I... I don't see the point of the gathering tools change... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

I... I don't see the point of the gathering tools change...

Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited April 10, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I mean, what is the point? Instead of juggling the tools around my characters, I juggle the glyphs...? I just want the special, unbreakable tools to be an account-wide thing already.

If there is something I am missing here, do enlighten me please.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

<1

Comments

• Limodriver.4106Limodriver.4106 Member ✭✭✭

Anet many of us will pay $$$ for aura wardrobe

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the point is that (some) players have been asking for some sort of ability to customize their gathering tools appearance, etc for years.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    The point is that i can finally return to my original Molten Set and give it the boon of my Unbound Magic Tools

Exactly and now people can buy the new ones because they like the skin and not lose out on the bonuses.

I know I've been using the Unbound Axe and Sickle and the Watchwork Pick since they came out, no matter how cool I thought some of the newer skins were I wouldn't buy one because I don't want to lose out on the benefits of the others. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Khisanth.2948 said:
    Well it gives a reason to buy the no frills gathering tools set now.

I can pay 24001800 gems for a set and apply the skin I want instead of paying 3000 gems for a set.

But you'd have to buy the expensive set for their glyphs, too...

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• It's also a sink (for some people) of transmutation charges. For example, you can buy the horribly-slow volatile or unbound sickles and apply the consortium or golem skins... and voila: you farm v- or u-magic much more quickly. (Some people have more xmutes than they can spend, even if some of us never have enough).

You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

Is it as convenient as needing to only buy one slot of everlasting tools? No, of course not.
    It's still a massive improvement over the prior status quo.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

No Skin for the -tron Gathering Tools. Me disappointed.

• BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭

I would have preferred to pick my gylphs like i would pick my gathering tool skins, and have it as an account bound upgrade.
    A better idea would be to allow them to stack :D

• @BobbyT.7192 said:
    I would have preferred to pick my gylphs like i would pick my gathering tool skins, and have it as an account bound upgrade.
    A better idea would be to allow them to stack :D

While those sound nice, they also don't sound very realistic: stacking would make them too rewarding, and account-wide upgrade would undermine sales (both on the gem shop for tools, and on the TP for these glyphs)

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• @Raizel.8175 said:
    No Skin for the -tron Gathering Tools. Me disappointed.

I think you might have figured this out yourself: you need to logon to the character who has these equipped or in inventory before the skins unlocked (same as the wardrobe has always worked, although we only have to worry about this when there's a huge mechanics change, as there was today).

• Setz.9675Setz.9675 Member ✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018

Personally I like the update to the gathering tools but there is one big problem.
    I have 9 infinite gathering tools and 4 glyphs +1 from the trading post.
    so I have 4 infinite tools without glyphs unless Im going to spend like 800g+ to buy them as of right now.
    I dont understand why the infinite gathering tools without special loot didn't get a turn in option to get the infite skin with an upgrade box which contains the glyphs for cloth/leather/industry/movement speed and instead these upgrades are only to be found in the black lion trading post.

There is a set of 3 infinite gathering tools for 1800 gems at this moment but you get no glyphs with them. So you get to spend 1800 gems on the tools and another 600g+ to get 3 glyphs from the trading post.
    Fused alliance mining pick: 1000 gems
    Shifting sands mining pick: 1000gems but you get a + 33% chance for an additional mining strike glyph.

Why would anyone in their right mind buy gathering tools that dont provide glyphs? What is the point of outplaying myself this way?

• Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018

buy buy buy .... cmon buy the new stuff

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

I must be doing something wrong, it won't let me put a glyph on any of the volatile magic limited use tools I have. Is it because you can't put them on something that already has an ability, even if that ability isn't a glyph?

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• @notebene.3190 said:

I must be doing something wrong, it won't let me put a glyph on any of the volatile magic limited use tools I have. Is it because you can't put them on something that already has an ability, even if that ability isn't a glyph?

Exactly. You can only have one "bonus" per tool.

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@notebene.3190 said:

Exactly. You can only have one "bonus" per tool.

Ah okay, thanks!

