We have the best community <3

gert.7698

it has happened several times that I had to kill a bounty for an achievement. I couldn’t find any groups via lfg, but every time when I asked for help in the map chat, people came to help me. Even in the morning when the map is almost empty, there are still 2, 3,.. people coming to help me. Thank you so much for that.The players in this game are so nice, friendly and helpful! I love the fantasic community very much. this is why I play this game since beta <3 <3 <3

@gert.7698 said:it has happened several times that I had to kill a bounty for an achievement. I couldn’t find any groups via lfg, but every time when I asked for help in the map chat, people came to help me. Even in the morning when the map is almost empty, there are still 2, 3,.. people coming to help me. Thank you so much for that.The players in this game are so nice, friendly and helpful! I love the fantasic community very much. this is why I play this game since beta <3 <3 <3

People in game are awesome, but the forums are very toxic imo.

Indeed. This game also teaches a grumpy, solo Asura sniper a lesson here and there.Had a female Charr downed and I ran past, did not mind that feline on the roadside in the desert.Later I have been downed too and guess what happened: The same cat flew there on her Griffon, probably because of the downed player icon on the map, and did some CPR. Since that moment in which I literally facepalmed in shame in front of my PC, I ressurect and often protect AFK players, especially Charr..

@"Zedek.8932" said:Indeed. This game also teaches a grumpy, solo Asura sniper a lesson here and there.Had a female Charr downed and I ran past, did not mind that feline on the roadside in the desert.Later I have been downed too and guess what happened: The same cat flew there on her Griffon, probably because of the downed player icon on the map, and did some CPR. Since that moment in which I literally facepalmed in shame in front of my PC, I ressurect and often protect AFK players, especially Charr..

"The Asura's small heart grew three sizes that day... which put an incredible strain on it but thanks to modern Asuran medical technology he was quickly on the mend"

I tend to disagree. The feeling that GW2 has an overly friendly community is quite artificial since large parts of the game are designed to avoid any kind of conflict between players. If you get into more multiplayer-focused content like raids or high-tier-fractals, you'll see quite early that the GW2-community or at least parts of it can be utterly toxic just like in every other MMORPG which focuses on multiplayer-activities.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Personally I thought that City of Heroes had a better community, but we all know what happened there.

I had a different experience of CoH, but I did not join until the architect edition. Perhaps it was better prior to that?

Architecht Edition did mess things up there for a few months. For about three-six months it became all about crappy fan-made farms in AE.It settled down again a few months later.

@Raizel.8175 said:I tend to disagree. The feeling that GW2 has an overly friendly community is quite artificial since large parts of the game are designed to avoid any kind of conflict between players. If you get into more multiplayer-focused content like raids or high-tier-fractals, you'll see quite early that the GW2-community or at least parts of it can be utterly toxic just like in every other MMORPG which focuses on multiplayer-activities.

In fairness that is higher level content and you can expect a lot of the more tryhard people to be there. There are a myriad of other helpful people out though from mesmers who stay at jumping puzzles just to help people (multiple guilds for this in fact), people running across the map just to assist you with an event you can't solo, mentors that stay in starting zones to help out new players, even the folks who give a quick /cheer or congratz whenever someone links a new legendary weapon they just made in chat that they're proud of. Every community has some less than accommodating people, but GW2 does a very good job of minimizing that and the community as a whole tries to keep it up. No ones saying that every person in the community is great and wonderful, but the gamers present here for the most part are a pretty nice bunch and I think that's something worth celebrating.

• ArenaNet Staff

@gert.7698 said:it has happened several times that I had to kill a bounty for an achievement. I couldn’t find any groups via lfg, but every time when I asked for help in the map chat, people came to help me. Even in the morning when the map is almost empty, there are still 2, 3,.. people coming to help me. Thank you so much for that.The players in this game are so nice, friendly and helpful! I love the fantasic community very much. this is why I play this game since beta <3 <3 <3

That's a great thing to hear. Seriously, thank you for posting. <3

@"Raizel.8175" said:I tend to disagree. The feeling that GW2 has an overly friendly community is quite artificial since large parts of the game are designed to avoid any kind of conflict between players. If you get into more multiplayer-focused content like raids or high-tier-fractals, you'll see quite early that the GW2-community or at least parts of it can be utterly toxic just like in every other MMORPG which focuses on multiplayer-activities.

