How to adjust the fans

I bought a 1080 ti video card just for this game. I had a Radeon 580 xxx. However, I notice my fans not on the video card but on the case itself seem to be running a little loudly. Are they supposed to be running almost at full speed even when not in a game? I think people call them RPM or RBM. They are running at 400 RBM right now. Maybe just me. I thought they would slow down when not in the game. It's just literally sitting here browsing games and it's like them at max speed.

The case fans can usually be controlled by the BIOS which you enter upon start up of your system, you may have to check the motherboard handbook for these settings if you are not comfortable with using the BIOS, I personally would consider 400rpm pretty low for a case fan, and it shouldn't be making that much noise ( depending on the fan itself of course )

If its a recent thing on the case fans, make sure they are dust free, sometimes fans can become clogged, etc, so yea make sure nothing is blocking them, ( good air flow etc )

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:The case fans can usually be controlled by the BIOS which you enter upon start up of your system, you may have to check the motherboard handbook for these settings if you are not comfortable with using the BIOS, I personally would consider 400rpm pretty low for a case fan, and it shouldn't be making that much noise ( depending on the fan itself of course )

If its a recent thing on the case fans, make sure they are dust free, sometimes fans can become clogged, etc, so yea make sure nothing is blocking them, ( good air flow etc )

I have a cooler master fan installed also. I recently bought new fans.My video card is sitting at 30 degrees right now. The fans on it, don't even kick in till it reaches 60 or 70. The guy just recently used an air blower and blew out all the dust. Maybe I'm nitpicking. It feels like it shouldn't be loud browsing the web. Maybe they are always this loud. Shouldn't it be near silent if I'm just browsing the web? The speed of fans seems to be running same speed when I play video games.

Frequently clean your hardware and fans using compressed air and a small, soft brush.

The case fans shouldn't be "loud", but of course they can never be completely silent. As mentioned above, case fans are being controlled via BIOS settings and are not connected to your GPU fan speed.

You can adjust GPU fan speed using the manufacturer's software that comes with it (for instance, I have an ASUS card and use GPU Tweak II). There, you can set the GPU fan(s) to run at a certain percentage at specific temperatures, for example.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I bought a 1080 ti video card just for this game.

Well... that card is far far far more powerful than you'd ever need to run for GW2, but anyways on to your question:

Sometimes simply reseating a card can solve the issue but I am pretty confident there won't be any BIOS settings to adjust your VDC's fan speeds, unlike what a few of the above posters have suggested. You would maybe find options in it to adjust other fans that are connected to the motherboard, but at most you will probably find for your video card in it will be onboard/offboard priority settings or disabling/enabling it which aren't very useful for this situation since it is specifically the VDC's own fans that are too loud.

Anyways, you can download and install MSI Afterburner to see and adjust the fan speeds of your VDC if necessary. It's possible that your card is having a cooling problem resulting in it operating at higher than normal speeds, but it's hard to say without being there myself to see in person.

My case fans came with a slide to adjust the fan speed and they are the only ones I buy when building a new pc. I also go for the more silent fans that cost a bit more.These should work well for you. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

@"lunarminx.3624" said:My case fans came with a slide to adjust the fan speed and they are the only ones I buy when building a new pc. I also go for the more silent fans that cost a bit more.These should work well for you. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Thanks this is going be major helpful. I appreciate fans that are extremely quiet. These are going to do very nicely.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

You bought that for a game that still chugs on modern machines because of an outdated engine that still uses DirectX 9. I hope you're proud of yourself.

I have to get win 10 to play it on 1080?

It doesn't matter what version of windows you have, Win10 supports dx9/10/10.1/11 and 12, but Gw2 is a DX9 game.

What Xeno was trying to say is that your GPU is overkill for "just gw2". You could have got a GPU for a quarter of the cost and it would have been more than sufficient.

@MrFayth.3546 said:

You bought that for a game that still chugs on modern machines because of an outdated engine that still uses DirectX 9. I hope you're proud of yourself.

I have to get win 10 to play it on 1080?

It doesn't matter what version of windows you have, Win10 supports dx9/10/10.1/11 and 12, but Gw2 is a DX9 game.

What Xeno was trying to say is that your GPU is overkill for "just gw2". You could have got a GPU for a quarter of the cost and it would have been more than sufficient.

