?

Yeah, sacrificing a bit of team play for better dueling.

@Zoser.7245 said:

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Just looking at the trait choices and utilities makes me cringe....

Do not take away his illusion or enthusiasm. Although I doubt that he is using that build in scrims reading what he has written ...

What exactly is making you cringe looking at traits and utility skills? Everything is there to be taking advantage of, not look pretty. Please more constructive feedback, I want to know exactly what and why is it not ok with you.

@zealex.9410 said:I find it has superior cleave/aoe dmg than what base mesmer can provide but less aoe control than that of chrono.

That being said i do believe flat dmg of the axe skill 2 could use a power buff as well as crystal shards. The increase in the hit box is noticable and a welcome change but its dmg for landing all 6 is rather lack luster considering if the target move from the exact midle of the skill not all will hit.

Id also opt for a buff to jaunt's power scaling if you dont think of increasing its range. Rn with comm i can crit for 1.6k. 2k i think would be fair considering how small the range and the recharge is..

Outside from the initial burst jump thanks to the rune, I was mainly jaunting for chasing or running away. It should have been given more range with latest patch thats for sure, as for dmg, you saying that you can make at 16k crit with mirage power build?

Okay, looking firstly at your trait choices.Looking at the Mirage you're taking, Self Deception for clone generation, Distorted Desert for Mirrors with Shatter and Infinite Horizon for sturdier clones and passing ambush. From here we have a contradictory trait choice which is IH and Distorted Desert. Distorted Desert doesn't work well with Infinite Horizon because one focuses on keeping your clones alive to deal damage, and the other one is to explode your clones for mirrors. It would be better if you ran Elusive Mind with Distorted Desert or Infinite Horizon with Mirrored Axes.Moving to your choices in Dueling, you picked Duelist's Discipline for shorter recharge pistol skills and additional bleeding, Fencer's Finesse for CD reduction on Sword Skills and Ferocity and Deceptive Evasion for clone generation. Duelist's Discipline is an okay trait to use when you're using pistol as reduced recharge on Pistol skills is always appreciated. However with the current set up of the build you only have 1 interrupt which is from the Pistol itself which makes this trait not worth taking over Desperate Decoy for survivability and clone generation. It could be alleviated if you would trade Deceptive Evasion with Ineptitude, taking Blinding Dissipation for more confusion and taking Power Lock for daze interrupts/Mirage Advance for shadowstep+confusion. Fencer's Finesse is a garbage trait in PvP, even though it does lower Sword CD for more Blurred Flurries it pales in comparison to Evasive Mirror and Blinding Dissipation. The Ferocity gained from it is negligible as well, as you can't even stack it up to 10 on a normal PvP game since who would even stand in front of a Mesmer autoing them? Deceptive Evasion is fine by itself and works with IH and works well with Sword. I prefer using Ineptitude though for more damage.Moving to Illusions... oh boy.... Phantasmal Haste and Phantasmal Force are no go PvP traits. Phantasms in PvP die in seconds due to the amount of cleave most other classes have (clones do as well but at least you shit a lot of them). Your Phantasms won't be able to stack it to 25 in any PvP game, and Haste is fine just that Phantasms only get to attack once when they're summoned. Just pick other traits please? And Phantasms don't function well with Mirage anyways. Don't rely on your guys too much... The Pledge is an okay trait, specially good with the additional burst you get from using Torch.

With utility choices, Blink is a Mesmer staple so nothing wrong with that. Mantra of Concentration and Midnight Signet are decent picks for utilities. However, I'd recommend Portal over any of the two since the value of the skill is way too much to be ignored. Good Portal plays wins games, either through putting up offensive pressure by leaving a Portal on far to decap frequently, or putting one near home to defend it makes it a very versatile mobility skill. Not to mention that if your allies know when to take your portals also doubles the value of the skill more. Midnight Signet is just decent, but it's not that good, Condi Duration passive is next to useless as Condi Intensity is valued over duration more in PvP since good opponents will pack Condi Clears for it. The active part is fine but you can have Decoy which is a lower CD Invi and it even spawns a clone. Mantra of Concentration is fine but I think Power Lock is better if you're aiming to be a dueling build and Mirage Advance is pretty good with Ineptitude as I said earlier.

In addition, your choices for sigils with condi duration is countered by good condi clear management. It would be better if you would use other sigils like Sigil of Doom for poison which deals damage and acts as a cover condition for your other condis.