I agree with this. I've taken time to reflect on gw2 as a whole and I came to realise that this game seems to be more (if not completely) tailored to casual players. Outside of WvW/PvP/Raids/some meta events, there is no way to actually fail (nowadays with power creep you'd have to be a literal potato to fail dungeons). In gw1 you could fail a multitude of things in varying ways. Restarting quests/vqs/challenges was a common occurrence and people needed to know what to do, and what was happening, but not so much in gw2.

I think the fact that the game is so easy (outside of the exclusions above) gives players an unrealistic scale of how friendly the community is. I did SE the other day with pugs. 3 of them were fantastic, but there was one obnoxious pug who did nigh on everything incorrectly, then blamed the rest of the party for his problems. This happens a lot in Fractal pugs and PvP too.

Please note I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.

TL;DR the game is tailored to be easy with no tension, and once tension is introduced the "best community" veil falls, where you meet some nasty people.

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's probably why I like SAB trib so much. That's one area of the game you actually can fail, and you don't have to rely on other people, just your own skill.

There are still players who kick you from the party for some reason, without a word, like when you join a request of help in LFG. Maybe you already completed that achievement/story and you forgot to remove the ad, but still it would be polite to reply at least to your "hi!", before kicking.But yeah, overall the game is tailored for a relaxed PvE experience, thus people help each other. Everyone feels better this way.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@"Raizel.8175" said:I tend to disagree. The feeling that GW2 has an overly friendly community is quite artificial since large parts of the game are designed to avoid any kind of conflict between players. If you get into more multiplayer-focused content like raids or high-tier-fractals, you'll see quite early that the GW2-community or at least parts of it can be utterly toxic just like in every other MMORPG which focuses on multiplayer-activities.

I agree with this. I've taken time to reflect on gw2 as a whole and I came to realise that this game seems to be more (if not completely) tailored to casual players. Outside of WvW/PvP/Raids/
some
meta events, there is no way to actually fail (nowadays with power creep you'd have to be a literal potato to fail dungeons). In gw1 you could fail a multitude of things in varying ways. Restarting quests/vqs/challenges was a common occurrence and people needed to know what to do, and what was happening, but not so much in gw2.

I think the fact that the game is so easy (outside of the exclusions above) gives players an unrealistic scale of how friendly the community is. I did SE the other day with pugs. 3 of them were fantastic, but there was one obnoxious pug who did nigh on everything incorrectly, then blamed the rest of the party for his problems. This happens a lot in Fractal pugs and PvP too.

Please note I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.

TL;DR the game is tailored to be easy with no tension, and once tension is introduced the "best community" veil falls, where you meet some nasty people.

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's probably why I like SAB trib so much. That's one area of the game you actually
can
fail, and you don't have to rely on other people, just your own skill.

While PVE content is indeed quite easy, I think its the game design itself which allows for a helpful community itself; the way experience and loot is shared, how nodes are personal and mostly how open world event work. If you have a goal (collection, achievement, hero point, mastery) the game systems makes getting help and helping others very easy, if not outright benefitial for all parties. I (unlike you) think that this is the actual core of the GW2 community; one that using game systems that promote cooperation have fostered an extremely pleasant experience for people in PVE open world.

Other game modes are more competitive and will (obviously) result in more situations that can lead to finger pointing and playing the blame game. That said, I think the PVE mentality has bled over to other game modes. You can see it constantly in WvW with people reviving each other (it sucks to walk back), building siege and repairing walls together. You see it in fractals all the time as well, people teaching others the mechanics of certain fractals (especially in lower tiers). The game systems just make you want others to do well because its to your benefit if they do.

That said, toxic people do exist and they tend to be extremely vocal, which is why you notice them more. Even in PVP out of the 10 players involved most people dont bother with the salt fest. Its usually just one or two people who engage in this stuff every few matches. But because its drama, its a lot more memorable than matches that go off without a hitch.

Archived