New races please,and their heritage skins

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World of Warcraft simple graphics engine simply stretches armor textures for various races. Gw2 armors are vastly more detailed and they don't have the luxury of stretching an already blurry(WoW) mess of pixels. A new race in gw2 is a pretty big undertaking, and they've expressed the desire to add, but it's alot of work that takes away from something else they could also be doing. Just an fyi. Also I have every prof at 80 and a few of them twice over already. I really don't have alot of drive to do it all again for a new race alone.

From what I've heard revenant is the least polished, most buggy and currently somewhat underpowered profession in this game. This probably has to do with the fact it was not part of the original GW2. Why would you want to introduce more half-finished and constantly forgotten classes like this one?

Also, how can you imagine something like centaur using a mount? Introducing the features asked in this thread is not only pointless from a gameplay point of view, but will also bring numerous bugs and visual problems when it comes to fitting those skins in existing armors.

Why WoW does it? Well, WoW is in decline. WoW is slowly suffocating because the magic of the earlier versions of this game died with the Lich King. The devs have a lot of resources at their disposal to make something happen and this is one of their desperate attempt to justify the monthly fee of more than a 10 year old product.

With charr neglected as they are, bringing in new races -- especially races that aren't human clones -- is pointless and would stretch thin resources even thinner. It's nice to think about because GW2 has so many cool and interesting races, but fact is 1/5 of our current races has severe clipping issues and often have odd looking bits because their model is so different from humans, norn, and sylvari. Charr cultural armour clips on charr, horns clip through helms, hair clips through the back, etc. Even asura have issues, though to a lesser extent.

Plus now there's mounts and gliding to consider, not to mention a giant backlog of armour that would need to be redone. That's a whooooole lot of work that never goes away (they'll forever have to design, model, and skin new armour and outfits), which means that much general content that does not happen.

(When comparing games, it's also good to consider the companies' positions :) Blizzard is huge, has multiple popular games that bring in a pile of money each day, and WoW hit the market at the perfect time to be extremely popular and to this day gets away with having a subscription. Anet is small, has one IP, and relies on expansions to boost revenue enough to keep going. They simply don't have the resources to spare for such a massive undertaking.)

@Oglaf.1074 said:Don’t forget voice acting. Adding a new race would mean having to twice (for both sexes) re-record every single line in vanilla, HoT and PoF.

Not every line. A new race wouldn't require them to rerecord every line in the existing race-specific parts of the vanilla stories. (All the faffing with Kellach and your parents and Quinn, for example.) Instead, they'd have to record NEW race-specific parts.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Don’t forget voice acting. Adding a new race would mean having to twice (for both sexes) re-record every single line in vanilla, HoT and PoF.

Not
every
line. A new race wouldn't require them to rerecord every line in the existing race-specific parts of the vanilla stories. (All the faffing with Kellach and your parents and Quinn, for example.) Instead, they'd have to record NEW race-specific parts.

Well duh.

My point is obviously about every line the Commander has across all races which would have to re-recorded twice - and these make up the vast, vaaaast majority of voice acting done for the Commander and would be a massive undertaking as a result.

Now go unnecessarily nitpick somewhere else.

Sorry. Should have added that having to record new race-specific parts would be even more work than just re-recording new copies of existing parts, since they'd have to write the new stories as well. And create new zones, etc. It would be mitigated by not having to re-record five pairs of race-specific parts, but they'd probably have to fidget in new race-specific lines in various places. Example: if the new race is some flavour of tengu, then the one smith you meet in Concordia in the post-Claw Island vanilla story might have something to say to you, that sort of thing.

@DeTechTive.9251 said:World of Warcraft simple graphics engine simply stretches armor textures for various races. Gw2 armors are vastly more detailed and they don't have the luxury of stretching an already blurry(WoW) mess of pixels.

you have not looked close enough then, plenty of armor in GW2 are stretched on bigger races, they just made a big enough texture resolution so it fits on the bigger races.also, i have seen simple armors in WoW that have allot more details then a more complex GW2 armor, the textures are even sharper then the GW2 equivalent.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@DeTechTive.9251 said:World of Warcraft simple graphics engine simply stretches armor textures for various races. Gw2 armors are vastly more detailed and they don't have the luxury of stretching an already blurry(WoW) mess of pixels.

you have not looked close enough then, plenty of armor in GW2 are stretched on bigger races, they just made a big enough texture resolution so it fits on the bigger races.also, i have seen simple armors in WoW that have allot more details then a more complex GW2 armor, the textures are even sharper then the GW2 equivalent.

Yes, similarly if you look at most armor an asura you'll see that's its just compressed to fit on them. They shrunk the textures and the model to make them fit which is especially noticeable on the vertical details.

@sorudo.9054 said:

I've not really missed anything. The difference in the two engines is quite large. Texture stretching is quite common, but if you really think they are in the same ballpark, you'd be mistaken. Stretching a few already blurry low res pixels in WoW is not the same. Both games require significant rework of all existing armors for new races added if they are not exactly human shaped. But WoW can get away with alot more shortcuts because it's an old cartoony graphics engine with already low res blurry armor graphics. That's all I'm saying. I'm also all for new races, but having like 13+ level 80s in a game with 9 professions means alot of us need a wee bit more reason to yet again go through the same motions. Unless a race change option was added and imo, should only be a limited thing and not anytime you feel like it for 10 bucks.