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• usnedward.9023usnedward.9023 Member ✭✭✭

Ask and ye shall receive. Receive and ye shall complain. LOL. Personally I think it's a move in the right direction where ANET is listening to the community that wants stuffs and have been up'ing the ante as of late.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I've been waiting for a way to customize my Gather tools for a LONG time now. This changes are even better than I could have hoped for.

• After buying unlimited tools for all 9 characters, and then buying the unbound magic unlimited tools and now having to swap them between characters while the other 27 tools sit on a mule, I had really hoped for the tool slots to be turned into shared slots. /sigh

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018

While a true wardrobe with the ability for each char to have both unlimited harvesting tools (in account bound harvesting tool specific slots) and the ability to have simultaneous individual skins per char would have been the best option, the ability to mix and match skins and bonuses are a step forward. You still need to use the account wide inventory slots or keep a set on your char but at least you can now have a specific skin and a specific bonus together. So it’s an improvement on the old system, not a completely new system.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oglaf.1074 said:
    I mean, what is the point? Instead of juggling the tools around my characters, I juggle the glyphs...? I just want the special, unbreakable tools to be an account-wide thing already.

Maybe to let players customize the appearance and effects... and function of the various gather tools?

That would be my guess considering the changes that were made...

• More deflation of materials

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

I can pay 24001800 gems for a set and apply the skin I want instead of paying 3000 gems for a set.

Or get them from blacklion chests, true.
    I think you're missing the point. Anet's point is not to make it cheaper for you. The reason for a change is because the tools aren't equal. Some offer better bonuses than others. Before, you had to choose - do you want the animation you like, or do you want the good gathering bonus? Now you don't need to - you can put the bonus on the set you like best.

This is the change that has been asked for before.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

I think you're missing the point. Anet's point is not to make it cheaper for you. The reason for a change is because the tools aren't equal. Some offer better bonuses than others. Before, you had to choose - do you want the animation you like, or do you want the good gathering bonus? Now you don't need to - you can put the bonus on the set you like best.

or buy them on the TP

• Supz.9836Supz.9836 Member ✭✭

I have bought 2 sets of infinite tools, I have also just bought alot of gems today to buy other items, but I am sad they implemented this change.

I have spent and will continue to spend alot of money on this game but I feel this is a rather cheap money grab.

If it goes the direction I think it may go, I will stop playing.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Forgive me for not jumping for joy at the prospect of things gated behind loot box gambling. Further more, you’d still have to outright buy most of the special tools for their Glyph; they are not in the chests.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018

According to the blog post the order of things will be.

New tool + new glyph
    Then glyph gets added to blc later.

Not sure where that puts the existing tools. At least it means I won't need to get the new pick in order to get the glyph. Just need to wait.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Forgive me for not jumping for joy at the prospect of things gated behind loot box gambling. Further more, you’d still have to outright buy most of the special tools for their Glyph; they are not in the chests.

I think you have to understand that Anet isn't going to change things that will make them less money. They still want to sell you unlimited tools and having a more flexible skins/effects/bonus system is how they are going to do it. They care little if an individual player thinks glyphs are too much or locked in BLC's. I count us LUCKY that we can swap a tool with a glyph we prefer between characters with shared INV slots or buy the glyphs in the TP at all ... There are lots of smart compromises here and they FAVOUR the players.

• Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would rather they made the gathering tools account-wide, that would have been a much better change so you didn't have to play musical chairs with them if you wanted multiple characters to use them.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    The point is that i can finally return to my original Molten Set and give it the boon of my Unbound Magic Tools

This. I made this suggestion some time ago and recently again. It's that I love my mine-r-trons, but love the profit from the Watchwork pick more. Combining the ability from Watchwork with Mine-r-Tron's appearance is a total win!

No longer posting or playing.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

I think you have to understand that Anet isn't going to change things that will make them less money. They still want to sell you unlimited tools and having a more flexible skins/effects/bonus system is how they are going to do it. They care little if an individual player thinks glyphs are too much or locked in BLC's. I count us LUCKY that we can swap a tool with a glyph we prefer between characters with shared INV slots or buy the glyphs in the TP at all ... There are lots of smart compromises here and they FAVOUR the players.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

I’m not against Anet making money with premium content, quite the opposite. I’m against gambling. Gambling is never in the “favour if the players”. Get outta here with that Stockholm Syndrome nonsense.

