Please Nerf Serpent's Ire

I've been trying every day for over a week now (some days more than once) to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it always fails. Just today, we were in almost full squad and still failed. This event scales so badly and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

I hear there's an odd guild here and there that do this event but that's simply not good enough. What about rest of the players? No one wants to do it b/c it's 90% + guaranteed it's going to fail. Why? Why aren't you fixing this? It's been like this since launch of PoF and it may have been ok at launch when huge zergs went through, but w/about now? And w/about in a few more months or a year? How are people expected to complete this event?

Please Anet, do something about this, tone it down, it scales way too high regardless of how many people are there and you need to adjust it.Thank you.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying every time I needed it for something to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it hasn't failed on me in recent months ever. Just the other day, we were in almost full squad set up via the lfg tool and we did it because players told in mapchat what needed to be done. This event scales ok'ish and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

I hear there's an lfg here and there that do this event every time it's up and that's ok. What about rest of the players? I don't want to organize it myself, but I know I could set up an lfg myself if I don't see one present at the time. Why? Why should this be fixed? It's been like this since launch of PoF and it was ok at launch when huge zergs went through, but w/about now? And w/about in a few more months or a year? How are people expected to complete this event? Since players will do the achievements even in a few months or years, it will all boil down to how well ppl are at finding/setting up a lfg.

Please Anet, do something about this, up the rewards, it scales good, seeing that it is aworld boss style event designed for a lerger group of players that have some players letting ppl know what neds to be done

Thank you.

@lokh.2695 said:I've been trying every time I needed it for something to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it hasn't failed on me in recent months ever. Just the other day, we were in almost full squad set up via the lfg tool and we did it because players told in mapchat what needed to be done. This event scales ok'ish and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

I hear there's an lfg here and there that do this event every time it's up and that's ok. What about rest of the players? I don't want to organize it myself, but I know I could set up an lfg myself if I don't see one present at the time. Why? Why should this be fixed? It's been like this since launch of PoF and it was ok at launch when huge zergs went through, but w/about now? And w/about in a few more months or a year? How are people expected to complete this event? Since players will do the achievements even in a few months or years, it will all boil down to how well ppl are at finding/setting up a lfg.

Please Anet, do something about this, up the rewards, it scales good, seeing that it is aworld boss style event designed for a lerger group of players that have some players letting ppl know what neds to be done

Thank you.

Even if you disagree with TC, is this necessary?

@Mil.3562 said:

@lokh.2695 said:I've been trying every time I needed it for something to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it hasn't failed on me in recent months ever. Just the other day, we were in almost full squad set up via the lfg tool and we did it because players told in mapchat what needed to be done. This event scales ok'ish and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

Thank you.

Well, I guess it sadly is. The event is perfectly fine. You just won't be able to successfully finish it with the typical braindead-auto-afk-playstyle. The only reason why people aren't doing it are the lackluster rewards.

Serpent Ire is not something you get in and smash stuff and call it done. The 2nd phase on the court yard is DPS golem with CC test. it not really hard event but it failed due to people not paying attention to mechanic.

If it finished you get minimal loot like everyone else thats why not many people do it any way. Unlike events with mob to tag.

Just tell everybody to bring as much CC as possible for the second phase and split up somewhat, you should be able to do it just fine.

That means literally say it every 2 minutes that you need CC, ping some hard CC spells, tell t hem what CC is, they will get the memo

@Raizel.8175 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Thank you.

Well, I guess it sadly is. The event is perfectly fine. You just won't be able to successfully finish it with the typical braindead-auto-afk-playstyle. The only reason why people aren't doing it are the lackluster rewards.

I think it was probably the mocking tone rather than the content that @Mil.3562 was questioning. It seems a bit unneccessary to voice one's opinion in this way.

I fully agree that Ire is doable, even though it takes cooperation and people knowing their classes and skills a bit more than most other events. The opinion might not have been presented in a nicest way though.

Some of the comments above seem to be full of assumptions and even insults. I don't think either is called for. You speak as if u were there with me and know exactly what went down. Assuming people don't know about CC's or afkaying this fight is rather ridiculous and not helpful at all. In any case, this was not directed at any of you but at the devs, i don't see what gives you the right to speak on their behalf. They should know as i do, people have been complaining (certainly at map chats whenever this event is going down) about this event scaling very poorly. But hey as long as 3 or 4 you can do it successfully that's all that matters eh.

@Tiger Ashante.1792 said:Some of the comments above seem to be full of assumptions and even insults. I don't think either is called for. You speak as if u were there with me and know exactly what went down. Assuming people don't know about CC's or afkaying this fight is rather ridiculous and not helpful at all. In any case, this was not directed at any of you but at the devs, i don't see what gives you the right to speak on their behalf. They should know as i do, people have been complaining (certainly at map chats whenever this event is going down) about this event scaling very poorly. But hey as long as 3 or 4 you can do it successfully that's all that matters eh.