Yea I'm thinking that too, see when I originally played this game I had a radeon xxx but it became so hot when I played the game, I asked on the fourms they said you can play the game on "medium settings" I thought it was video card running hot so I got a new video card however when working on installing it the guy said it was the fans making it hot they were broken so now I have this expensive card but i only play guild wars 2 so...yea it sucks

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:Yea I'm thinking that too, see when I originally played this game I had a radeon xxx but it became so hot when I played the game, I asked on the fourms they said you can play the game on "medium settings" [...]

I remember that discussion vividly (as it was just recently), and I remember telling you repeatedly of methods to regulate temperatures properly by GPU fan control (others told you, too, so it is not true that "lowering your in-game settings" was named as the main solution for your problem). Not certain how that made you buy a new card, though. Were you unable to follow the instructions posted? Are you also unable to find the GPU fan control for your new nVidia card?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:Yea I'm thinking that too, see when I originally played this game I had a radeon xxx but it became so hot when I played the game, I asked on the fourms they said you can play the game on "medium settings" [...]

I remember that discussion vividly (as it was just recently), and I remember telling you repeatedly of methods to regulate temperatures properly by GPU fan control (others told you, too, so it is not true that lowering your in-game settings was named as the main solution for your problem). Not certain how that made you buy a new card -- were you unable to follow the instructions posted?

I assumed it was the video card. I thought it was getting hot because of the pressure of the graphics. I could only play for 30 minutes or an hour at a time. Some people mentioned I could only play this game on xxx Radeon on lower settings I decided than to upgrade the card. Turns out a few blades on my fan was missing and might have been it. I discovered that when he was installing the new card. At that point, it was too late. It wasn't the GPU settings control. It was fans on the card. I believe.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I assumed it was the video card. I thought it was getting hot because of the pressure of the graphics.

Yes, it was -- and that's exactly what GPU fans are for.

Turns out a few blades on my fan was missing and might have been it. I discovered that when he was installing the new card.

How on Earth does one physically damage a hardware component like that? :o

At that point, it was too late. It wasn't the GPU settings control. It was fans on the card. I believe.

Okay, but you are still complaining about overheating issues, so that means you are still having trouble finding the respective settings to control your GPU fan speeds, no?

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

Yea I'm thinking that too, see when I originally played this game I had a radeon xxx but it became so hot when I played the game, I asked on the fourms they said you can play the game on "medium settings" I thought it was video card running hot so I got a new video card however when working on installing it the guy said it was the fans making it hot they were broken so now I have this expensive card but i only play guild wars 2 so...yea it sucks

No it doesn't , if you ever change games you will be fine. I always advise family when buying parts for me to build go with more than you ever think you will need.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Just curious, what case are you using? It honestly sounds like you may be lacking sufficient airflow in the case itself.

Also, do you still have the RX 580? Also, what CPU are you using?

Right, I thought of that too! especially if the tower goes on a carpeted floor and the PS is blowing the heat under it. Or he may have used an old tower with a new ps that is blowing the heat down and there's no vent.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Just curious, what case are you using? It honestly sounds like you may be lacking sufficient airflow in the case itself.

Also, do you still have the RX 580? Also, what CPU are you using?

It's an older case. One of those custom bulit ones. > @lunarminx.3624 said:

The last pc I built had a wire that had to run over the videocard and it was noisy because the wire was hitting the fan. Open it up while running and see what is making the noise. it could be something as simple as that.

I didn't want to open it up and it accidentally not be able to put back on

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:It's an older case. One of those custom bulit ones.

Sounds like insufficient airflow. Hardware these days generally call for 1-2 intake fans, 1-3 exhaust fans to keep the internal systems from getting too hot. Old cases had a max fan size of 80-92mm, which were great back in the day. But for a 1080 you want at least 120-140mm all around.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:It's an older case. One of those custom bulit ones.

Sounds like insufficient airflow. Hardware these days generally call for 1-2 intake fans, 1-3 exhaust fans to keep the internal systems from getting too hot. Old cases had a max fan size of 80-92mm, which were great back in the day. But for a 1080 you want at least 120-140mm all around.

Maybe I need to get a new case. It's just the fans at 400 RPM it is still louder than usual or maybe. It's just me. I try to be as silent as possible.

Archived