[Bug] Glyph of Bounty and rich mining nodes

I have the Shifting Sands Mining Pick with the Glyph of Bounty. I did some mining with no bonuses from Guild Hall, banners, boosters, or anything else. I mined 20 or 30 Rich Iron Ore nodes and Rich Platinum Ore nodes, and two different behaviors were immediately apparent. The Rich Iron Node would often reward two iron ore per strike (stacked in the sidebar and apparently giving experience only once) while the Rich Platinum Ore node would only ever give one ore per strike. This resulted in the Rich Iron Ore node usually giving anywhere from 13 to 18 Iron Ore, while the Rich Platinum Ore node usually only gave 10 or 11. The Rich Iron Ore node gave me 10 only one time; the Rich Platinum Ore node gave me 13 only one time and never more than that.

With a 33% chance of an extra strike, on a normal ore node there should be a result of a minimum of 3 ore and a maximum of 6 ore, with the average being 4 ore. I have, in fact, gotten two extra strikes from a normal Iron Ore node, so three extra strikes seems possible, though it would be rare. With a rich ore node, the result should be a minimum of 10 ore and a maximum of 20 ore, with the average being 13.3 ore. I saw this result from the Rich Iron Ore node but not from the Rich Platinum Ore node.

The actual extra strike the glyph is supposed to give seems to either very rarely happen or not happen at all even on Rich Iron Ore nodes; I think I saw an 11th strike once or twice but I'm not sure. The Rich Iron Ore node seemed to be giving me the extra ore by stacking them on the normal 10 strikes, apparently without giving me the experience for those extra ore.

So the Rich Iron Ore node is giving the proper amount of ore but not the proper number of strikes and experience, while the Rich Platinum Ore node is not giving enough ore because it isn't giving the proper number of strikes.

From a thread on Reddit:

"Most gathering nodes are capped at 3 bonus strikes. You will never be able to hit a mining/logging node more than 6 times, or a plant node more than 4.Rich ore nodes are capped at 10 strikes. You can never earn bonus strikes on these nodes.Certain nodes will never allow you to gain bonus strikes; for example, Orrian Pearls."

There's a bunch of things about "extra strike" that are not adequately described on the tool. The description needs to be much better.

Archived