Wall of shame - third party apps.

With the recent bunch of suspensions, the debate about what it is ok and not ok is back in full. People seem to put a lot of value in devs making statements about certain apps being ok in a current state. I know and understand that you can’t approve a third party app as it is third party.I also know you don’t want to advertise bad third party apps. So I have an alternate proposal to make a wall of shame bout third party apps being not allowed. Not by their name, but by the bad functionality and amount of banned accounts

E.g.Mm-dd-yyyy: 500 accounts suspended for using an app that turned other pvp-players in monkeys. Reason: game hack

Better solution is making a white list of approved apps. Or disallow 3rd parties altogether. I'm not using 3rd parties exactly because I don't trust Anet and their current policy. It's intentionally vague and leaves too much room for interpretation. Meanwhile Anet isn't consistent about their 3rd party policy of "use at your own risk". They say they won't help you if these tools cause any harm but at the same time they advertise TACO using their official communication channels.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:No. I am just glad they posted the numbers.

Whether we like it or not, if you want to be safe, don't use a third party program. Don't have to worry about add ons or updates.

I personally do not use third party apps, also cause I havent met any I find usefull, but I do not believe the current policy justifies that people should be forced to not use third party apps.

@derd.6413 said:never give hackers/cheater information they can use to improve their hacks/cheats. (by telling them what doesn't work for example)

In case of Suck At Love ban 2 years ago (I think) Chris publicly said the ban was because he teleported into multiple locations in certain period of time which is impossible if he played normally. If they can say this, they can explain other things aswell.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@derd.6413 said:never give hackers/cheater information they can use to improve their hacks/cheats. (by telling them what doesn't work for example)

In case of Suck At Love ban 2 years ago (I think) Chris publicly said the ban was because he teleported into multiple locations in certain period of time which is impossible if he played normally. If they can say this, they can explain other things aswell.

the example you've given was a guy who got caught by a dev because of (seemingly from your description) bad luck not because of anet's anti-cheat. and if you tell anybody how your anticheat works you tell them how to stay undetected from it. and i very much doubt that most ppl who got banned were caught by anet through dumb luck.

@derd.6413 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

the example you've given was a guy who got caught by a dev because of (seemingly from your description) bad luck not because of anet's anti-cheat.

Emmm so? Point is, if you are banned and submit a ticket asking for explanation you should get one. Not technical answer on how they found out but about what you did and when. When you are sentenced IRL you know what for you're being sentenced. You don't know how police found out but you are told what exactly you did wrong.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

the example you've given was a guy who got caught by a dev because of (seemingly from your description) bad luck not because of anet's anti-cheat.

Emmm so? Point is, if you are banned and submit a ticket asking for explanation you should get one. Not technical answer on how they found out but about what you did and when. When you are sentenced IRL you know what for you're being sentenced. You don't know how police found out but you are told what exactly you did wrong.

the difference is that if you tell a hacker which hack they're caught with you tell them how you've caught them. ppl who make "good" hacks are smart ppl (and jerks but that's neither here nor there)

@derd.6413 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

the difference is that if you tell a hacker which hack they're caught with you tell them how you've caught them. ppl who make "good" hacks are smart ppl (and jerks but that's neither here nor there)

Same can happen in court when accusators need to prove guilt. All the evidence they provide is explaining how they got him.

I'd still love if they brought the Dhuum Ban back...but have a map wide message (player name), you have been found guilty of (cheating, hacking, etc). I am Dhuum and I have come for your soul! Then once the player is struck have them fall dead with no option to res with a message saying You are banned for (amount of time). Goodbye!

@derd.6413 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Not really. It is saying what feature of a third party tool is not allowed. A bad person know they do something bad. They know what third party tool they use and they installed it. So they know what it does. The method of detection is something else, this is not shared for obvious reasons.

Archived