full tank core warrior in wvw

sneakytails.5629

I am pretty bored right now in WvW with my warriors. Right now I have the following active Warriors on a semi-rotation.

1. Axe/Axe - Rifle (Core) Full zerker gear with scrapper runes, focus on might generation with weapon runes and damage reduction on food. (to offset the lack of a shield)
  2. Rifle-Sword/Shield (Core) Full zerker gear with eagle runes, focus on quickness with skills, traits and weapon runes.
  3. Dagger/Dagger-Sword/Shield (Spellbreaker) Full Marauder gear with eagle runes, focus on burst with dagger 3/4 and sustain through food and traits.
  4. Sword/Torch-Longbow (Berserker) Mix of Trailblazer and Dire gear, focus on condi damage and duration.
  5. Warrior #5 no set build.....

So right now I have no real set build for my 5th Warrior and I do not really run anything tanky but I would like to. I am just wondering what kind of build I could go for this character. I just want something different. I dont really use Mace all that often, or Hammer for that matter. I kind of feel those weapons are power creeped.

For the most part I run solo or in very small groups of less than 10.

+1 for not running a great sword on any of your builds.. i have 3k hours on warrior and probs 2.9k of them have been with a great sword lol

so errr. maybeh a build with a great sword?? :D lol i run classic greathammer spellbreaker frontline (drop strength for SB traitline and go marauders/ zerk) with ma guild so maybeh try something like that and elaborate your own twist idk broski

-Drunk Tibbs- Pce o7

Yeah, maybe I will try GS. Old-school GS-Axe/Shield or even throw some mace all up in there. Warrior #6 incoming! Maybe run some Durability runes for once in my life.

I still want to keep Warrior #5 for something pure tank, even though its mostly power creeped, and other classes can do the tank thing much, much better. Maybe a shout warrior or something idk.

I put my warrior on the back burner as I was testing various thief builds since patch but have since started roaming again with a warrior core. I am using Sword/mace in one build. While I only WvW early impressions are positive. The tremor is a three second knockdown and while slow and "clunky" is very effective when it hits but crushing blowcoupled with the changes to savage leap and all of the other sword boosts allow significant damage to come out of this combo. Crushing blow on its own has hit enemy players for 10k and that leap is a very good gap closer on a low cooldown. The main issue I am having is with Conditions as it hard to spec adequate cleanses. I might have to resort to sigils to do this job or even consider a change in the heal.

If you can pull off a knockdown with tremor and then a crushing blow final thrust combo you lay out a lot of hurt.

• 6 months later...

People say tanking is pointless but those are the same who exclusively play in zergs. If you're like me and like to roam then try FULL tank warrior. All Sentinel gear, Sword/Shield + Mace/Warhorn. For traits I'd advise Strength/Defense/Tactics. This build has sustain, durability, mobility, endless Might and the FEELING of being a hulking wall of unbreakable steel. No melee can take you, ranged professions will kill themselves against your retaliation and reflects and condition damage is useless with your endless cleansing.

1.- Begs for a "come kill me"2.- Is better than build 1, but lack of mobility is what gets warrior kill most of the time in WvW and on top of that it is susceptible to fight reset if you are winning.3.- You have more mobility but not enough to keep up with core kiters.4.- Another build with slow mobility.

These build would be great if your enemies would stick around to fight you when they are losing, but that is not going to be the case in WvW.Unfortunately, the best (and the most frustrating) build for warrior is the melee build with GS and Shield + Sword/dagger/axe.These offer you the highest mobility for warrior but it comes at a cost of losing range and chasing your opponent mindlessly for minutes around the map.

0 mobility for 1200 range or fast mobility for 130 range.It is a tough choice!I choose to trade off fast mobility for 130 range. It does get boring and you end up with tired fingers.

Archived