Is it alright if I do not buy the expansions right away?

I've bought GW2 a long time ago (around 3 years ago I think?) I wasn't really able to get into it back then because I do not have a good internet connection. Now I'm giving the game another go but I was surprised that there two expansions already and free-to-play! (I was really surprised by this). I know I do not need the expansions to play the game properly but, How much am I missing out? (I'm starting from scratch again btw I kinda forgot the story) Would guilds accept members without expansions? (TBH I do not have the money right now to buy the expansions and even if I did I'd use for living expenses instead) Thanks in advance!

You don't need the expansions to enjoy the game, but there is a reasonable amount of new content locked behind the expansions that can certainly make the game feel a lot better. For one thing, there's the mastery system, which is a form of end game progression tied to your account. Through the mastery system, you can unlock the use of features such as gliders, mounts and other bonuses that make certain types of content a bit easier to deal with, such as fractals, etc. I find the mounts in particular to be a good enough reason to recommend getting the expansions when you can, because they make traveling and exploration a lot more fun.

Raids were also introduced in Heart of Thorns, so if you have any interesting in doing that content, you'll need to buy the expansion. And of course, there's obviously the new maps and content that comes with them, as well as the new living story seasons and their respective maps and story content, which you need the expansions to play the later seasons.

For a bit more info on each expansion, here are the official links below:

https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.comhttps://www.guildwars2.com/en/path-of-fire/

I can't foresee typical guilds rejecting members purely because they don't have the expansions, unless of course they are a raid guild or such, for obvious reasons. That being said, there's no real rush to get the expansions, because there's no gear treadmill or new level caps being introduced, so you won't fall behind, in that regard at least, if you wait a bit. I'd say buy it when you are comfortable enough to do so and have the funds, but in the meantime, getting back into the game and getting a feel for things can help you determine whether it will be worthwhile for you in the long run.

Well there is alot locked behind expansions but its only end game content (+ some useful features like mounts and glider). You dont need expansion to play and enjoy the game.

Here is my adivice1) buy living season 2 (exchange gold for gems) to get an extra story (if you are interested in story). If you like that then HoT story ties right to it. You can do the same with season 3 to get new maps but story there will spoil parts of HoT story. If you dont care about story season 3 is better purchase.

2) if you are interested in instanced pve and want to get to T4 fractals and (its more expensive without masteries but not impossible) i would adivice to pick warrior since its only class that has top tier pve build without need to have either expansion. It doesnt matter until T4 but at t4 some groups might not accept you. Be careful since it will be harder for ou to swap then for player with expansion

I am afraid for pvp and wvw without expansions you are at disadvantage

As other people have said you don't need the expansions right away. You won't be able to enter any of the expansion maps, or use the new mechanics like the revenant profession, mounts and gliders, but everything that was in the game at launch is still there and still available to you, so you'll have plenty to do for a while yet.

I can't imagine any reason guilds wouldn't accept you (except raid guilds, since raids are expansion content), but it might be worth mentioning when you join one that you're a new/returning player and that you don't have the expansions so that they know not to assume you know all about the game and have done everything. You may find you keep having to explain that to other players. There's a few people in my guild with secondary accounts that are base game-only and they keep having to remind people they can't "just use the springer" to get to hard to reach vistas, or they'll need to switch accounts to do Bounties. But you'll be able to do guild missions and join in with any other activities they're doing in core game maps with your guild, just like everyone else.

While I personally prefer doing the story in order if possible, getting the springer mount from PoF will save you a lot of wandering around trying to find the path up to mountain vistas and things. (Otherwise, you can use the wiki to find those tricky ways up. Type: /wiki into the chat line to access it in game, or for example /wiki tribulation rift ) And having the glider from HoT takes away a lot of the fear of falling.

But it's all quite possible to do without the expansions.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:I'd say that there is no need to get any expansion before you're max level. If you want to focus on doing story in sequence, maybe not even until you're done with LW Season 2.

Note: this assumes you have the base game from your previous playing, and aren't starting over on a f2p account.

Fully agree with this. Buy the expansions when you need them to progress, which isn't until post lvl 80/Season 2

The base F2P game is good. However, if you are looking to go into PvP then you may feel frustrated because a lot of the core classes don't do all that well against newer stuff. But, the PvP is great. Even though I've been playing since 2012, I still find myself playing Through the base content that's free.

Archived