QoL Improvements from an Expert Ranger

shadowpass.4236

We've received some pretty decent core ranger changes in the past few updates, but there are still some things that could be improved to give rangers a better standing in places like WvW when playing in a squad. As a ranger main since release and a very experienced PvPer, here are several of my suggestions for improving the class:

1. Reduce the cooldown on Warhorn 5, Call of the Wild, to 16 or 20 seconds and reduce the boon durations by the same ratio.
  2. Give us an option to control what skills the pet use and a bar that tells us the cooldowns, boons, and conditions the pet currently has on it.
    • f1 should be attack/return
    • f2 through f5 should be pet swap and the other 3 skills
  3. Maul becomes a blast finisher.
  4. Greatsword 4 blocks for the entire duration. When someone hits you, gain the ability to counterattack, similar to a Daredevil's Bandit's Defense.
  5. Greatsword 5 can be cast while moving, instead of stopping while the animation plays. Increase the target cap to 3.
  6. Offhand Axe 5, Whirling Defense, can be cast while moving as well.
  7. MH Dagger 3 needs to evade.
  8. MH Dagger 2 becomes a whirl finisher or reflects projectiles while casting, similar to a Scrapper's Hammer.

Call of the Wild - The only change I'd like to see would be to normalise the traited regen to last the same as the other boons - but any buff is welcome

Pet UI - From a technical standpoint I don't see this happening - also using F5 as a pet control skill you'll need a new F6 for CAF and BM

Maul - Either that or bring back double leap on Swoop. In all cases, maul as blast finisher would bring the skill in line with Guardian's Mighty Blow (blast on 5s CD)

Counter Attack - Problem with that is that we'd lose the flip skill once hit

Hilt Bash - I'm fine with the movement interruption but it needs to be cast faster

Whirling Axe - Either move when casting or apply stability when casting (and keep rooted)

Insrinctive Engage - I'd hope not for an evade, but a 1s daze to synergize with Soulbeast minor

Double Arc - That one I want reworked with an evade - change the animation to daredevil's Weakening Charge (a spin, like double arcs) making it an evade during the spin - and make it WHIRL FINISHER

I approve of pretty much all of these changes (indifferent towards point #1). I would also like to see Greatsword 2 and 5 changed up a bit so that the abilities make more sense. Having Maul boost the damage of the next Greatsword ability used sounds amazing in theory but is completely useless because Maul is literally the only damage ability on the weapon. Similarly, Hit Bash resetting the cooldown on Maul isn't very useful because the cooldown is already so low. Here's what I propose in addition to your ideas:

1. While casting Maul, the player takes 50% less damage (or maybe just gains protection for 2 seconds). Maul no longer grants Attack of Opportunity
  2. Hilt Bash no longer has to hit from behind or the side to stun. If Hilt Bash connects with a target, it boosts the damage of the next Greatsword ability used by +100% (this would supply a lot of burst damage but actually result in less overall damage due to Hilt Bash's cooldown time). Hilt Bash no longer resets the cooldown on Maul
  3. Crippling Blow is renamed Weakening Blow and inflicts 5 seconds of weakness instead of cripple (maybe lose the knockback as well?). Weakening Blow can only be activated after successfully blocking an attack (instead of as a way to cancel the Counterattack ability)
  4. Swoop's evasion lasts 1 second instead of 1/2 of a second (which is still only around half of the ability's cast time)

Those changes would make the Greatsword a much better defensive weapon, while still allowing DPS players to switch to it in order to get a very hard-hitting Maul off before switching back to their main weapon of choice.

I like the current CD on Maul and if they made it a blast finisher you know that CD would be nerfed into oblivion. I'd say just buff the damage multipliers on it and quit reverting it. Who is honestly complaining about Maul's damage that it keeps getting messed with?

It's literally our only real power burst in melee, unless you count Whirling Defense in PvE. Because you're not hitting any PC with that. Dodge when you see the giant spirit bear, jeeze. :angry:

Other then that, good changes. :+1:

Archived