Suggested Guardian Changes! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Suggested Guardian Changes!

machinarium.3054machinarium.3054 Member ✭✭
edited April 6, 2018 in Guardian

So! A common thing i've been hearing, and experiencing is the fact that guardian seems a bit "dated" in terms of its balancing and skills. Due to this, I propose these further changes to a few of their systems.

SHIELD -
Replace Shield of Judgement (4) with an animation of a block, but rather than a straight out block it should give a means of damage reduction. Around 33-50% for 3-5 seconds while pulsing protection to nearby allies (and only allies) for that duration. Alternatively, make it so that way it creates a zone behind the guardian in which allies need to stand to receive the damage reduction.
Change Shield of Absorption (5) to offer a barrier or an aegis upon detonation rather than a heal.
I believe with these changes, it would make the shield seem like more of a defensive weapon and allow it to have enough uniqueness to fit with the theme of a traditional guardian while also allowing it to have enough utility to both be viable, and stand apart from other offhand weapons which I believe also need reworks.

MEDITATIONS: Rather than a complete meditation overhaul, I'd suggest looking at one of the guardians major weakness. Mobility.
Change Judges Intervention/ Merciful Intervention so that it uses an ammunition system, to balance the amount of charges, I'd suggest lowering the damage/heals and altering the cooldowns appropriately.
This change would allow guardians to have slightly more mobility on the battlefield, which is greatly needed. this could be used to jump to an enemy who is assaulting an ally who is in need of aid, or allow the guardian to better stick on a target.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts about this suggestion. It'd be nice for guardians get a bit of love from the dev's in regards to identity and functionality.

Comments

• Well with Mercifull intervention let us teleport even without a target.. feels clucky tjat it got a ground target, but still req. A target to jump to.. that or just make it so you need to target an ally (this would be a nerf).

Also add the ground target to Judgement intervention and that you always teleport.

Ammunition? Well if you make my changed, it might be too op.

Actually I like shield as it is.. if I should change anything, it would be to give us focus’ block ability xD always felt weird on focus.
    That would make shield a more defensive kinda weapon, but with burst potential. But lose a bit group utility, which focus could get to be more utility based.

• @Phoenix the One.4071 said:
    Well with Mercifull intervention let us teleport even without a target.. feels clucky tjat it got a ground target, but still req. A target to jump to.. that or just make it so you need to target an ally (this would be a nerf).

Also add the ground target to Judgement intervention and that you always teleport.

Ammunition? Well if you make my changed, it might be too op.

Actually I like shield as it is.. if I should change anything, it would be to give us focus’ block ability xD always felt weird on focus.
    That would make shield a more defensive kinda weapon, but with burst potential. But lose a bit group utility, which focus could get to be more utility based.

I can see where you are coming from, but at the same time I'd disagree. To address the ground target that you suggested, I dont believe that a ground target would really help in this regard as it would effectively just make it into a shadow step. By lowering the damage and raising the cooldowns it'd make it have more of a intention on mobility rather than damage/healing while still allowing it to be able to dps/heal. Guardians, firebrands, and dragon hunters, all can be kited far too easily within the current balance climate. Not only that, but blocks are easily countered, as you can easily just auto down aegis' or just sit back and relax while they are in an animation lock. By allowing a damage reduction rather than a straight out block you'd be able to be tanky for a short duration rather than having a block which realistically, doesn't do much at all. (keep in mind, I am not talking from a pve perspective, I do mean in terms of WvW/PvP.)

The offhand weapons for guardian are "functional" but they are so dated that they are barely even viable when it comes to high level play outside of a few gimmicks. Focus has a gimmick block, Torch has a gimmick single frame heavy hitting 4 skill, and shield has a gimmick projectile wall. In my eyes, it isn't a discussion of "does it work or not" but more of a "This isn't really viable, nor unique, when compared to any other class."

• I see no problem in it beimg like shadow step, thpugh it still isn’t since shadow step got racall, and these got burn or healing, so still diffenret in that way.
    I do not need a unique snowflake feeling a much as stuff just to be usefull, and not fail if a ally dodge away or the the enemy just come out of range.

And well I still find that torch are usefull in burn builds, and focus in burst build. One might call it gimmicks or not viable. I just do not find this to be totally true.
    But increase our base health and passive healing to warrior standart and that would make my life easier. Some suggested aegies to blck for 0.75 sec rather than just one attack, but it was pointed out to be too OP with spam block.

• RUNICBLACK.7630RUNICBLACK.7630 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018

I've always thought that an option in a trait line that gave between a half to three quarters of a second of protection after aegis was dropped would be an option without getting to over powered because you are having to go into the trait line to have the option and being a boon it can always be stripped, stolen or corrupted. Just my take on it being as I've always felt that aegis was over rated at times and that Guardian(and all of it's Elites) is the only class that doesn't have access to an evade in one of it's weapon skills or utilities. This not unlike the Mesmer not having access to a Blast finisher, I was never sure of the logic to that either.

Life before Death
    Strength before Weakness
    Journey before Destination
    stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal_Words

• Problem is imo that aegis and block depends a lot on the opponent, where evade depends more on your own skill/timing, if that makes sense.
    So imo evade is a better mechanic than aegis... and never understood the low health, for the reason behind was all the active defenceand passive healing, well tell me that warriors don’t have access to that aswell.

And as stated wit( more unblockable skills (though not many) and boon corruption of stripping I feel guardian gets the short end of the stick.
    But again I am not very skilled, so might also be a L2P issue.

• The changes I would like to see are:

1) Increase the projectile speed of the orbs coming from scepter 1. When chasing people in WvW, I keep getting "Out of Range" even though I am not that far behind the opponent.

2) Currently Minstrel ele, druid, and from what I hear deadeye are the better healers currently, at least in WvW. But isn't the guardian originally meant to be a combo of the monk and paragon from the first game? So shouldn't the guardian be a strong healing class too? An ele with soothing power while attuned to water can get 600-700+ healing per second without even using any skills from soothing mist when equipped with the right gear. I saw a similar result with a healing revenant from Facet of light. To be more competitive in healing, for the guardian I would like to see an increase in Force of Will outgoing healing from 1% per 100 vitality to 2 or 3%.

I enjoyed the days of using my guardian as a support healer, but despite what builds there are currently, other classes are simply better healers. So I would like to see the guardian return to the glory days of being a competitive healer.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.