SAB race is the most unfun thing I've had the displeasure of experiencing in years. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

SAB race is the most unfun thing I've had the displeasure of experiencing in years.

One fall or slip and you might as well not finish it because you're not doing it in time for the Achieve.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

<1

Comments

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

Try starting the race in beedog form. ;) It's slower and more figetty, but you literally can't fail.

• Then don’t fall or slip!

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

It does not even award any AP, this should easily give 20 AP considering the difficulty

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's definitely the most difficult race I've done so far. It took me I think six tries to finally shave it down to under 5 minutes.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• @Ardenwolfe.8590 said:
    I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it,

Most of the biggest fans of SAB are used to unforgiving mechanics (or at least, mechanics that often behave differently from expected). It's not that SAB fans won't complain; they just tend to reserve their ire for the lack of Mounts or imagining that W3-4 are going to happen this decade.

And of course, the majority of players spend very little time in SAB (as evidence by stats on GW2 Efficiency); they aren't likely to complain about something they haven't tried.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

I tried it a few times but ultimately decided that it wasn’t worth the effort. I even tried it from the start as the beedog and found it to be no better; especially because of the controls.

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

The only thing i have to complain about in the race is the beedog section and the swiftness boost. Them being on half-spaces on the z axis makes it so you have to raise or fall through them.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

For me, the first half of the race is fine. It's the part with the beedog that infuriates me.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Ohoni.6057Ohoni.6057 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's that awful, but I do have some issues with it (particularly the achievement). I don't take issue with a long race, so long as you have plenty of room for error, and I don't have problems with an unforgiving race, so long as it's short and you can restart it easily, but I do have some issues with a very long and complex race involving hundreds of complex inputs that you can seriously screw up with a bad jump in the middle. One or the other, not both.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah I honestly kind of hated the race. I did it once and probably won't bother again.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Akkebi | Akkebyyon | Alister Kebi | Akkebi Revi | Occultist Lulu | Shadow Stalker Lulu | Daddy Horrik | Glittermancer | The Mewcifer
    Max Masteries | 15.5k AP

• I didn't have trouble with this one. It was cool to have a race that didn't use mounts for once, and the flying part was something I had not seen before either. It might have helped that I knew how to do the cave part reliably though. (I think they made it even easier from last year).

• Dukotje.4382Dukotje.4382 Member ✭✭

Try tribulation mode! then you'll know unforgiving... sadly they made traps you die to visible now :<

• Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭

i got the achieve on my first try.. are you sure the game is to blame here?

• Urud.4925Urud.4925 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

It is annoying to lose the race for a single mistake, true. But a new race starts after few minutes.
    Think about the Master of Baubles achievement for world 2 zone 3 instead. I wasted 9 hours yesterday (not playing it continuously, with several breaks) and at the end, I missed at least one bauble. I had no idea where. And I couldn't come back to the very beginning of the world, to recheck everything.
    I wasted the whole day... Now that's what I call the most unfun thing/experience.
    "Feel My Wrath, Please!" (one of the best skill change)

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Most of the biggest fans of SAB are used to unforgiving mechanics (or at least, mechanics that often behave differently from expected). It's not that SAB fans won't complain; they just tend to reserve their ire for the lack of Mounts or imagining that W3-4 are going to happen this decade.

And of course, the majority of players spend very little time in SAB (as evidence by stats on GW2 Efficiency); they aren't likely to complain about something they haven't tried.

Haven't used Gw2Eff for this, where are you seeing this if you get a second? Love the site, provides a lot of handy data points, let alone for the quick account search for missing items.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/CU/AoC

• Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭

I just don't do achieves that are difficult to me.

I've tried this race twice. I couldn't even finish it in the allotted time, nevermind in 5 minutes.

I don't think I'll be trying again.it's too unforgiving but some people like that.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

I dunno, the sinus surgery I had last year was much worse. ;)

• Scud.5067Scud.5067 Member ✭✭✭

Its not rocket surgery but its also not fun. Pretty poor effort, all said and done.

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Haven't used Gw2Eff for this, where are you seeing this if you get a second? Love the site, provides a lot of handy data points, let alone for the quick account search for missing items.

Click on "Stats" then go to "Unlock Statistics". You can then view achievements to see what percent of GW2Efficiency users have unlocked a given achievement.

• Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

@Malediktus.9250 said:
    It does not even award any AP, this should easily give 20 AP considering the difficulty

Im actually pretty glad that it doesnt give AP, means i dont have to bother with it. The time the achievement requires is far too short.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mtpelion.4562 said:

Click on "Stats" then go to "Unlock Statistics". You can then view achievements to see what percent of GW2Efficiency users have unlocked a given achievement.