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Refia Montes.3205 said:So... basically the same thing Condi/Power Chrono can do with Blink and Portal?

@Zoser.7245 said:

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Just looking at the trait choices and utilities makes me cringe....

Do not take away his illusion or enthusiasm. Although I doubt that he is using that build in scrims reading what he has written ...

What exactly is making you cringe looking at traits and utility skills? Everything is there to be taking advantage of, not look pretty. Please more constructive feedback, I want to know exactly what and why is it not ok with you.

@zealex.9410 said:I find it has superior cleave/aoe dmg than what base mesmer can provide but less aoe control than that of chrono.

Outside from the initial burst jump thanks to the rune, I was mainly jaunting for chasing or running away. It should have been given more range with latest patch thats for sure, as for dmg, you saying that you can make at 16k crit with mirage power build?

1.6k and not pure zerker. But then again idk basically jaunt spawns a clone for free now so idk if more buffs are needed other than range.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Zoser.7245 said:

1.6k and not pure zerker. But then again idk basically jaunt spawns a clone for free now so idk if more buffs are needed other than range.

Yeah, imho Jaunt with no damage and 600 range would be more useful no?

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Okay, looking firstly at your trait choices.Looking at the Mirage you're taking, Self Deception for clone generation, Distorted Desert for Mirrors with Shatter and Infinite Horizon for sturdier clones and passing ambush. From here we have a contradictory trait choice which is IH and Distorted Desert. Distorted Desert doesn't work well with Infinite Horizon because one focuses on keeping your clones alive to deal damage, and the other one is to explode your clones for mirrors. It would be better if you ran Elusive Mind with Distorted Desert or Infinite Horizon with Mirrored Axes.Moving to your choices in Dueling, you picked Duelist's Discipline for shorter recharge pistol skills and additional bleeding, Fencer's Finesse for CD reduction on Sword Skills and Ferocity and Deceptive Evasion for clone generation. Duelist's Discipline is an okay trait to use when you're using pistol as reduced recharge on Pistol skills is always appreciated. However with the current set up of the build you only have 1 interrupt which is from the Pistol itself which makes this trait not worth taking over Desperate Decoy for survivability and clone generation. It could be alleviated if you would trade Deceptive Evasion with Ineptitude, taking Blinding Dissipation for more confusion and taking Power Lock for daze interrupts/Mirage Advance for shadowstep+confusion. Fencer's Finesse is a garbage trait in PvP, even though it does lower Sword CD for more Blurred Flurries it pales in comparison to Evasive Mirror and Blinding Dissipation. The Ferocity gained from it is negligible as well, as you can't even stack it up to 10 on a normal PvP game since who would even stand in front of a Mesmer autoing them? Deceptive Evasion is fine by itself and works with IH and works well with Sword. I prefer using Ineptitude though for more damage.Moving to Illusions... oh boy.... Phantasmal Haste and Phantasmal Force are no go PvP traits. Phantasms in PvP die in seconds due to the amount of cleave most other classes have (clones do as well but at least you kitten a lot of them). Your Phantasms won't be able to stack it to 25 in any PvP game, and Haste is fine just that Phantasms only get to attack once when they're summoned. Just pick other traits please? And Phantasms don't function well with Mirage anyways. Don't rely on your guys too much... The Pledge is an okay trait, specially good with the additional burst you get from using Torch.

With utility choices, Blink is a Mesmer staple so nothing wrong with that. Mantra of Concentration and Midnight Signet are decent picks for utilities. However, I'd recommend Portal over any of the two since the value of the skill is way too much to be ignored. Good Portal plays wins games, either through putting up offensive pressure by leaving a Portal on far to decap frequently, or putting one near home to defend it makes it a very versatile mobility skill. Not to mention that if your allies know when to take your portals also doubles the value of the skill more. Midnight Signet is just decent, but it's not that good, Condi Duration passive is next to useless as Condi Intensity is valued over duration more in PvP since good opponents will pack Condi Clears for it. The active part is fine but you can have Decoy which is a lower CD Invi and it even spawns a clone. Mantra of Concentration is fine but I think Power Lock is better if you're aiming to be a dueling build and Mirage Advance is pretty good with Ineptitude as I said earlier.

In addition, your choices for sigils with condi duration is countered by good condi clear management. It would be better if you would use other sigils like Sigil of Doom for poison which deals damage and acts as a cover condition for your other condis.

