[API] Unique Account Name to GUID — Guild Wars 2 Forums

ArenaNet Forum Chat for September: The next forum conversation, on the topic of our September 18th release -- including Living World Season 4 Episode 4, a new raid, a new legendary, and more -- invites member questions and comments from Tuesday (9/25) through Friday afternoon Pacific Time (9/28). Devs will be responding through early October, as their schedules allow. Join the special September 2018 AFC Subforum to take part. More info here.

[API] Unique Account Name to GUID

Hey,

I have a question, but I do not think it is possible.

But the question is: Is it possible to get a user through his unique account name his GUID without his access key? The reason for this is because you can not rely on his unique account name because it can change.

Sincerely,
Jur Dekker

Comments

  • Nokomis.5076Nokomis.5076 Member ✭✭✭

    with account name you mean like jurtjee.8943? It is nearly impossible to change this name. Only the support will ever change your name if it violates any naming policy.

    Was I able to help you or give you a hint? Click on Helpful and/or Thumbs up, I would appreciate it alot!
    When you encounter a bug ingame, at first you should file a ticket via the ingame command /bug, as only this way the devs will know exactly where you were, when the bug happened.

  • No, this is impossible. The way the API is built, is that you need an account API key to get access to the account. This includes the account GUID.

  • jurtjee.8943jurtjee.8943 Member ✭✭

    unique account name Can be change by Arenanet. So there is no way that it can be done?

  • Nokomis.5076Nokomis.5076 Member ✭✭✭

    As stated even ArenaNet does this only in very special cases.

    Out of curiousity, what is it you want to achieve with it?

    Was I able to help you or give you a hint? Click on Helpful and/or Thumbs up, I would appreciate it alot!
    When you encounter a bug ingame, at first you should file a ticket via the ingame command /bug, as only this way the devs will know exactly where you were, when the bug happened.

  • jurtjee.8943jurtjee.8943 Member ✭✭
    edited April 8, 2018

    I had a username search bar for the guild website, but lately a name was change and we count find hem anymore. So I want to find a solution for that.

  • @jurtjee.8943 said:
    I had a username search bar for the guild website, but lately a name was change and we count find hem anymore. So I want to find a solution for that.

    Ask the player?

    It's true ANet can change account IDs, but they choose to never do so unless they have exhausted all other possible solutions to whatever ails the account owner.

    Generally we do not offer display name changes ...because of a very hard and fast rule: Don't Break Your Customer's Account.

    Changing display names can break your ability for social interactions in the game. And by break, I am speaking of users whose display names were changed in 2014 who still are broken today. The way display names are handled, we only change them in very specific circumstances and often even then only on a case-by-case basis after checking the account's age and situation. We always warn users, even if we do offer the change, that things could break. And the worst is: There is no way for us to 'unbreak' things. once broken, you're stuck and nothing we do will fix you.

    ... If we change your display name, we risk breaking your guild, your in-game mail, your ability to interact with the trade post and your whispers. In an MMO, we'd risk dooming a user to not being able to interact on any of the common social channels for days, weeks - or years.

    If it's something like a first name, chances are we deny. You can always ask to have your ticket be escalated and have a supervisor review it. But if we say no to a display name change, we say no because we are likely to utterly wreck your game account. And we simply do not want to risk that, as we cannot un-wreck.

    Thus another possibility is that the account name was changed and it broke something, which is why you can't find your "missing" member.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • jurtjee.8943jurtjee.8943 Member ✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @jurtjee.8943 said:
    I had a username search bar for the guild website, but lately a name was change and we count find hem anymore. So I want to find a solution for that.

    Ask the player?

    It's true ANet can change account IDs, but they choose to never do so unless they have exhausted all other possible solutions to whatever ails the account owner.

    Generally we do not offer display name changes ...because of a very hard and fast rule: Don't Break Your Customer's Account.

    Changing display names can break your ability for social interactions in the game. And by break, I am speaking of users whose display names were changed in 2014 who still are broken today. The way display names are handled, we only change them in very specific circumstances and often even then only on a case-by-case basis after checking the account's age and situation. We always warn users, even if we do offer the change, that things could break. And the worst is: There is no way for us to 'unbreak' things. once broken, you're stuck and nothing we do will fix you.

    ... If we change your display name, we risk breaking your guild, your in-game mail, your ability to interact with the trade post and your whispers. In an MMO, we'd risk dooming a user to not being able to interact on any of the common social channels for days, weeks - or years.

    If it's something like a first name, chances are we deny. You can always ask to have your ticket be escalated and have a supervisor review it. But if we say no to a display name change, we say no because we are likely to utterly wreck your game account. And we simply do not want to risk that, as we cannot un-wreck.

    Thus another possibility is that the account name was changed and it broke something, which is why you can't find your "missing" member.

    Thanks, so i can store the unique account name inside my database for the search result?

  • @jurtjee.8943 said:
    Thanks, so i can store the unique account name inside my database for the search result?

    You could.

    Should you? I suppose it depends on how you're using it. I can see the appeal of using the game's display name as a GUID, but near as I can tell, that's exactly why it's problematic for ANet to adjust it even for good reasons. I'd prefer for a GUID to be independent of human preferences and naming conventions.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.