Rifle damage feels really good. Ty anet.

Anthony.3207

I think rifle got buffed hard. Maybe it's coefficents went up I think.

In kinght gear I do pretty good damage but in maurader or berserker gear I completely destroy people.

Been doing 1.5k auto crits and 8k damage from blunderbuss jump shot and grenade barrage (each separately). I can do 24k damage in 3 lucky crits. I am wrecking people in wvw and spvp as well outdoor questing.

Did they secretly buff how much scaling rifle gets from offense stats ? Feels really fucking good.

Of course I only play a few builds and most engineer traits and utility slots need an improvement.

I do -

Rifle / grenade kit / elixir s / tool kit or elixir gun for more team support or tool kit for more selfish damage carry.

I use elixir x and I use it 1v1 to decimate people.

I use berserker gear or maruader gear / amulets and I can just ex burst a Necro mesmer or another spec that tries to dance with me.

I use grenade kit to deal splash aoe damage against multiple players and rifle damage to kite melee and 1v1 as well as stealth and tool belt barrage and tool belt wrench toss boomerang for extra damage.

For traits I use explosives alchemy and inventions although sometimes I go fire arms explosives scrapper for spvp and just try to outplay enemies.

I stole this build from chaithh but even then - I think rifle got it's power coefficents buffed or something. It's autos and skill damage hurts. We have a viable spec in competitive pvp / viable weapon.

Nothing was changed for rifle recently. I'm so confused.

@"Oriens.5630" said:I'd really love to see a dual Pistol boost for Engi's.

Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen. Dual pistols for engineer need a lot of work to be brought up to the current powercreep, especially if they're being buffed to be viable in PvP. These are my recommendations:

• Frag shot should pierce targets (I miss that old trait), and be considered an explosion. Additionally, it shouldn't have lower damage than every other auto out there, and should actually fire at its stated activation time (1/2 a second) instead of its current activation time (0.8275 seconds)
  • Poison dart volley should pierce targets and should not have ANY randomness as to where the projectiles are going. This is utterly ridiculous in this age of powercreep. It should have a shorter cast time as well.
  • Static shot should probably be unblockable, add an extra bounce, and apply torment as well.
  • Blowtorch is one of the most "ok" pistol skills out there. It probably needs a buff in terms of condi application, but it's the closest to alright. Maybe add a blind to it.
  • Glue shot needs to apply slow as well as cripple.

• 2 weeks later...

Well when everybody is using DPS statlines my 1500 rifle autos take 20% of their health at range. And blunder buss jumpshot grenade barrage hit for 80% of their health.

Ironically guards I cannot kill neither noobs with soldier armor. But everybody in wvw uses squishy DPS gear and they have no health. Feels freaking good man.

In wvw it's all damage gear maybe some health and boons.

Rifle feels pretty sweet right now. Glad it scales good with armor stats.

Rifle damage is still pretty bad. Just compare it to .. say Long Range Shot (347, 0.9) or Puncture Shot (327, 0.85, bounces once).

Then you've got Engi Rifle over here with .. (274, 0.65) damage. That's terrible. For the same cast time and range, you're getting far less damage than Ranger or DH.

That's why in WvW, you might get a 3K hip shot on a squishy Soulbeast, but they'll turn around and Long Range Shot you for 7.5k back.

I will say I appreciate the damage on Net Shot more than I thought I would. It's an instant attack so you're not wasting any time casting it, so it's "free" damage. It almost makes up for the fact that it's a pitifully short immob and immob is near-meaningless as most classes will cleanse it instantly or break it with a trait.

@"coro.3176" said:Rifle damage is still pretty bad. Just compare it to .. say Long Range Shot (347, 0.9) or Puncture Shot (327, 0.85, bounces once).

Then you've got Engi Rifle over here with .. (274, 0.65) damage. That's terrible. For the same cast time and range, you're getting far less damage than Ranger or DH.

That's why in WvW, you might get a 3K hip shot on a squishy Soulbeast, but they'll turn around and Long Range Shot you for 7.5k back.

