Unbreakable tools worth it?

Just returned to the game last week after long absence and I see the tools are on sale with the new glyphs system.I never had a problem just buying a couple stacks of tools when I was at a trader and I’m not into all the flashy gem purchased ones. But I had no idea they was selling them with powers/glyphs on the tool.Is the powers/glyphs worth it? Do you find just having permanent tools that much of a quilty of life improvement?Probably hard to answer because there is no telling what kind of glyphs could be released later on.....thanks in advance.

Just want to make sure we're clear here: Glyphs and Permanent Gathering Tools are not the same thing.

Some Permanent Gathering Tools, like the Shifting Sand Mining Pick or the Unbound Magic Gathering Tools have unique Glyphs, but Glyphs are not exclusive to Permanent Gathering Tools. You can, for example, equip a Leather Harvesting Glyph to a run-of-the-mill Orichalcum Mining Pick for an additional chance of getting Leather materials while mining. These Glyphs can be obtained from Black Lion Chests, but also can be purchased from the Trading Post once players start putting them up. Glyphs are account bound and reusable, so you realistically only need one set. Furthermore, there several sets of gathering tools that can be purchased for 7,350 Karma that come with effects similar to many Glyphs (see picture below).

Now, are Permanent Gathering Tools worth it? It entirely depends on how you define "worth." If you look at it from a Gold-value proposition, the worth of these tools increase the more time you spend gathering in-game, i.e. if you spend a significant portion of your day going through all the major gathering nodes across Tyria, the Gold-value of the Permanent Tools increase as a direct correlation to the amount of Orichalcum gathering tools you're not buying.

For me, I own three of the "vanilla" Permanent Gathering Tools (Bone Pick, Consortium Harvesting Sickle, and Chop-It-All Logging Axe) because I valued the ability to forego the inventory management and frequent NPC visits I needed on each of my characters to ensure they all had a sufficient stock of gathering tools. In other words, I saw it as a time save, and even a means to save on inventory space.

On the other hand, if you're asking if the Glyphs are worth it, that would depend on the Glyph. Ones that provide bonus materials can probably be quantified by the Gold-value of the materials they generate, while Enhanced Gathering Tools save time by reducing the gathering time, therefore implying the ability to gather more nodes on more characters, for the particularly industrious player.

cpKu8we.jpg

Do you get to keep the glyph in those karma tools when they run out? I’m guessing not.I like to gather but don’t think I do enough to justify the tools price. If I need gold that bad where I spend most of my time farming I would just buy the gold with gems that I would have spent on tools anyways.My thoughts anyways, maybe flawed.

@Oglaf.1074 said:The Leather glyph is probably good for now, but who knows what it will end up doing to the prices of it in the long run, really.

That's kind of the point though. The reason why leather is so expensive compared to ore / wood is the difficulty in reliably farming it. Just finished leveling my Weaponsmith to 500 and working on my Leatherworker who is 430, and the difference is night and day, as evidenced by the fact that the weapons I crafted to level sold in the TP for about 1G or less (often I just salvaged them to get back some Ecto) while the leather gear sold in the TP for 6-8G.

I would have preferred that ANET just introduced a skinning knife or something that allowed us to skin those 'yellow' beasts you find in every zone, but at least they are doing something to combat the scarcity of leather.

@Biff.5312 said:Now that you can move the glyphs around I suspect it's no longer a great advantage over stacks of disposables. Just don't forget to move your glyph. I don't know if it can be lost if you exhaust the stack it's applied to.

The Glyph is returned to your inventory when the stack of tools runs out (was in the announcement article, but not the update notes, I believe).

Archived