SAB race is the most unfun thing I've had the displeasure of experiencing in years.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I agree with Oglaf. I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it, but I do notice the lack of overall participation compared to other races during special events. Started super late and finished second . . . and was the only one of two that did . . . if that says anything.

As far as the achievement, yeah . . . one misstep and forget it. Came in second, third, fourth, and fifth and still no achievement. Tried the bee dog thing from the start, and still no success. Could be I just stink at the controls, but yeah . . . looks like one achievement I won't be getting.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it,Most of the biggest fans of SAB are used to unforgiving mechanics (or at least, mechanics that often behave differently from expected). It's not that SAB fans won't complain; they just tend to reserve their ire for the lack of Mounts or imagining that W3-4 are going to happen this decade.

And of course, the majority of players spend very little time in SAB (as evidence by stats on GW2 Efficiency); they aren't likely to complain about something they haven't tried.

I don't think it's that awful, but I do have some issues with it (particularly the achievement). I don't take issue with a long race, so long as you have plenty of room for error, and I don't have problems with an unforgiving race, so long as it's short and you can restart it easily, but I do have some issues with a very long and complex race involving hundreds of complex inputs that you can seriously screw up with a bad jump in the middle. One or the other, not both.

I didn't have trouble with this one. It was cool to have a race that didn't use mounts for once, and the flying part was something I had not seen before either. It might have helped that I knew how to do the cave part reliably though. (I think they made it even easier from last year).

It is annoying to lose the race for a single mistake, true. But a new race starts after few minutes.Think about the Master of Baubles achievement for world 2 zone 3 instead. I wasted 9 hours yesterday (not playing it continuously, with several breaks) and at the end, I missed at least one bauble. I had no idea where. And I couldn't come back to the very beginning of the world, to recheck everything.I wasted the whole day... Now that's what I call the most unfun thing/experience."Feel My Wrath, Please!" (one of the best skill change)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it,Most of the biggest fans of SAB are used to unforgiving mechanics (or at least, mechanics that often behave differently from expected). It's not that SAB fans won't complain; they just tend to reserve their ire for the lack of Mounts or imagining that W3-4 are going to happen this decade.

And of course, the majority of players spend very little time in SAB (as evidence by stats on GW2 Efficiency); they aren't likely to complain about something they haven't tried.

Haven't used Gw2Eff for this, where are you seeing this if you get a second? Love the site, provides a lot of handy data points, let alone for the quick account search for missing items.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it,Most of the biggest fans of SAB are used to unforgiving mechanics (or at least, mechanics that often behave differently from expected). It's not that SAB fans won't complain; they just tend to reserve their ire for the lack of Mounts or imagining that W3-4 are going to happen this decade.

Haven't used Gw2Eff for this, where are you seeing this if you get a second? Love the site, provides a lot of handy data points, let alone for the quick account search for missing items.

Click on "Stats" then go to "Unlock Statistics". You can then view achievements to see what percent of GW2Efficiency users have unlocked a given achievement.

Got it myself on the third try. I wasnt expecting it to be that challenging considering the other race achievements. But it was great fun imo. But I rather like the personal gaming challenges that arent about pouring all your free time and your soul in.

Definitely dont care about the reward or that it doesnt give AP. I wouldnt mind seeing more achievements that are probably too hard to reward AP or a significant reward.

Definitely think the points, where you can fall down which means you have to wait it out or quickly redo the underground bit, can be quite unforgiving though. Also if you do it under 5 minutes you have to wait another 5 for your reward.

In the end I think this wouldve functioned better as an adventure. So that if you fail you can start again quite easy. And youre not bound by some timer to try again.

Archived