Backline hammer revs after nerf — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Backline hammer revs after nerf

Haziq.3907Haziq.3907 Member ✭✭

Hey all, are hammer revs still useful in WvW after the nerf ? If not, then what other classes are useful as backline other than a scourge ?

Comments

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭

Yes they are. We still hit hard, just not AS hard. Phase Smash and Drop the Hammer continue to hit hard. I notice reduction mostly on CoR, and it is a large reduction, but not enough to take hammer rev out of the meta.

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭

CoR does less damage sure, but its still really high when compared to other skills. You can still hit 10k+ without even going full glass. Plus 4-7k auto attacks, perma fury with constant 25 stacks of might. Also your 3 and 5 skills can easily hit for over 10k.

BG

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@X T D.6458 said:
    CoR does less damage sure, but its still really high when compared to other skills. You can still hit 10k+ without even going full glass. Plus 4-7k auto attacks, perma fury with constant 25 stacks of might. Also your 3 and 5 skills can easily hit for over 10k.

Yup can confirm was hit for 9.9k from a hammer rev the other day on Coalescence of Ruinmyday, just barely escaped from that, before the patch I’d have died to a single follow up auto or just the AoE spam there usually is.

• FogLeg.9354FogLeg.9354 Member ✭✭✭

The usefulness remains - ranged, AoE, low cooldown damage.

• hotcatz.6834hotcatz.6834 Member ✭✭

Yea, still getting hit by 10 / 11k CoR and if you don’t avoid the follow up 5/6/7k that’s a dead Ele.....

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pre Patch we had always around 10 Revs in a 50 man Pug squad.
    After the Patch we have AT MOST 2. But thats rare.

I had to switch runes on my scourge to have atleast some form of fury. ( Pack rune)

Surprisingly the number of scourges did not increase much. Even so we got buffed this patch.
    Weaver and Tempest Numbers have doubled.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah it's a joke that people thought hammer revs cor getting nerfed would mean anything. Not even removing the wall of scourges will remove hammer rev now that it is in the hands of mediocre players.

Big damage on other glass cannons and pvers!

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Haziq.3907Haziq.3907 Member ✭✭

Thanks guys ! Gonna level up a rev for WvW :)

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I had to switch runes on my scourge to have atleast some form of fury. ( Pack rune)

Surprisingly the number of scourges did not increase much. Even so we got buffed this patch.

Im not surprised to see more weavers in WvW, although in certain situations its incredibly tricky to play, in Open field they can lay down alot of damage.. I am more surprised that you say Tempest numbers have doubled xP is that from 1 to 2? because Firebrand is still superior compared to Tempest.

@apharma.3741 said:

@X T D.6458 said:

Yup can confirm was hit for 9.9k from a hammer rev the other day on Coalescence of Ruinmyday, just barely escaped from that, before the patch I’d have died to a single follow up auto or just the AoE spam there usually is.

A lot of the damage also depends on the modifiers from traits. Timing and positioning is key to playing, and fighting against a Rev. CoR is a tricky skill to balance because of its mechanics, and unreliable delivery so the tradeoff is high damage and low cool down because it has a high chance of missing often. The main skill is the auto attack which hits 5 targets and does really high damage on its own. A smart rev will not use CoR right away but rather wait for the damage modifiers that only work in combat to kick in. The best counters are gap closers and conditions/cc's.

BG

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018

I am a - so called - backline hammer herald. My damages go up to 17k. I still play it and that's lot of fun.
    However, one speciality in my case: I tend to play more frontline/midline than backline. As strange as it may sound, I die less going front or staying midline than when I try to stay backline. Maybe because at earlier times, I was playing midline tempest auramancer, so I better position myself mid/front than when I am backline, where I feel always a bit lost with no instinct for where to stand best. But I am a very slow learner ... :3

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

alone revs suck. in a squad, when you synergize with everyone else, you will do 4k most often and when your not few and bomb as one. insta down enemies

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

edited April 5, 2018

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Im not surprised to see more weavers in WvW, although in certain situations its incredibly tricky to play, in Open field they can lay down alot of damage.. I am more surprised that you say Tempest numbers have doubled xP is that from 1 to 2? because Firebrand is still superior compared to Tempest.

Same server here.

Many dont want to play Firebrand because its melee. And thats not fun against 30-40 scourge squads.

Pre Patch most squad looked like this:
    10 Firebrands
    20 Scourges
    10 Hammer Revs
    4-6 Spellbreaker
    2-4 Chrono or Mirage
    2-4 Ele Tempest or Weaver

Post Patch:
    10 Firebrands
    25 Scourges
    0-2 Hammer Revs
    3-4 Spellbreaker
    2-4 Chrono or Mirage
    6-8 Tempest or Weaver

I have no idea why anyone would play Weaver over easy mode scourge or rev, many of the hard hitting skills take time and some even root you in place for a period of time, you also take far more risk having lower health if you don’t want to be a wuss. Likewise I can’t understand wanting to go tempest as FB completely eclipses it in support while bringing more to the table.

@apharma.3741 said:
    I have no idea why anyone would play Weaver over easy mode scourge or rev, many of the hard hitting skills take time and some even root you in place for a period of time, you also take far more risk having lower health if you don’t want to be a wuss. Likewise I can’t understand wanting to go tempest as FB completely eclipses it in support while bringing more to the table.

