I broke out of the map again and I love it.

Have you ever tried using your mounts to break out of the maps and "see the sights you'll see"?

Here are some compiled screenshots from my journey Out of Dragon's Stand.

https://imgur.com/a/9aGDp

I love map-breaking and seeing how far out it goes; it's so awesome. Please never fix these things Arenanet; they're really cool to see.

By the way, it turns out Dragon's Stand is actually rectangular, huh? I guess we won't be getting a map directly West of it anytime soon or anytime ever, considering Dragon's Stand is covering a lot of it. Oh well; still plenty of other maps to break out of and explore. ^.^

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've managed to climb to the top of the tunnels on the East side of Dragon's Stand, and there's a splendid view of Rata Sum in the distance! There isn't much in between besides tangled mountains and invisible walls. Nevertheless, showing Rata Sum in the distance really sells that location in the world and it's awesome to look at. ^^

Also, you can follow along the Bitter Harvest routes on your mounts in the open world as you did in the story instance. However, there aren't any enemies along those routes because it was normally inaccessible without mounts. It's still cool to travel through again, un-instanced.

I think I want to try looking around Tangled Depths next and see where exactly it begins and ends. ^^

Ah, there is an achievement for seeing Rata Sum named Sum Viewer. It's intended to be sight-seen after all! ^^

And apparently there are two areas named Deserted Coast and Thorn Hollow that were originally part of the Dragon's Stand map but either later removed or were never finished.

I'm glad they left this NorthWestern area of the map (just barely) accessible through mounts. You have to be quick and find the holes in the walls before they're dev-patched up. XD

Oh, and this reminds me of a smaller map-break in Wayfarer Foothills! In Grawlenfjord in the SouthEast part of the map, there's a cave mouth at the top of the back of the main cavern where the Enraged Winged Horror event happens. Using a Springer you can easily get up onto the torch-lit ledge and wander through the opening, falling onto the glitched map seeing the "outside" of the cave. It's so jarring and funny to look at. XD

Did I mention already I love map-breaking?

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Awright, you guys, you are in SUCH trouble! :D :D :D

I've taken on Zhaitan, (not Scarlet Briar sadly enough XD), Mordremoth, Balthazar, and soon Palawa Joko... (and maybe Selbbub one day XD).

But I've never been more afraid in my 3-or-so year old Sylvari life than to face the wrath and punishment from one of the 4th-wall breaking god-like (not like Dummy, Abby, and Balthy) developers.

Much love <3

My general "out of map" exploration is upwards (or very rarely downwards) rather than "sideways". I found interesting things starting from the Captain's Airship, which is already pretty high up.

• Start with a Springer from the forward deck of the ship. Much of the detail on the gas bag is visual-only, including the "spike" at the front, but the gas bag itself is not just visual.
  • Get on the Griffon, and fly from the back of the gas bag toward the hills above Vigil Keep. You can get onto a flat-topped hill that is just a couple of inches below the "sky" texture plane so your character sticks up through the plane. Up there, there is a small fortified tower, but you cannot get on top because the tower is visual-only and allows you to walk through the walls.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Awright, you guys, you are in SUCH trouble! :D :D :D

Did you really think we would stay to garden paths once we got mounts? :)

Giddy Up!And I thought gliding was amazing ;-)

No joke, I would trade mounts to get the backstory of the Ashford ghost in pre searing ascalon though.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ashford_Abbey#Notes

As someone who's done full map completion a lot (8 times, if you were wondering), I find ways to break out of maps all the time. Most of them are completely accidental. I was in Gendarran Fields once on my jackal, and somehow I blinked through the ground, and suddenly I was under the entire map! I also tend to get stuck in a lot of places, so much so that it's become a running joke among my friends.

I try to find a way in all maps. Tangled Depths is actually really cool outside of map too. Especially above the line convergence. I miss void jumping onto the top of the big hylek tree though. Auric Basin is pointless now that there is no void jumping because the map is milessss above the water!

There’s an easy spot in Sandswept too but there isn’t much to see aside from all the hidden trees being used as bushes inside terrain. Lol

I’d love to break out of Istan though, or at least get into the undeveloped area with the big snake statues and jumping puzzle tunnel thing that looked like it might have originally been planned for the Farahnur story entry step.

It is amazing to see the map design from an out of the box perspective so to speak. And like Dragon Stand you can sometimes find neat little hidden things that are either empty story instances or beautiful areas that weren’t quite finished and adds a bit of mystery.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:Isnt breaking out of map counted as exploit

Not really for it to be an exploit it has to give you an advantage. Just breaking out of maps for the sake of breaking out is not an exploit under that definition. If you use the act of breaking out of a map to skip content then it is technically an exploit (see void jumping).

There's a spot in draconis mons by that little oakheart npc by the flax farm. If I recall correctly it's a little to the left of them against the back of the cave. There's a small hole in the rocks. I believe I used a mount to jump up there perhaps the springer, can't recall 100% but you end up in a weird underneath/behind place. Didn't take any screen shots.

In the past I had broken out to the ground level of Rata Sum, found the portal to the Polymock Arena and found the portal from there back to Rata Sum. I had also broken out of the Cursed Shores map west of Grenth's alter and could swim to what felt like a limitless depth. At the end of story mode ruined city of Arah it was possible to swim to the only point of interest I believe no one can get as it's somewhere in the air (I recall that being called Zhaitan's rest). Just a couple days ago I saw how to get to the pump relay room in Sorrow's Embrace so I broke out to grab that.

Archived