Thanks! Thought there was a festival section in particular I hadn't seen.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/CU/AoC

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

Got it myself on the third try. I wasnt expecting it to be that challenging considering the other race achievements. But it was great fun imo. But I rather like the personal gaming challenges that arent about pouring all your free time and your soul in.

Definitely dont care about the reward or that it doesnt give AP. I wouldnt mind seeing more achievements that are probably too hard to reward AP or a significant reward.

Definitely think the points, where you can fall down which means you have to wait it out or quickly redo the underground bit, can be quite unforgiving though. Also if you do it under 5 minutes you have to wait another 5 for your reward.

In the end I think this wouldve functioned better as an adventure. So that if you fail you can start again quite easy. And youre not bound by some timer to try again.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jojo.6140 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Im actually pretty glad that it doesnt give AP, means i dont have to bother with it. The time the achievement requires is far too short.

It is doable, I have it. But I am upset it gave no AP for the effort

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’ve only done it once, didnt really like it, didnt do it again.
    There’s no AP to be earned, either, so no motivation, either

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭

I don't play SAB because I don't like it. Nothing against SAB specifically: I have never been a fan of that type of games. I found funny that Anet adds it to GW2, I found funny to visit the place once. And with that, I was done with it already.
    I tend to agree with Illconceived Was Na.9781: I believe that either people are fans knowing the mechanics well and managing, or they don't play it at all. And the majority is probably with the last ones.

Since it is a yearly time limited event, it does not get the same attention than an activity being a continuous part of the game and played by all (or most), because it is not really worth it: It is "just" (nothing negative meant) a yearly event like all the others (Wintersday, Halloween, ...).

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Daroon.1736Daroon.1736 Member ✭✭✭

Tried it quite a few times (including as a Bee) prior to realizing it awarded zero AP, so gave up.

In any event, as usual, there is a lack of in game information - you don't have an individual timer and your finishing time is not shown, so you have no idea how close you are/were. Also, does the timer start from when you pass the first checkpoint?, When you accept the race?, when you cross the start line? or when the race starts?

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

I decided to not touch any of SAB achievements this year, race included, as I realised that after feeding Drooburt 500 coins there is no AP to play for. It's nice as I can now ignore SAB together with other festivals :)

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:
    In the end I think this wouldve functioned better as an adventure. So that if you fail you can start again quite easy. And youre not bound by some timer to try again.

The one time we would have wanted an Adventure, right? XD

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

The one time we would have wanted an Adventure, right? XD

Its rather subjective, but: Races just feel better when theres no or not much fail factor involved. Especially in a side activity.

I personally replay adventures (non HoT ones) way more often than any of the races to be fair. If a race is up its rarely more than 3 people unless its a festival one where people try to get achievements. The victory is shortlived and very unimportant feeling. (A king of the hill kind of element could make it interesting, like costume brawl has.)

As where an adventure is up permanently and you can easily fit an adventure in at any point of your available time. And your best time is forever tracked. So you in fact can track your progress fairly easily, (though a last time time stamp would help as currently its not easy to see how far over or under your personal record you are.)

It has become a favourite activity fairly quickly to see if I can beat all my friends. Just for the sake of it really.

• I just got stuck in a cloud. I will never get this achiev kitten... :'(

• Rayti.6531Rayti.6531 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018

I understand that for many this achievement is difficult or even undoable and also the frustration that comes with it... What I don't understand is, how this game is so different from others that players seem to think that achievements in this game should be:

• doable for all players regardless of "skill level" (or any other limitations that might prevent players from finishing an achievement)
    • even better: doable in one or just a few tries, with as little effort as possible (i.e. be more like tasks than actual achievements)
    • easy by design so that no improvements on the players' part are required to begin with (e.g. "why should I have to know what my skills are doing or even change my build to finish achievement xy?")

If those requirements were met by all/most achievements in this game, one could simply hand them out for free or just rename them to "tasks", since they would no longer satisfy the meaning of the word "achievement".

With that being said:
    I think the general difficulty of the race and the timer attached to it is fitting for an achievement. But I also agree that there are several design flaws - like having to start all over again after missing certain jumps. I think there should be a skill which enables you to restart at the last checkpoint on use, maybe with a small penalty attached to it (e.g. a small knock down of short duration on being ported back). This race needs something to help people get back on track without having to start all over -> that would also make it easier to practice certain jumps and actually improve (i.e. git gud).

And yeah, the beedog really feels ... clunky? No idea if that's intentional, since the SAB generally tries to emulate a retro experience - and there were many games back then with bad controls... ;-)

• @Underdark.3726 said:
    I just got stuck in a cloud. I will never get this achiev kitten... :'(

I got stuck twice in a row in the same cloud after taking a speed buff...