Regarding Distorted Desert, I took it as a safety measure. I found myself being able to have at least 2 clones up most of the time, so shattering with blur is a good panic button for few sec blur + mirrors for extra evades. Also the F4 shatter now additionally provides you with ambush skill, from my point of view usable when need to jump away with the sword. Signet of midnight and blink provide all the stun break you would need imho.

Since I'm runing with over 50% crit chance, the duelist discipline is imho more valuable than desperate decoy, you have too much clone generation to use that as a clone generating skill, and stealth is covered by torch, but for escape I already said that blink, jaunt and sword jumps is the way to go. Fencer finesse could by all means be swapped with evasive mirrors, I ran it like that for few matches, tho I can't decide if its more useful over 20% cd, also finesse gives a group boon so few stacks here and there in fights is just a bonus. Blinding dissipation is a no go as I did not create a shatter build. Only shatter I use is F4 as panic button, rest is could be spammed for vigor or niche use, like F3 interrupt when finishing players. Since mirage is all about clones, if find deceptive evasion as a must. Ineptitude sounds fun, but, as you said this build does not have many interrupts so, not worth it over de no?

I found illusions trait line better over others because two things, the pledge and illusionists celerity. Since I'm not using shatters or scepter, I have nothing else to choose as phantasmal haste and force. Besides, it does compliment my opening move and in case someone is ignoring our phantasm, well, he will feel that pain. Would you choose any other trait line beside illusions? Tell me which one and why, I'm interested in hearing more options.

Regarding utility, as you said, blink is a must have. I could swap signet in favour of portal, totally legit swap. From observing pvp matches for few years, I could argue that most frustrating and most occurring problem is, when people won't or are unable to finish or ress downed people, and that is imho the biggest table turn in matches, so mantra of concentration to be very useful. With the recent update, I'm actually interested in mirrored images, since it now breaks enemy targeting with addition to 2 clones. This build still has some other tricks for safe stomps outside of mantra but not as often. Whats your opinion on new effect?

You are correct, condi intensity > condi duration. But how exactly do I achieve that? I could go for poision/endurance regen on swap for both weapon sets, that way we cut enemy healing and condi clearing capabilities, while gaining endurance for our ambush skills and dodges.

EDIT: What about runes, which ones are you considering. Scavenging for more condi dmg, nightmare for less condi dmg but also duration, krait for less condi dmg but few conditions including poison on ultimate skill cast on 45s cd and finally, what interests me the most, rune of lynx. It has even less condi dmg, but it gives some power and 25% passive running speed, which we lost switching from chrono!

He's definitely wrong about infinite horizon. You don't focus on keeping your clones alive with infinite horizon in pvp. You generate 3 near instantly and use them as another form of burst that happens whenever you dodge. Your clone generation is so high with self deception, deceptive evasion, and Jaunt that you don't have to worry about keeping them alive.

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Okay, looking firstly at your trait choices.Looking at the Mirage you're taking, Self Deception for clone generation, Distorted Desert for Mirrors with Shatter and Infinite Horizon for sturdier clones and passing ambush. From here we have a contradictory trait choice which is IH and Distorted Desert. Distorted Desert doesn't work well with Infinite Horizon because one focuses on keeping your clones alive to deal damage, and the other one is to explode your clones for mirrors. It would be better if you ran Elusive Mind with Distorted Desert or Infinite Horizon with Mirrored Axes.Moving to your choices in Dueling, you picked Duelist's Discipline for shorter recharge pistol skills and additional bleeding, Fencer's Finesse for CD reduction on Sword Skills and Ferocity and Deceptive Evasion for clone generation. Duelist's Discipline is an okay trait to use when you're using pistol as reduced recharge on Pistol skills is always appreciated. However with the current set up of the build you only have 1 interrupt which is from the Pistol itself which makes this trait not worth taking over Desperate Decoy for survivability and clone generation. It could be alleviated if you would trade Deceptive Evasion with Ineptitude, taking Blinding Dissipation for more confusion and taking Power Lock for daze interrupts/Mirage Advance for shadowstep+confusion. Fencer's Finesse is a garbage trait in PvP, even though it does lower Sword CD for more Blurred Flurries it pales in comparison to Evasive Mirror and Blinding Dissipation. The Ferocity gained from it is negligible as well, as you can't even stack it up to 10 on a normal PvP game since who would even stand in front of a Mesmer autoing them? Deceptive Evasion is fine by itself and works with IH and works well with Sword. I prefer using Ineptitude though for more damage.Moving to Illusions... oh boy.... Phantasmal Haste and Phantasmal Force are no go PvP traits. Phantasms in PvP die in seconds due to the amount of cleave most other classes have (clones do as well but at least you kitten a lot of them). Your Phantasms won't be able to stack it to 25 in any PvP game, and Haste is fine just that Phantasms only get to attack once when they're summoned. Just pick other traits please? And Phantasms don't function well with Mirage anyways. Don't rely on your guys too much... The Pledge is an okay trait, specially good with the additional burst you get from using Torch.