The event simply requires people to actually play the game since you can't solve it in your typical auto-attacking-interactive-movie-mode. It is fine the way it is. This is a player-issue. The only thing that could be improved are the rewards to actually incentivize doing the event.

@Raizel.8175 said:

@Tiger Ashante.1792 said:Some of the comments above seem to be full of assumptions and even insults. I don't think either is called for. You speak as if u were there with me and know exactly what went down. Assuming people don't know about CC's or afkaying this fight is rather ridiculous and not helpful at all. In any case, this was not directed at any of you but at the devs, i don't see what gives you the right to speak on their behalf. They should know as i do, people have been complaining (certainly at map chats whenever this event is going down) about this event scaling very poorly. But hey as long as 3 or 4 you can do it successfully that's all that matters eh.

The event simply requires people to actually play the game since you can't solve it in your typical auto-attacking-interactive-movie-mode. It is fine the way it is. This is a player-issue. The only thing that could be improved are the rewards to actually incentivize doing the event.

Since i'm now convinced you're a troll (you certainly type like one) my discussion with you is over.

The event mechanics is very easy though two bits are annoying.

The challenge is to organize correctly. It is the same as Triple Trouble in that regard. In a way it is easier than Triple Trouble since you only need one person leading and there is kill coordination necessary. These type of events generally become easier and easier as more and more people learn how it is done until eventually any ad hoc group has pretty good chance of success. Unfortunately the rewards for this event is neither good for the time commitment nor does it seem to provide anything unique so is no reason to go do it unless you need something from it. Now you might say "ah ha! If you need something from it then doesn't it mean there is already unique rewards?" and the answer is yes but those are all once per account.

The organizing starts 30 minutes before and then the actual event takes maybe another 15 minutes. In that same 45 minutes you could have done all the t4 fractals and maybe even the daily recommended if it was a particularly short set of t4s that day. Except the gold reward is probably 10 times more than Serpent's Ire. You can't repeat fractal dailies but how many people are playing enough hours a day to run Serpent's Ire more than once a day?

In that same 45 minutes you could have done 3 world bosses with roughly the same rewards but practically zero risk of failure.

Need elegy mosaics? Legendary bounty train is better.

Another alternative with similar rewards is Maw of Torment.

As far as I can see there is simply no reason to do this event except for collections and "I really love this event" but that second group is insignificant otherwise this threads and other like it wouldn't exist.

@Tiger Ashante.1792 said:I've been trying every day for over a week now (some days more than once) to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it always fails. Just today, we were in almost full squad and still failed. This event scales so badly and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

I hear there's an odd guild here and there that do this event but that's simply not good enough. What about rest of the players? No one wants to do it b/c it's 90% + guaranteed it's going to fail. Why? Why aren't you fixing this? It's been like this since launch of PoF and it may have been ok at launch when huge zergs went through, but w/about now? And w/about in a few more months or a year? How are people expected to complete this event?

Please Anet, do something about this, tone it down, it scales way too high regardless of how many people are there and you need to adjust it.Thank you.

You had an almost full squad but did anyone bother to explain what needs to be done beforehand? Having people is a prerequisite but explanations still need to be given.

@Raizel.8175 said:

It's still a game issue. If players are used to things being done in a way, if the new content is different without communicating that it's special (with improved rewards, flashier introduction, etc.) then it's a failure of the game.

It's like when a desert country is suddenly flooded all the time, it's the people's fault that they don't know how to handle floods.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

It's still a game issue. If players are used to things being done in a way, if the new content is different without communicating that it's special (with improved rewards, flashier introduction, etc.) then it's a failure of the game.

It's like when a desert country is suddenly flooded all the time, it's the people's fault that they don't know how to handle floods.

No. That’s a failure on the players’ part for being unable to adapt in a game that continuously changes.

I agree with others who say the rewards are out of balance for the effect especially when compared to some other map-wide meta events. Either the difficulty or the reward should be modified. If the rewards are kept as is, then the difficulty of the event should be reduced. If the difficulty is kept as is, then the rewards need to be increased. Since the rewards are probably easier to tweak, it would probably be simpler to just boost the rewards to help resolve this. That would encourage more players to replay it regularly.

I also think that tying this to the backpack collection was a mistake. I got mine, but I pity the folks that still haven't and may struggle even more as the number of players attempting this event steadily drops.

I understand your position, there's a couple of events in the game that can be really hard without enough people familiar with them to carry the day.But, I would not like to see too much events changed in a manner that simplifies getting them done - some challenge is nice :)

My advice is to look into expanding your connections with players in game, joining a guild and looking at the events that are troublesome to finish again: There was a couple of events I was struggling with in a pick up group, then I complain in guild chat, a little while later when cavalry arrives - event becomes almost too easy.

@Tiger Ashante.1792 said:I've been trying every day for over a week now (some days more than once) to complete Serpent's Ire event with various groups, some large, some small, but it always fails. Just today, we were in almost full squad and still failed. This event scales so badly and the only reason people are trying it, is b/c of achievements and collections.

