Fashion Wars? Yeah, right.

While I disagree with the way the OP presented his argument, I do wish there was a barber option for haircuts/facial hair/horns. A gold sink.

I do think total makeover kits should remain gem-bound. At this rate though, I just wish there was a way to preview hairstyles/facial hair before committing to shelling out gems for a Makeover kit.

@pharazonic.8694 said:While I disagree with the way the OP presented his argument, I do wish there was a barber option for haircuts/facial hair/horns. A gold sink.

I do think total makeover kits should remain gem-bound. At this rate though, I just wish there was a way to preview hairstyles/facial hair before committing to shelling out gems for a Makeover kit.

Does the makeover NPC not work for allowing you to see changes before spending?

Also, OP, you can alter your character's appearance without spending real money.

I totally pay for my Hairstyles....however there IS an option to get an item from black lion chests...and when you dont wanna try out your luck for getting this really rare item you can buy it with gold from other players (it IS expensive, but when you save your gold....):https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Permanent_Hair_Stylist_Contract

Also @"pharazonic.8694" there IS in fact a preview for all hairstyles, colours, faces, etc without buying a makeover-kit: simply go tohttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Trading_Company_HQorhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Vaultsand there sreach for an npc, in the vaults it should be near the entrance on the left side and in the trading company it should be somewhere at the right side...https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Makeover_Previewhere are some more locations....also you can there preview with one character both male and female options, but for other races you need to switch your character to the race you want to preview....

hope i could help. ;)

@pharazonic.8694 said:While I disagree with the way the OP presented his argument, I do wish there was a barber option for haircuts/facial hair/horns. A gold sink.

Gold sink = Convert Gold to 250 gems, buy self style hair kit.

I don't understand why (and this is not directed at you) people fail to realize when making these arguments that you can buy anything in the gem store with enough gold.

I've had basically 2 hair styles as long as I can remember - loose and ponytail. Maybe for that reason it's never bothered me that I can't freely change my characters hair in most games.

Although I do like the way Elder Scrolls Online does it. In that game you pay to unlock hair styles and then you can freely switch between the new one/s and the characters original style any time you want.

I hate to say I've had the same hair style for over 20 years, brush hair in the morning, gather together at nape of neck and fasten the ponytail clip in place.

Changing hair style and colour is really expensive, i've overheard some work colleagues talking about how much they can spend at the salon each month, 250 gems is quite cheap really and you don't have to keep paying out to have your roots retouched.

@Ashen.2907 said:Does the makeover NPC not work for allowing you to see changes before spending?

@"Hibiskus.8294" said:I totally pay for my Hairstyles....however there IS an option to get an item from black lion chests...and when you dont wanna try out your luck for getting this really rare item you can buy it with gold from other players (it IS expensive, but when you save your gold....):https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Permanent_Hair_Stylist_Contract

Thanks guys! I learned something new today! Goes to show what I know XD I've used a kit once and I wish I knew this before!

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Gold sink = Convert Gold to 250 gems, buy self style hair kit.

I don't understand why (and this is not directed at you) people fail to realize when making these arguments that you can buy anything in the gem store with enough gold.

I guess I am just used to a different business model, but you are right. The gem store is a gold sink of sorts.

Do map completionGet free Black Lion Keys as completion rewardsOpen >5 chestsGet 4 Hair Self-Styling kits

Problem?

It happened to me over the last weeks. I've got 2 total make over kits, 4 hair styling kits out of 10 chests and I haven't bought a single key myself. Just completed maps while I was going for my Gift of Exploration anyway.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Pifil.5193" said:Dunno about you but I pay for my haircuts.

Not with your kitten blood.

Edit: plus I do my haircuts myself, when I even get them. Barbers are too stupid to get it rite.

It's just as "free" to give yourself a hair cut as it is to buy one in game: you traded your personal time to save yourself some RL cash. In GW2, you can farm a little bit extra. Total Makeover Kit is 350 gems, about 100 gold. That takes several hours to gather in game, which admittedly is much more than the 15-30 minutes you probably spend on cutting your own hair in RL. But not everything deserves a 1:1 correspondence between RL and in-game.

But besides that, the analogy is moot. We have little idea of just how sensitive ANet's income would be to reducing or eliminating the costs of fashion. Or whether or what they might have to charge for in order to make up for the loss.

Personally, I'm happy that ANet charges for cosmetics, so we don't have to pay a monthly subscription.

Archived