I will say I appreciate the damage on Net Shot more than I thought I would. It's an instant attack so you're not wasting any time casting it, so it's "free" damage. It almost makes up for the fact that it's a pitifully short immob and immob is near-meaningless as most classes will cleanse it instantly or break it with a trait.

dont compare numbers without power-scaling, because almost each weapon/skill got a different scaling. and thus the outcome can be a lot different from the base dmg.in this particular case however ... i fear ... nothings gonna change. rifle will be the bottom of the comparison :D

@Aetatis.5418 said:

@"coro.3176" said:Rifle damage is still pretty bad. Just compare it to .. say Long Range Shot (347, 0.9) or Puncture Shot (327, 0.85, bounces once).

dont compare numbers without power-scaling, because almost each weapon/skill got a different scaling. and thus the outcome can be a lot different from the base dmg.in this particular case however ... i fear ... nothings gonna change. rifle will be the bottom of the comparison :D

Those numbers between brackets are the scalings you are talking about. Rifle has a worse scaling than both Puncture Shot and Long Range Shot.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:

Those numbers between brackets are the scalings you are talking about. Rifle has a worse scaling than both Puncture Shot and Long Range Shot.

doh... didnt see it. shame on me <.<

A big missing piece of the puzzle here is that weapon speeds and aftercasts hugely influence DPS. Some professions inherently have better modifiers and might stacking. Some professions auto attack much less while at range, list goes on.

Comparing autos cross profession is useless, sadly

@Vagrant.7206 said:

• Static shot should probably be unblockable, add an extra bounce, and apply torment as well.Can we not add any more unique conditions to builds? P/p engi already has access to bleeding, confusion, poison, burning, blind, and immobilize, with potential access to cripple and vulnerability from traits and sigils. That is more than sufficient access to both cover conditions and damage conditions, p/p engi doesn't need torment on top of that. Curses Scourge was bad enough with it's 3-5 cover conditions, we don't need more of that. If you want Static Shot to do more damage than just increase it's confusion stacks.

I think condition engineer is still very strong in wvw but in spvp I do think they got destroyed badly.

My play with conditions has always been dire gear. Duration is not important but damage is.

It's worst to stack 4 or 5 condis as a p/p engineer because they is 1 cleanse on 4 of your skills and pistol skills have high coldowns.

Also maybe this is just me but pistol condis do good damage with dire gear but scourge spam condis that (whittle you down).

I am my scrapper in wvw and spvp I find tanking condis is easy compared to power burst damage. As power is meta.

Even in wvw or spvp marauder doesn't feel squishy versus condis.

I honestly think engineer condis do more damage and are applied in small doses compared to scourge who applies 5 or 6 condis 3 which don't do damage and burn torment and posion which do sustain damage.

I am fairly casual so I am not pro but that has been my pvp experience.

@Crinn.7864 said:

• Static shot should probably be unblockable, add an extra bounce, and apply torment as well.Can we not add any more unique conditions to builds? P/p engi already has access to bleeding, confusion, poison, burning, blind, and immobilize, with potential access to cripple and vulnerability from traits and sigils. That is more than sufficient access to both cover conditions and damage conditions, p/p engi doesn't need torment on top of that. Curses Scourge was bad enough with it's 3-5 cover conditions, we don't need more of that. If you want Static Shot to do more damage than just increase it's confusion stacks.

lol, more confusion. Ok, let's throw more of that borked condition on, why not.

@Crinn.7864 said:

Pistol is not adequately applying cover conditions.

It indeed has a wide variety but requires you to put in high time investments to channel the #1 & #2 skills in order to maintain short poison/bleed. The immob and blind last very quickly too. The burn is the condition you're trying to cover. Access to vuln/cripple requires you to invest in both Explosives and Firearms, and grenades, in a condi build.

Condi Engi in PvP is bad because of the massive investment compared to power, just to be able to cover your nerfed burns.

@"Anthony.3207" said:I think condition engineer is still very strong in wvw but in spvp I do think they got destroyed badly.

My play with conditions has always been dire gear. Duration is not important but damage is.

It's worst to stack 4 or 5 condis as a p/p engineer because they is 1 cleanse on 4 of your skills and pistol skills have high coldowns.

Also maybe this is just me but pistol condis do good damage with dire gear but scourge spam condis that (whittle you down).

I am my scrapper in wvw and spvp I find tanking condis is easy compared to power burst damage. As power is meta.

Even in wvw or spvp marauder doesn't feel squishy versus condis.

I honestly think engineer condis do more damage and are applied in small doses compared to scourge who applies 5 or 6 condis 3 which don't do damage and burn torment and posion which do sustain damage.

I am fairly casual so I am not pro but that has been my pvp experience.