No one does it is not for fail rate actelly its due too low reward this meta is simply not rewarding enough to do for many

@Kalendraf.9521 said:I agree with others who say the rewards are out of balance for the effect especially when compared to some other map-wide meta events. Either the difficulty or the reward should be modified. If the rewards are kept as is, then the difficulty of the event should be reduced. If the difficulty is kept as is, then the rewards need to be increased. Since the rewards are probably easier to tweak, it would probably be simpler to just boost the rewards to help resolve this. That would encourage more players to replay it regularly.

I also think that tying this to the backpack collection was a mistake. I got mine, but I pity the folks that still haven't and may struggle even more as the number of players attempting this event steadily drops.

Even if the difficulty would be lowered the reward would be terrible. The event needs much more time than let's say Tequatl but only gives a fraction of the reward.

You guys only seem to care about rewards. I just want to be able to complete the content, not set the event on a farm mode. I think we got enough of those in the game already. You may argue with me trying to complete Mark Y Golem is chasing rewards, but I believe this type of reward is different to farming some event and tbh the amount of effort this backpack required does not feel like a reward at all. Serpent's Ire as is, has made it feel more like a punishment. Not to mention, I have 13 completed items sitting in my bags and I'm unable to get rid of them until I complete this darn event.

My suggestion is (and this is not just for me, but everyone else in the same boat), if they don't want to adjust the event, then at least don't tie collections to events that require huge amount of people to complete. I really thought Anet learned a lesson with legendary weapon collection but after doing it again with Serpent's Ire, I guess they haven't.

My time zone is probably bad for this event too, as whenever I've tried it, very few people are doing it and it's frustrating failing it all the time. However, I've heard people saying since launch of PoF and still say the same thing, this event scales badly (as I already mentioned in my OP) and unless u have a massive zerg, makes it very hard to complete. This is open world and organizing it might be fine, but people should be able to join into these events and do so, whether they know what they're doing or not.

The event itself I don't find fun. Running around branded area for 30 minutes, while constantly being bombarded by lighting, looking for stupid zealots, that's supposed to be fun? Then, bashing at some gazzilion HP snakes it's mind numb boring to me, but I get the impression from just a few of your comments here, people care less what's fun as long as rewards are good. And since the rewards are poor you say, that's the reason people are not doing this event? I put it to you, there are still people playing this game for fun and if this event was loads of fun, people would be doing it. You all talk about time v reward etc, for goodness sake, this is a game, not a job. Why are you all talking about it as if it were a job? I can never understand that mentality, but whatever.

The most frustrating part about this is getting players to cooperate. I'm stuck with a population of players who's choices regarding this event is to either not pay attention, or not show up because not paying attention isn't working. Because of this, I am in a situation where there is nothing within my power that I can do to complete this event. It either works, or it doesn't work.

"Git gud" only works if it is something that is personally within one's control. If an event is reliant on 50+ random people of which one does not have any reasonable control over, then there isn't much that can be done, aside from nerfing the event.

If it weren't for this meta event being one of the gatekeepers for the Funerary gloves collection, I wouldn't care at all about this meta event. If they could just move that to something else or give me another way to get it, I'd be fine. (Well, that and the one for the chestpiece. Seriously, making me have to fight six champion djinn simultaneously is sadistic.)

But clearly that would've been too convenient, so here I am. Possible changes below.

• Get rid of the Brandstorm, at least during this meta-event. It's half the reason phase one is such a pain, as you are stuck with either using skimmers or carefully darting between the djinn crystals to keep from dying to the constant lightning. It also presents a problem in that if a Zealot decides to spawn or wander off where there aren't any, fighting it is going to be unreasonably difficult, if not impossible.

• Get rid of the Zealot's bounty abilities. They are not bounty targets, thus there is no reason for them to have these other than more artificial difficulty on top of us already having to fight in limited space due to the above-mentioned Brandstorm. If these are meant to be like bounty targets, then we should be able to see them on the map or have indicators when they show up, as the area a bounty target is in shows for anyone that takes it from the bounty board.

• Have the Zealots be out already instead of us having to "draw their ire" by killing Branded. If they're already out and up to something, as the meta implies, it makes little sense that we have to goad them into attacking us. It's almost as if they aren't really doing anything at all...

• The second phase should just be removed, with the third phase put in its place at the court after the three minutes of regrouping there. From everything I've seen and read of it, it's nothing more than a DPS/CC wall that you can run into and fail miserably at simply because you didn't have enough people.

• I've not actually seen the third phase, so this is based on wiki info...just get rid of the stupid immunity phases, I guess.

• Make the rewards actually worth the trouble. The Chest of the Bazaar Raider should contain at least 16 to 20 Pulsing Brandsparks, 20 Intact Mosaics, 400 Piles of Trade Contracts, and a box that lets you choose any of the PoF insignia recipes, or a recipe for one of the three special armor sets. And the Chest of the Desert Specialist should also be guaranteed as well, at least from this meta.

Archived