[API] Unique Account Name to GUID

jurtjee.8943

Hey,

I have a question, but I do not think it is possible.

But the question is: Is it possible to get a user through his unique account name his GUID without his access key? The reason for this is because you can not rely on his unique account name because it can change.

Sincerely,Jur Dekker

@"jurtjee.8943" said:I had a username search bar for the guild website, but lately a name was change and we count find hem anymore. So I want to find a solution for that.

Ask the player?

It's true ANet can change account IDs, but they choose to never do so unless they have exhausted all other possible solutions to whatever ails the account owner.

Generally we do not offer display name changes ...because of a very hard and fast rule:
Don't Break Your Customer's Account

Changing display names can break your ability for social interactions in the game. And by break, I am speaking of users whose display names were changed in 2014 who still are broken today. The way display names are handled, we only change them in very specific circumstances and often even then only on a case-by-case basis after checking the account's age and situation. We always warn users, even if we do offer the change, that things could break. And the worst is:
There is no way for us to 'unbreak' things. once broken, you're stuck and nothing we do will fix you.

... If we change your display name, we risk breaking your guild, your in-game mail, your ability to interact with the trade post and your whispers. In an MMO, we'd risk dooming a user to not being able to interact on any of the common social channels for days, weeks - or years.

If it's something like a first name, chances are we deny. You can always ask to have your ticket be escalated and have a supervisor review it. But if we say no to a display name change, we say no because we are likely to utterly wreck your game account. And we simply do not want to risk that, as we cannot un-wreck.

Thus another possibility is that the account name was changed and it broke something, which is why you can't find your "missing" member.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"jurtjee.8943" said:I had a username search bar for the guild website, but lately a name was change and we count find hem anymore. So I want to find a solution for that.

Ask the player?

It's true ANet
can
change account IDs, but they choose to never do so unless they have exhausted all other possible solutions to whatever ails the account owner.

Generally we do not offer display name changes ...because of a very hard and fast rule:
Don't Break Your Customer's Account

Changing display names can break your ability for social interactions in the game. And by break, I am speaking of users whose display names were changed in 2014 who still are broken today. The way display names are handled, we only change them in very specific circumstances and often even then only on a case-by-case basis after checking the account's age and situation. We always warn users, even if we do offer the change, that things could break. And the worst is:
There is no way for us to 'unbreak' things. once broken, you're stuck and nothing we do will fix you.

... If we change your display name, we risk breaking your guild, your in-game mail, your ability to interact with the trade post and your whispers. In an MMO, we'd risk dooming a user to not being able to interact on any of the common social channels for days, weeks - or years.

If it's something like a first name, chances are we deny. You can always ask to have your ticket be escalated and have a supervisor review it. But if we say no to a display name change, we say no because we are likely to utterly wreck your game account. And we simply do not want to risk that, as we cannot un-wreck.

Thus another possibility is that the account name was changed and it broke something, which is why you can't find your "missing" member.

Thanks, so i can store the unique account name inside my database for the search result?

@jurtjee.8943 said:Thanks, so i can store the unique account name inside my database for the search result?

You could.

Should you? I suppose it depends on how you're using it. I can see the appeal of using the game's display name as a GUID, but near as I can tell, that's exactly why it's problematic for ANet to adjust it even for good reasons. I'd prefer for a GUID to be independent of human preferences and naming conventions.

Archived