I know alot of people who think
    " I will never go so low and play scourge"
    " Im better then this"
    " I will not go to this kind of level"
    " Im not here to play ultra easy mode (scourge)"

• Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

Yeah, my absolute biggest problem on Weaver is when we're trying to take down a wall/gate. Tip for all you newer Weaver players out there - do NOT ever stand in siege for more than the time it takes you to get out of it.....EVER. You will die.....quickly.....and often.

• Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:

Because not everyone wants to play what everyone else is playing. I mainly play Scourge in my guild's raids, and it's boring, especially when the majority of raid groups are also scourges. Rev is boring, and FB is not a fun playstyle to me.

Honestly, imo if you want to get good in WvW play something like a Weaver, or a full zerq any class, and you will learn how to survive much faster than playing some zombie class that can just sit on a tag and pump out aoe's without much consequence.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

" Im better then this"

Thing is those people were already not playing those classes so there would be no numbers shift, the only people shifting from one class to another would be those that believe it is now in a stronger position than they were before the patch. Weaver and tempest relative to rev, scourge and FB in their roles was weaker before the patch and is weaker after the patch so there’s no reason for those to shift.

• Zushada.6108Zushada.6108 Member ✭✭✭

I took a break from the game for a while and just got back into it. Was about to jump on my rev and get into a zerg when I saw this thread. :-)
    Anyone know the logic behind the nerf? I was looking on the forums but can't seem to find a reason why they reduced the damage in WvW.

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, what used to take one hit only takes half a hit more from Cor, otherwise the other 2 skills on hammer hit the same like before which is like a truck. It's not much of a nerf at all.

• FogLeg.9354FogLeg.9354 Member ✭✭✭

It could be good thing for Revs as those players who look for easiest class move on to Scourge.

• Xillllix.3485Xillllix.3485 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018

Woah they finally nerved hammer rev.
    About time, only took them... Over 2 years? Heavy classes shouldn't be allowed to 1-shot people anyway. When the game was launched only the thief could do over 10k with backstab and it should have remained that way.

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:

Sometimes it's about playing a different style of damage dealing and not just playing whatever is the easiest. A zerk weaver requires good positioning and predicting to place their aoes, it's more challenging to play than scourge.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    " Im better then this"

I'm kinda in that boat, necro was my main for so long in wvw, and is my main in what little pve I do these days. But I don't feel like playing it in wvw because of how many others there are in there now, I feel like when it came out it was overpowered, given too many things that the class hadn't had before. The scourge design took conditions and corruptions over the top turned me off of it, I hate conditions so I don't really want to support it.

Another derailing post. ^^
    EBG North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed!
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

Sometimes it's about playing a different style of damage dealing and not just playing whatever is the easiest. A zerk weaver requires good positioning and predicting to place their aoes, it's more challenging to play than scourge.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    " Im better then this"

I'm kinda in that boat, necro was my main for so long in wvw, and is my main in what little pve I do these days. But I don't feel like playing it in wvw because of how many others there are in there now, I feel like when it came out it was overpowered, given too many things that the class hadn't had before. The scourge design took conditions and corruptions over the top turned me off of it, I hate conditions so I don't really want to support it.

Absolutely agree Xen. I would rather die frequently in either reaper or weaver than go easy mode.

• Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018

@Xillllix.3485 said:
    Woah they finally nerved hammer rev.
    About time, only took them... Over 2 years? Heavy classes shouldn't be allowed to 1-shot people anyway. When the game was launched only the thief could do over 10k with backstab and it should have remained that way.

This was discussed before.
    The only way a Rev hammer could 1-shot another player was if that player was using a pure glass cannon build to do exactly the same (mostly customized to gank pople), so no empathy for those ones .
    Also, Thieves and other gankers as Rangers and Mesmers oftenly heavily rely in starting the fight out of nowhere, due they broad access to the strongest buff in the game (stealth) which Revs lacks (which is fine). Some of those gankers also abuse cc chains (stun/daze/petrify/ knockdown/root...) and just disengage and reset the fight if something goes wrong (a thing which hammer Revs can't do). Rev's hammer instead has some of the slowest (and more visible) attacks in the game, so was entirely you fault if a single CoR shot ruined your full zerk one-trick pony.

Also your statment about the timming of the nerf is wrong: CoR cooldown was doubled barely 3 months after the class release, in January of 2016, so the original damage over time was already halved.

The new nerf mostly trashes Revs in the only game department in which still had a strong place (specially in terms of roaming, due the extremely limited viable builds ), but also in zergs in which Necros are arguably stronger in terms of AoE damage and cc. In PvP Rev is arguably the worst class in the game since at least a year ago, and in PvE its meta requires a utterly diferent and expensive gear (viper) with no synergy with WvW gear.

Rev is relatively expensive to gear and still performs subpar at 2/3 of the game, carrying bugs since the HoT release. Is mostly a unfinished class.

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:
    Absolutely agree Xen. I would rather die frequently in either reaper or weaver than go easy mode.

Yeah reaper was a lot of fun. Enjoying staff weaver these days which is intimating to start with because of the constant attunement switching and trying to get the right spell up at the right time, but once you play it enough you start getting into a groove, you focus on some things more and it gets smoother, and fun trying to drop 10k meteors in the middle of enemy zergs and not be in a bad spot to get one shotted. Also running my lightshow mesmer these days which has no stealth and isn't a one shatter killer like the other builds, but it's really fun cleave damage. Just sometimes comes down to playing what's fun to play and not easy to play, since the game isn't really exciting as it once was for me.

Another derailing post. ^^
    EBG North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed!
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    " Im better then this"

Rallybot...

BG

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@X T D.6458 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    " Im better then this"

Rallybot...

If I ran with the Zerg, yes. :joy:

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.