Regarding Distorted Desert, I took it as a safety measure. I found myself being able to have at least 2 clones up most of the time, so shattering with blur is a good panic button for few sec blur + mirrors for extra evades. Also the F4 shatter now additionally provides you with ambush skill, from my point of view usable when need to jump away with the sword. Signet of midnight and blink provide all the stun break you would need imho.

Since I'm runing with over 50% crit chance, the duelist discipline is imho more valuable than desperate decoy, you have too much clone generation to use that as a clone generating skill, and stealth is covered by torch, but for escape I already said that blink, jaunt and sword jumps is the way to go. Fencer finesse could by all means be swapped with evasive mirrors, I ran it like that for few matches, tho I can't decide if its more useful over 20% cd, also finesse gives a group boon so few stacks here and there in fights is just a bonus. Blinding dissipation is a no go as I did not create a shatter build. Only shatter I use is F4 as panic button, rest is could be spammed for vigor or niche use, like F3 interrupt when finishing players. Since mirage is all about clones, if find deceptive evasion as a must. Ineptitude sounds fun, but, as you said this build does not have many interrupts so, not worth it over de no?

I found illusions trait line better over others because two things, the pledge and illusionists celerity. Since I'm not using shatters or scepter, I have nothing else to choose as phantasmal haste and force. Besides, it does compliment my opening move and in case someone is ignoring our phantasm, well, he will feel that pain. Would you choose any other trait line beside illusions? Tell me which one and why, I'm interested in hearing more options.

Regarding utility, as you said, blink is a must have. I could swap signet in favour of portal, totally legit swap. From observing pvp matches for few years, I could argue that most frustrating and most occurring problem is, when people won't or are unable to finish or ress downed people, and that is imho the biggest table turn in matches, so mantra of concentration to be very useful. With the recent update, I'm actually interested in mirrored images, since it now breaks enemy targeting with addition to 2 clones. This build still has some other tricks for safe stomps outside of mantra but not as often. Whats your opinion on new effect?

You are correct, condi intensity > condi duration. But how exactly do I achieve that? I could go for poision/endurance regen on swap for both weapon sets, that way we cut enemy healing and condi clearing capabilities, while gaining endurance for our ambush skills and dodges.

actually sowrd ambush is kinda good for interrupting, sure it has its 0,75 second cast time, but my feeling says this cast time aplies to the full distance, meaning in meele it's faster(?). Right now I'm using superior sigil of draining + energy on sowrd pistol, and energy + poison on swap on the other Hand. Draining has insane potential, since it has no ICD and is a 1k heal on every interrupt (and 1k dmg too, unreduced by targets armor)

You're already running Deceptive Evasion, Self Deception and even using Illusions line for more clone generation than ever. I suggest dropping your Phantasm skills since they don't do much, change them to the shatter traits, and change your play style to shattering more often. With these many Illusion generation you even don't need to worry about running low on clones. It's really a confused messed just because of the Phantasm traits really. I actually can see how IH can help out even with Distorted Desert since you have lots of Clone generation that it doesn't matter if you shatter as atlasthugged mentioned. As for runes, most condition runes work, as long as it works.

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@Weerus.3701 said:

actually sowrd ambush is kinda good for interrupting, sure it has its 0,75 second cast time, but my feeling says this cast time aplies to the full distance, meaning in meele it's faster(?). Right now I'm using superior sigil of draining + energy on sowrd pistol, and energy + poison on swap on the other Hand. Draining has insane potential, since it has no ICD and is a 1k heal on every interrupt (and 1k dmg too, unreduced by targets armor)

Sigil of draining doesn't exist in spvp :P

@Weerus.3701 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@Weerus.3701 said:

Sigil of draining doesn't exist in spvp :P

Whoops my bad, u were talking about sPvP. Somehow im always referring to WvW in general player vs player enviroment.

Archived