Considering all the negativity in the Revenant forums I decided to throw anet a bone of constructive feedback in regards to Renegade. I've been playing Renegade in sPvP for a while both for fun and to learn it's issues, and have played it with some level of success against top 250 players and playing it in platinum ranked with shiro/jalis power renegade. This is a revision to make the rework slightly less TL;DR and to condense the changes into a smaller number of options so that Renegade can be made less-clunky and for less work.
Main Goal: Renegade has some level of decency, the issue is it lacks a good number of built in utility to truly shine. This rework/buff aims to give Renegade more options for healing and utility in fights to make it harder for the enemy team to ignore. Note: This is primarily focused with PvP in mind. I've avoided any major buffs to DPS to prevent problems in raid compositions for PvE, but adjusting Renegade in PvE is not the goal here.
Problem 1: Spirits are far too easily outplayed by competent players, making the Kalla legend feel like a poor mans dragonhunter.
This can be fixed by any number of changes. Any combination of two of the following would place Kalla in a better spot for PvP:
1. Significantly reduce cast time and aftercast of all spirits
2. Increase the utility effect of spirits, such as giving one of them weakness application or making them all grant an AoE boon ( IE: make Darkrazor grant all allies 3s stability )
3. Spirits can no longer be CCed ( But can still be killed ).
Problem 2: Shortbow skill 2 and 3 are hot garbage , making bow inefficient due to effectively only having two skills + auto attack.
-This can be fixed by reworking one of the skills into an evade or block, and then buffing the other. There are many ways to do this, so the following is just an example:
1. Swap Sevenshot and BB path so Sevenshot is now skill #2. Buff Sevenshot so that the hitbox threshold is large enough so that it generally always inflicts 2 stacks of torment at least. Currently it does 1 stack at point blank, 2 at midranged, and 5 if aimed correctly. Buff would be 2 stacks point blank, 4 midrange, and 7 if aimed.
2. Rework Bloodbane path to an evade skill where the Rev teleports around the target shooting, and then returns to original position ( Think a cross between Sword 3 and Hammer 3 ). Increase cooldown to 12 seconds.
Problem 3: Renegade in general lacks sustain and utility compared to what exists on other classes in the game.
Any combination of three of the following ideas could improve this dramatically:
1. Give Renegade protection/stability or sustain on one of the Citadel order skills.
2. Give Renegade protection/stability or sustain on a major trait, such as making wrought iron will also grant protection.
4. Make one of the minor traits grant some form of sustain, such as converting 10% of critical damage dealt as health.
5. Give Renegade condi clear. This option has potential as a nice split from herald to be the spec to be chosen against condi.
6. Grant Renegade some flat defensive stats somewhere that can be easily taken. Such as making Kallas fervor also improve toughness, or adding vitality to a grandmaster.
7. Buff Citadel bombardment in PvP and WvW only. This skill is very hard to land due to the obvious animation and long windup, but is completely unrewarding for the larger investment. This skill should be something that demands a dodge, not just laughed off.
8. Give renegade some form of energy management. Currently Renegade relies too heavily on charged mists to get anywhere when compared to Herald.
9. Add actual flat lifesteal somewhere in the Renegade line. Lifesteal generally does not heavily impact PvE DPS but does for PvP.
Problem 4: Lack of Offhand block.
This one is simple but often missed. Sword 4 was recently nerfed in a way that feels really bad. A better way that also improves the defense of Rev as a whole and less dependant on support would just be adding block back to Sword 4 and nerfing the damage.
-Added duelists preparation back to the start of Sword 4, animation locked for 1/4 seconds before Shackling wave becomes available.
*Base damage of shackling wave reduced by 15%, but speed de-nerfed.
*Damage of shackling wave is increased by 10% if an attack is successfully blocked by duelists preparation.
Conclusion: I do not seriously think much in this thread will make it in game, or any of it really. but rather I am giving it to anet to provide a decent idea on how the spec can be at least less-bad. Renegades lack of decent defense makes using bow or kallas spirits a suicide wish in any sPvP setting. This is why the only way to play Renegade in sPvP is to ironically not use either of these and instead play it like a more offensive power herald shiro with jalis instead of glint. Renegade will very likely remain in a sorry state until something similar to the above is addressed.
Renegade coffee thoughts: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/34989/major-renegade-rework-suggestions-thread