I... I don't see the point of the gathering tools change...

Oglaf.1074

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayakaru.6583 said:The point is that i can finally return to my original Molten Set and give it the boon of my Unbound Magic Tools

Exactly and now people can buy the new ones because they like the skin and not lose out on the bonuses.

I know I've been using the Unbound Axe and Sickle and the Watchwork Pick since they came out, no matter how cool I thought some of the newer skins were I wouldn't buy one because I don't want to lose out on the benefits of the others. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

It's also a sink (for some people) of transmutation charges. For example, you can buy the horribly-slow volatile or unbound sickles and apply the consortium or golem skins... and voila: you farm v- or u-magic much more quickly. (Some people have more xmutes than they can spend, even if some of us never have enough).

You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

Is it as convenient as needing to only buy one slot of everlasting tools? No, of course not.It's still a massive improvement over the prior status quo.

@BobbyT.7192 said:I would have preferred to pick my gylphs like i would pick my gathering tool skins, and have it as an account bound upgrade.A better idea would be to allow them to stack :D

While those sound nice, they also don't sound very realistic: stacking would make them too rewarding, and account-wide upgrade would undermine sales (both on the gem shop for tools, and on the TP for these glyphs)

@Raizel.8175 said:No Skin for the -tron Gathering Tools. Me disappointed.

I think you might have figured this out yourself: you need to logon to the character who has these equipped or in inventory before the skins unlocked (same as the wardrobe has always worked, although we only have to worry about this when there's a huge mechanics change, as there was today).

Personally I like the update to the gathering tools but there is one big problem.I have 9 infinite gathering tools and 4 glyphs +1 from the trading post.so I have 4 infinite tools without glyphs unless Im going to spend like 800g+ to buy them as of right now.I dont understand why the infinite gathering tools without special loot didn't get a turn in option to get the infite skin with an upgrade box which contains the glyphs for cloth/leather/industry/movement speed and instead these upgrades are only to be found in the black lion trading post.

There is a set of 3 infinite gathering tools for 1800 gems at this moment but you get no glyphs with them. So you get to spend 1800 gems on the tools and another 600g+ to get 3 glyphs from the trading post.Fused alliance mining pick: 1000 gemsShifting sands mining pick: 1000gems but you get a + 33% chance for an additional mining strike glyph.

Why would anyone in their right mind buy gathering tools that dont provide glyphs? What is the point of outplaying myself this way?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

I must be doing something wrong, it won't let me put a glyph on any of the volatile magic limited use tools I have. Is it because you can't put them on something that already has an ability, even if that ability isn't a glyph?

@notebene.3190 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

I must be doing something wrong, it won't let me put a glyph on any of the volatile magic limited use tools I have. Is it because you can't put them on something that already has an ability, even if that ability isn't a glyph?

Exactly. You can only have one "bonus" per tool.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:You can also move the functionality to any gathering tool. So if you want sprockets, but you farm leather, you can move the glyph to your axes. Even if you use limited ones, the glyph auto-drops to inventory, so you can reapply it (no cost for moving the glyph).

Exactly. You can only have one "bonus" per tool.

Ah okay, thanks!

While a true wardrobe with the ability for each char to have both unlimited harvesting tools (in account bound harvesting tool specific slots) and the ability to have simultaneous individual skins per char would have been the best option, the ability to mix and match skins and bonuses are a step forward. You still need to use the account wide inventory slots or keep a set on your char but at least you can now have a specific skin and a specific bonus together. So it’s an improvement on the old system, not a completely new system.

@Oglaf.1074 said:I mean, what is the point? Instead of juggling the tools around my characters, I juggle the glyphs...? I just want the special, unbreakable tools to be an account-wide thing already.

If there is something I am missing here, do enlighten me please.

Maybe to let players customize the appearance and effects... and function of the various gather tools?

That would be my guess considering the changes that were made...

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Well it gives a reason to buy the no frills gathering tools set now.

I can pay
1800 gems for a set and apply the skin I want instead of paying 3000 gems for a set.

But you'd have to buy the expensive set for their glyphs, too...Or get them from blacklion chests, true.I think you're missing the point. Anet's point is not to make it cheaper for you. The reason for a change is because the tools aren't equal. Some offer better bonuses than others. Before, you had to choose - do you want the animation you like, or do you want the good gathering bonus? Now you don't need to - you can put the bonus on the set you like best.

This is the change that has been asked for before.

Archived