I don't agree, condi engi is bad in wvw as well.I tried running a tanky-ish setup (courtesy of optimus prime armor) with 3k armor, over 20k health and 2k condi (corruption stacks) along with, if im not mistaken 30% condi duration (excluding passives for bleed/burn duration increase). It sort of worked for 1v1s, but i was still getting hit pretty hard by power builds which, among other things, made me question validity of stacking armor. In 1vX it wasn't nearly effective.The build on it's own seems fine on paper http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalUUhSuY9VwvLQ+FLsFF4HWiBg4GNFPxYbMG1GA-jVyCQBZRZGWUaAgTAAyeAAQb/h6pDogq/oHtAjRJIpAWUZF-wbut in practice it's sorely lacking.Scourges/Mirages, especially condi Mirages will walk all over you with stealth, blinds, confusion, torment while still having mobility and as a added insult to injury a lot of Mirages seem to be running evasive mirror which reflects pistol shots.Soulbeasts have enough condition clear and mobility to kite you. + Protection reduces condi damage on them by 33%, which they get by dodging + Moa stance.Spellbreakers will either copy condis on you or get absurd amounts of resistance while having godlike mobility and damage making that 3k armor feel non-existent.Holos are susceptible if you land a good burn burst and they fail to cleanse it via healing turret.Thieves will either cleanse with signet of agility or Shadowstep-shadowreturn and do a lot of damage. Good thieves will focus on keeping you perma-blinded. S/d has enough condi cleanse thanks to infiltrators strike/return.Bursty eles will block your projectiles and kite, but fights with them can go either way.When i came across condi engis in wvw with my Holo i just pressure them with damage and they usually fall or start running away.That's my experience with wvw condi engis anyways.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:

Pistol is not adequately applying cover conditions.

It indeed has a wide variety but requires you to put in high time investments to channel the #1 & #2 skills in order to maintain short poison/bleed. The immob and blind last very quickly too. The burn is the condition you're trying to cover. Access to vuln/cripple requires you to invest in both Explosives and Firearms, and grenades, in a condi build.

Condi Engi in PvP is bad because of the massive investment compared to power, just to be able to cover your nerfed burns.

Vuln does not require any traitline.

Condi engi's burn isn't any more difficult to cover than the primary conditions of other builds, particularly since the application order puts the burning at the bottom of the stack. Moreover condi engi still has better condition variety than most condi builds, only being surpassed by venom thief and necro (and it's debatable with necro given that demise of curses scourge.)

Condi engi's problems do not stem from a lack of cover conditions, and come more from a staying alive problem.

@"Crinn.7864" said:Vuln does not require any traitline.Condi engi's problems do not stem from a lack of cover conditions, and come more from a staying alive problem.

Oh we're counting obscurely used sigils over better ones when looking at a professions condi variety, not what I would chose to do..

Condi Engi's problems are more numerous than that as well, Condi Engi lacks condition damage too. The damaging conditions are more infrequent, harder to apply, and tick weaker than better condi build. Thief, Necro, Mesmer, Guard, these professions will instant-kill burst you without clears available. Condi Engi will have 4 burns on the instant burst, down from 8. It's no longer something you are scared of, even if you have to eat it for the 4 seconds you'd normally be ruined by a condi burst.

That's because of condi nerf patch, very much a problem that has nothing to do with condi covering. Adding torment is also adding more throughput which I'm not opposed to, unlike you. I still feel Engi condition variety in a pure condi build without nades is bad.

Yea condition damage is not too great. I think chaithh said it clear - we are in a power meta with the conditions nerfs and scourge is the most efficient condition user in the game for pvp

Engineer does sustain damage with condis but burst is King.

Burns from engineer used to be scary but not so much anymore.

@Anthony.3207 said:I think condition engineer is still very strong in wvw but in spvp I do think they got destroyed badly.

It's not. For the amount of effort you have to put in to pressure/kill someone, you could just run holo and destroy them and everyone around them in seconds... and I'm talking about roaming here. Once you get into a larger/zerg fight, condi engi is worse than useless. It needs to get close to deal its damage, but it doesn't have the close-range survivability for being in melee range. Even if you do land your condis, they'll be cleansed instantly. It's so, so, so much worse than scourge at its job that it's not even worth considering.

They would do okay damage (not anywhere near 'good') except that everyone runs enough condi cleanse to survive Scourge + Mesmer, which is way more than enough to deal with Engi's fewer/longer lasting condi.

IMO, condi builds ought to be reworked across the board to somewhat scale off precision (eg. heavily rely on crit procs to apply condi) so that people can't just rely on dire gear, but that's another discussion.

Archived