• Why? It's very profitable receiving 60 additional copperlings every 3-6 nodes, isnt it?-.-

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

Great upgrade for a guy like me who had multiple sets of tools with different animations. I collect the animations I like but I wouldn't buy the same tool twice. Maybe I want to use the molten mining pick skin on three characters. Now I can. That to me, is another way to customize my character. I'm pretty much drowning in transmutation charges just now (I have over 1100) so that part isn't an issue for me.

And the advent of the leather and cloth farming will eventually start affected mat prices, if it hasn't already.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oglaf.1074 said:
    I mean, what is the point? Instead of juggling the tools around my characters, I juggle the glyphs...?

There are new glyphs that none of the tools have available, so that is the point.

Also, glad one can change the tools' appearance, because some models gather faster than others, or one might dislike one tool's sound etc.

I just want the special, unbreakable tools to be an account-wide thing already.

Agreed. It would be need to not have to constantly juggle them between characters.

• Cyanchiv.2583Cyanchiv.2583 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

I’m not against Anet making money with premium content, quite the opposite. I’m against gambling. Gambling is never in the “favour if the players”. Get outta here with that Stockholm Syndrome nonsense.

The new glyphs in the TP are already comparable to the cost of buying tools in the gem store in the past, and that's with the initial high prices. There is no need to 'gamble' when glyphs can be purchased directly for less cost than what they were in the gem store.

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    I don't see the point of pretending to hesitate in written text.

Forum-writing isn't really formal written text. It's more like sitting around with some mates shooting the breeze, and so people find ways to express the same extra things they can express with their voices - dramatic ... pauses; um, er, hesitations; emphasis stress on important words; and so on.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Manpag.6421Manpag.6421 Member ✭✭✭

This is a massive improvement over the old system. 'Regular' permanent tools were a waste of money before compared to Unbound, Dog and Watchwork tools because they didn't offer bonuses. Now, by essentially splitting bonuses and skins, you still have incentive to buy whatever skin you like AND be making your gold back gradually in bonus items.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's nothing more than fashon wars 2 applied to gathering tools.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Forum-writing isn't really formal written text. It's more like sitting around with some mates shooting the breeze, and so people find ways to express the same extra things they can express with their voices - dramatic ... pauses; um, er, hesitations; emphasis stress on important words; and so on.

So there isn't a point. I knew it.

• And we still don't have account-wide shared gathering tools slots... Guess I still won't be buying unbreakable tools any time soon.

• @Crystal Master.4169 said:
    And we still don't have account-wide shared gathering tools slots... Guess I still won't be buying unbreakable tools any time soon.

But we do have shared slots. It's not hard swapping the tools between characters.

• Drarnor Kunoram.5180Drarnor Kunoram.5180 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018

The one thing I want to see happen in regards to this new setup ASAP is getting glyphs added to the black lion statuettes. Having new ones only coming from chest RNG is annoying (yes, you can buy them off the TP, those ones came from chest RNG).

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• Traveller.7496Traveller.7496 Member ✭✭✭

I never realized some people bought more than one set of infinite harvesting tools.

I was hoping for true account bound tools though, as a quality of life upgrade, so you could equip them on all characters without the need to swap them around. But I guess they went the completely opposite direction and I was reminded that "it won't happen since people pay for that QoL" via shared inventory amongst other things.

I guess I'm just a dreamer when I wanted one set of account bound infinite harvesting tools to be easily used by all my characters without buying extra stuff from the gemstore, for "convenience", of course.

• @Zaraki.5784 said:
    It's nothing more than fashon wars 2 applied to gathering tools.

ofc, lol, even gathering in gw2 has to be fun and exciting hehe.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Just some little fun options for gathering. You can buy the effects with karma if you want. Or you can just buy the same tools you always have and do what you have always done.
    No harm, no foul. Just more options.
    Your thread title though is pure cringe.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

You say that as if it matters what you think.

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:

You say that as if it matters what you think.

I have seen much worse, on this and other forums:

• Questions.
    • Bug.
    • Why?
    • Help me
    • Game is dying (frequent on the SWTOR forums ever since the day the game launched)
    • Launcher crushes

Yours does, at least, make it clear that you are mystified by something, and what that something is.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.