• I kinda liked i had to play the race 3 times before i got it. SAB is all about jumping skills, if you can do trib you can also do the race. Rest is a question og Git gud

• Well I'm happy it doesn't give ap, the devs know the forums would have lots of posts complaining how hard it is to do the race if it gave ap, so they avoided the drama :#

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2018

@Ze Dos Cavalos.6132 said:
    Well I'm happy it doesn't give ap, the devs know the forums would have lots of posts complaining how hard it is to do the race if it gave ap, so they avoided the drama :#

Very true.

No longer posting or playing.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭

Got it in just a few tries, def think you're supposed to start as a bee. I actually missed it by a few seconds based on the timer, so I think it maybe starts when you go through the first checkpoint, not when the race starts. And I agree with those above that said it's sab, it's supposed to be hard as well as with those that said there's no real reward other than personal satisfaction, so if you don't want to do it don't bother . . .

• Scud.5067Scud.5067 Member ✭✭✭

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

@Scud.5067 said:
    Its not rocket surgery but its also not fun. Pretty poor effort, all said and done.

As a qualified rocket surgeon, I can confirm this event is not as difficult as your average ballistic missile procedure but definitely less exciting.

A doctor AND a ninja, so I hear.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Scud.5067 said:

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

@Scud.5067 said:

As a qualified rocket surgeon, I can confirm this event is not as difficult as your average ballistic missile procedure but definitely less exciting.

A doctor AND a ninja, so I hear.

He's no Buckaroo Banzai though.

I did finally manage to complete this achievement...barely...and I will not touch this race again until it comes back next year.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

I tried it once on the first day, it was completely buggy. Try to fly up, it would go down half the time, etc. Totally killed the interest I had in even going into SAB this year.
    Good news is my alts are getting season 3 and PoF map completion done.

Carnished Toast (Yum)
    Lost in the Maguuma (TC)

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can assure you all that these problems don't exist if you don't do content you don't like.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭

@Obtena.7952 said:
    I can assure you all that these problems don't exist if you don't do content you don't like.

I guess the issue is that it's content I want to like. Festivals are my jam in games. so it makes me mildly unhappy when there is festival content that is buggy or not well thought out. Now, I'm not gonna grab a pitchfork and be all "make it so easy a baby can do it!" but for me festivals are relaxing casual content that comes and goes, not hardcore no-second chances content. Trib is still there for the people who want the challenge. The race could have been made a little easier or more forgiving of mistakes.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Akkebi | Akkebyyon | Alister Kebi | Akkebi Revi | Occultist Lulu | Shadow Stalker Lulu | Daddy Horrik | Glittermancer | The Mewcifer
    Max Masteries | 15.5k AP

• nosleepdemon.1368nosleepdemon.1368 Member ✭✭✭

Hmm this sounds interesting, I didn't realise there were more cool things added to SAB this year. Is it relatively easy like tribulation mode, or is it moderately difficult?

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:
    Hmm this sounds interesting, I didn't realise there were more cool things added to SAB this year. Is it relatively easy like tribulation mode, or is it moderately difficult?

Depends on how consistent you are at making jumps the first time as well as not stopping. The timer is about as unforgiving as the previous two Festival races.

• I play at 220-350 ping connecting from Australia to NA and I have to say the Bee dog section is horrible. The skills constantly overshoot and undershoot depending on what is going on, and the swiftness upgrades cause rubber banding.

I have no idea why these were not made client side..

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018

Yes, the first half isn't the issue if you're somewhat good at jumping puzzles. The problem is the second half where you're the bee dog. The controls are clunky. The response feels delayed. And the power boosts are positioned oddly where you can fly through them, but somehow miss them too.

Finally, the change from two arches to one with the clouds can cause a lot of frustration in the bee dog form.

No longer posting or playing.

• nosleepdemon.1368nosleepdemon.1368 Member ✭✭✭

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:
    Yes, the first half isn't the issue if you're somewhat good at jumping puzzles. The problem is the second half where you're the bee dog. The controls are clunky. The response feels delayed. And the power boosts are positioned oddly where you can fly through them, but somehow miss them too.

Finally, the change from two arches to one with the clouds can cause a lot of frustration in the bee dog form.

When I was doing trib mode in SAB one thing I noticed was how framerate dependent the game is. I routinely missed jumps and fell off ledges until I turned off every graphical effect and got a smooth 60fps. At the time, I was running on a toaster instead of an actual GPU, but if your graphics hardware is a little long in the tooth, you might be surprised at how much of a difference the fps boost makes to your timing.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

The only thing that annoys me about this race is how the bee works. You press either skill a picosecond to long, you end up in all the way to the to or bottom of the map, teleported to the entrance.

I would have preferred if they managed to replicate the way things move underwater as an effect that allows you to freely move up and down in the air as if you were swimming.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.