PSA: Old Mount Adoption Licenses gone in 5 days

Personally I happen to like the Dajkah Lantern and Oceanic Ray.

If I were to theorize, there are two things that can be happening here:

(1): The mounts were always meant to be temporarily available, and this is all just a poorly advertised panic sale.(2): The new mount adoption license pricing system is going to be in place soon, but first they have to get rid of the old one.

Either way, I'm glad I turbo-ed all of the original mount adoption licenses. I suspected something like this might happen.

"It’s your last week to pick up the original Mount Adoption License before the Black Lion Stables close applications for the season."

I take that "close applications for the season" to mean they'll be back in and out of the gemstore like a lot of gemstore stuff: just artificial scarcity to drive sales.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:I'm betting they come back in a few months.

@"Pifil.5193" said:"It’s your last week to pick up the original Mount Adoption License before the Black Lion Stables close applications for the season."

I take that "close applications for the season" to mean they'll be back in and out of the gemstore like a lot of gemstore stuff: just artificial scarcity to drive sales.

Yup. We can be sure of these things: Death. Taxes. People blaming someone|something else when their team loses in PvP. And ANet removing stuff from the gem store before some of us have the wherewithal to purchase. (And ANet putting it back in the shop later, when we least expect it.)

@"GreyWolf.8670" said:Good. Now they can put them in the game as rewards where they belonged in the first place.

You realize that the concepts have nothing to do with each other, right? ANet adds/drops things from the gem shop regularly, to spike demand using the timeworn technique of artificial scarcity. Further, they've tripled down on the idea that these 30 Mountfits will only ever be available from RNG using this particular license.

Offering MountFits via content is a fun idea and can be implemented whether or not nearly every other skin is sold in the gem store.

However, notice that there aren't any gliders available via content, except from Legendary Backpack collections. According to GW2 Efficiency, and ignoring time|effort|skill, the material costs for those are:

That translates to 2400-4000 gems each, considerably more than the 300-800g for glider skins available in the gem store.

So while I'd love see MountFits available via some collection, too, I expect that realistically, they'll be more expensive, not cheaper. And that's before taking into account the work needed to finish.

@"Rogue Sol.1457" said:Hope they eventually come back with the option to PICK the mount you want. I don't really care about all the sparkly particle effect mounts.

I don't believe they will, Mike O'Brien said that basically nothing would change with these ones :

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15523/a-message-about-the-mount-adoption-license/p1

"We won’t change the existing license in a way that would invalidate the investment players have made, but I want to confirm to you that our next planned mount skin releases will focus on individual sales like the Reforged Warhound and bundles like the Spooky Mounts Pack. We will not add any skins to the currently available Adoption License, thus not pushing down the odds of acquiring any one skin in that set."

One might argue that adding a selection option wouldn't invalidate the investment players made but I'd imagine that the forums would be swimming with stories of people who bought a couple of dozen mount tickets in order to get that one skin.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"GreyWolf.8670" said:Good. Now they can put them in the game as rewards where they belonged in the first place.

You realize that the concepts have nothing to do with each other, right? ANet adds/drops things from the gem shop regularly, to spike demand using the timeworn technique of artificial scarcity. Further, they've tripled down on the idea that these 30 Mountfits will only ever be available from RNG using this particular license.

Offering MountFits via content is a fun idea
and
can be implemented whether or not nearly every other skin is sold in the gem store.

However, notice that there aren't any gliders available via content, except from Legendary Backpack collections. According to GW2 Efficiency, and ignoring time|effort|skill, the material costs for those are:

That translates to 2400-4000 gems each, considerably more than the 300-800g for glider skins available in the gem store.

So while I'd love see MountFits available via some collection, too, I expect that realistically, they'll be
more
expensive, not cheaper. And that's before taking into account the work needed to finish.

My opinion on the way mounts skins were handled has not and will never change. If they're not going to put any in the game to earn they may as well just give the expansion away, too. It was not worth the $20 discount to have nothing to earn in-game. I continue to not spend any more at all until they change their policies.

I got my unbound magic glider/backpack from a BLC with a map completion key so that argument doesn't really work. Which mount skins can I get that way?

@"GreyWolf.8670" said:I got my unbound magic glider/backpack from a BLC with a map completion key so that argument doesn't really work. Which mount skins can I get that way?

You think there's a material difference between getting a lucky drop of a BL key that in turns leads to a lucky drop from the BL chest versus getting any other lucky drop that you can sell for gold, convert to gems, and buy a MountFit? Neither result is "earned" in the common sense of the word; it's just different categories of good luck.

Personally, I'd find it fun to see some sort of legendary-like collection for a few MountFits and I hope ANet decides to offer them up via statuettes or wardrobe unlocks some day. I also wish they sold some four-channel dye MountFits for cheap. In the meantime, they are just skins; my raptor leaps just as far using the default Mountfit. I'm sorry if that interferes with your ability to enjoy the game.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"GreyWolf.8670" said:I got my unbound magic glider/backpack from a BLC with a map completion key so that argument doesn't really work. Which mount skins can I get that way?

You think there's a material difference between getting a lucky drop of a BL key that in turns leads to a lucky drop from the BL chest versus getting any other lucky drop that you can sell for gold, convert to gems, and buy a MountFit? Neither result is "earned" in the common sense of the word; it's just different categories of good luck.

Personally, I'd find it fun to see some sort of legendary-like collection for a few MountFits
and
I hope ANet decides to offer them up via statuettes or wardrobe unlocks some day. I also wish they sold some four-channel dye MountFits for cheap. In the meantime, they are just skins; my raptor leaps just as far using the default Mountfit. I'm sorry if that interferes with your ability to enjoy the game.

I don't use the exchange, either. It's just to get people to give up gold/gems so they won't have them anymore. Out of curiosity, are you trying to convince me that the mount skin sales are ok? I do not like the way they handled it and never will. Mounts were a major feature in the expansion and not having any earnable just flat out stinks. Same for glider skins.

@Rauderi.8706 said:This really begs the question of what they intend to do with those skins.Revamp the system and meld it with the Istan set? Super rares in Black Lion boxes?New license structure? (600 gems for RNG pull of a specific type? No one wants skimmers. :|)

How 'bout just let people freaking buy them without gambling like any honest vendor would?

Ug... that's disappointing. It would be nice to know if they are at least going to cycle them in once in a while. I've bought a couple of them slowly over time to just plink away at the collection.

This of course doesn't fit Anet's PAY ME NOW! policy, so I get to miss out I guess.

@Conncept.7638 said:

@"Rauderi.8706" said:This really begs the question of what they intend to do with those skins.Revamp the system and meld it with the Istan set? Super rares in Black Lion boxes?New license structure? (600 gems for RNG pull of a specific type? No one wants skimmers. :|)

How 'bout just let people freaking buy them without gambling like any honest vendor would?

1200 gems.

If the older set gets merged or reformatted to copy the Istan set, that's how much it'll cost to "freaking buy them". But they'd have to rework the UI and whatnot first. I personally don't mind the RNG if I have a little control over it.

Archived