Also if you could provide side by side screens to prove your last point, I would check them out. But I have played both games plenty and I heartily disagree.

@EpicName.4523 said:Also, how can you imagine something like centaur using a mount? Introducing the features asked in this thread is not only pointless from a gameplay point of view, but will also bring numerous bugs and visual problems when it comes to fitting those skins in existing armors.

Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

@Leo G.4501 said:

@EpicName.4523 said:Also, how can you imagine something like centaur using a mount? Introducing the features asked in this thread is not only pointless from a gameplay point of view, but will also bring numerous bugs and visual problems when it comes to fitting those skins in existing armors.

Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

Centaurs are not a playable race for a reason. You want something different? Fine. However, it is very impudent to to accuse someone of lack of creative thinking just because you don't get the things you want.

@EpicName.4523 said:

Centaurs are not a playable race for a reason. You want something different? Fine. However, it is very impudent to to accuse someone of lack of creative thinking just because you don't get the things you want.

It's not the lack of creativity, but the lack of drive and the abundance of complacency. I'm sure if the desire and drive were there and they set their goal to implement a centaur race were set, the creative designers in their studio could figure out a way to implement mounts and mount abilities for it.

But none of that matters. You deem it too difficult so that's all you need to say here. Just keep your argument in perspective.

It simply isn’t happening.

Unless they cheat. Undead for example would be one of the easiest they could do, which would essentially be a reskinned voice morphed human. ArenaNet would never do something simple like this however.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

Mobile games prove you wrong.

New race means that all armor skins have to be re-done. A new personal story has to be created m together with a home town and a new starter zone, they need to re-record all lines the player speaks in all 5 languages for both sexes. This is a huge amount of resources, pulling them away from releasing other new content that is much easier to deliver. So given the amount of work, it’s not worth it.

@"Leo G.4501" said:It's not the lack of creativity, but the lack of drive and the abundance of complacency. I'm sure if the desire and drive were there and they set their goal to implement a centaur race were set, the creative designers in their studio could figure out a way to implement mounts and mount abilities for it.

But none of that matters. You deem it too difficult so that's all you need to say here. Just keep your argument in perspective.

Again, you're ignoring the main issue: resources. It doesn't matter if you have many great ideas and want to pursue them if you don't have the resources to do so.

Fact is, Anet is stretched thin. Putting keys in the wallet? That was one dev's pet project on their off hours. Aurene's cute animations? An animator did that at home after work. There's more that I'm forgetting but plenty of things were done by 1-2 devs on their off hours simply because there's no time to do them at work where they have to follow the set priorities.

Could they come up with something about centaurs if they wanted? Sure. Do they have the resources to do so? Nope. Are they going to funnel their time and energy into something that will never happen instead of what's on the release schedule? Definitely not.

It's very easy to say "why don't people do X?" when you have no idea of what is going on with them and all the barriers they face. And Anet has been very open about how they simply aren't a giant company and have to strictly prioritize things otherwise everything falls apart. If they had to put legendaries are hiatus because they didn't have the people in recent times, why do you think they have the resources to make a whole new race and everything that entails?

@Zephire.8049 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:It's not the lack of creativity, but the lack of drive and the abundance of complacency. I'm sure if the desire and drive were there and they set their goal to implement a centaur race were set, the creative designers in their studio could figure out a way to implement mounts and mount abilities for it.

Again, you're ignoring the main issue: resources. It doesn't matter if you have many great ideas and
want
to pursue them if you don't have the resources to do so.

Fact is, Anet is stretched thin. Putting keys in the wallet? That was one dev's pet project on their off hours. Aurene's cute animations? An animator did that at home after work. There's more that I'm forgetting but plenty of things were done by 1-2 devs on their off hours simply because there's no time to do them at work where they have to follow the set priorities.

Could they come up with something about centaurs if they wanted? Sure. Do they have the resources to do so? Nope. Are they going to funnel their time and energy into something that will never happen instead of what's on the release schedule? Definitely not.

It's very easy to say "why don't people do X?" when you have no idea of what is going on with them and all the barriers they face. And Anet has been very open about how they simply aren't a giant company and have to strictly prioritize things otherwise everything falls apart. If they had to put legendaries are hiatus because they didn't have the people in recent times, why do you think they have the resources to make a whole new race and everything that entails?

Firstly, I never argued "why don't people do X?". At the most, I'm arguing "Who are you to say what's too much?"

And your post is pretty much the quote for the latter.

And the same people who would argue "this is too much resources! it can never happen!" will also argue "these cosmetic gem store items are too expensive! why is this luxury item RNG!? you money grubbing so-and-sos!" It's hypocracy everywhere I look!

It simply isn’t happening.

I think they could get around that by just throwing in a new race, playable after a specific story step is completed - so they'd need some ambient dialogue, but going forward wouldn't need to backtrack. I'd recommend two races though if they wanted that route though.

People say it wouldn't be worth the work but I mean...it'd be a pretty hot selling point for some players as well. Gliding and mounts also took a lot of work. The amount of time it'd take to refit armors in comparison to developing mounts sounds like a cakewalk. And because of how greatly mounts have been integrated, I'd hate for them to try pushing the boundaries of movement again...focus on things like new races or multiple elite specs for the next expansion.

Archived