Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock & Cultural Armor Achievement

Today I used a Guaranteed Armor Unlock and got a Dreadnought Visor (Heavy Charr Tier 3 Cultural Armor Helmet) out of it. I was pretty excited getting this headpiece because my achievement "The Emperor's New Wardrobe" is at 71/72 of Tier 4/5. However, for some reason the achievement didn't progress. When I look at Charr Specialty Armors the Tier 3 Headgear is still unchecked. This means I did not already have another type of tier 3 charr headgear unlocked. This must be a bug unless I am forgetting something. Should I possibly contact CS in order to get this fixed?

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:What Khisanth said. You can only progress that achievement by buying the armor piece from the cultural armor NPC in the respective racial city or from the Skritt Trader in wvw. Unlocking the skins with Personal Story rewards or Wardrobe unlocks doesn't count for the achievement.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm quite disappointed it works like that. It feels like a wasted Guaranteed Armor Unlock because I will have to buy the armor again from the vendor eventually to complete the achievement. Especially since keys are a gem store purchase this could make some people very unhappy with the way this works. I also believe it isn't consistent because, correct me if I'm wrong, the miniatures from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock do get added to the Mini Collection achievements. Even though the miniatures also go straight to the wardrobe just like cultural armor.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Have you unlocked every other Cultural T3 Headgear skin for Charr? You can use Light, Medium or Heavy for the Achievement, I believe.

Good luck.

No. Currently I only have a Charr Warrior so getting the Light or Medium T3 headpiece is not exactly a worthy investment. Perhaps one day I might consider getting another Charr character though so your idea might come in handy. For the near future I don't think I will be buying any keys from the gem store until wardrobe unlocks have full functionality.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Minis are a whole different can of worms.

Adding to wardrobe destroys them. Forging does not add to wardrobe or unlock so for things like Old Tom or the various mount minis from the BLC it requires more than one might expect.

True. That doesn't take away the fact that items from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock are also instantly destroyed and you should expect full functionality including achievement unlocks when that happens. If it is intentional that the cultural armor skins from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock don't get added to the achievements they shouldn't have added the cultural armor to the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks in the first place.

The forging dilemma of miniatures I understand. Because then players wouldn't unlock a mini anymore but instead forge it and just resell it. You see the same thing happening with the legendary Eternity. Players unlock Sunrise and Twilight and then forge them together to sell the Eternity. Therefore the mini forging not unlocking the mini seems like a deliberate design choice. But I have yet to see a convincing argument why cultural armor unlock from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock would be a deliberate design choice.

Because the achievement is to buy the Cultural pieces needed, not to unlock them. Which is why I buy a piece every time 'Big Spender' comes up, so that my Wardrobe Unlocks don't include them, or only include T3, which are more expensive.
I do hope, as I have, you have unlocked every lesser expensive weapon and armor skin, and anything else easily acquired in game, before using any BL Keys (whether purchased or acquired in-game).

Good luck.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Because the achievement is to buy the Cultural pieces needed, not to unlock them. Which is why I buy a piece every time 'Big Spender' comes up, so that my Wardrobe Unlocks don't include them, or only include T3, which are more expensive.

I do hope, as I have, you have unlocked every lesser expensive weapon and armor skin, and anything else easily acquired in game, before using any BL Keys (whether purchased or acquired in-game).

Good luck.

Hmm, where does it say buy? Because for me it says the following: "Soulbind 72 unique pieces of cultural armor". It says the same (soulbind not buy) for every sub achievement.

Yes. I did unlock every cheap wardrobe item. But there are too many cultural armor (tier 3) pieces as part of the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock for me to invest in. I do not have every race for every armor type so the investment is not worth the gold right now.

@Noah.4756 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Because the achievement is to
buy
the Cultural pieces needed, not to unlock them. Which is why I buy a piece every time 'Big Spender' comes up, so that my Wardrobe Unlocks don't include them, or only include T3, which are more expensive.

Good luck.

Hmm, where does it say buy? Because for me it says the following: "Soulbind 72 unique pieces of cultural armor". It says the same (soulbind not buy) for every sub achievement.

Yes. I did unlock every cheap wardrobe item. But there are too many cultural armor (tier 3) pieces as part of the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock for me to invest in. I do not have every race for every armor type so the investment is not worth the gold right now.

When you buy the armor it automaticly soulbinds so you can buy the light and medium on any character and the salvage or sell back the armor.I usualy sell back t3 since you get 1-2 gold each part and the stuff you salvage it to aint worth that much.

@Noah.4756 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Because the achievement is to
buy
the Cultural pieces needed, not to unlock them. Which is why I buy a piece every time 'Big Spender' comes up, so that my Wardrobe Unlocks don't include them, or only include T3, which are more expensive.

Good luck.

How can you soulbind something you don't own? Unlocking a skin is not the same as possessing an item to soulbind.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Because the achievement is to
buy

Good luck.

How can you soulbind something you don't own? Unlocking a skin is not the same as possessing an item to soulbind.

I do understand what you're getting at. I definitely do own this item though since it's in my wardrobe. The game skipped a step where I had the item physically in my inventory because of a newly introduced acquisition method (Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock). There was no option for me to receive the item in a soulbound state. That shouldn't make me ineligible for the achievement though. My problem lies with the concept of cultural armor stemming from before the wardrobe was introduced. But since then there hasn't been an update to the armor nor the achievement to align with the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock. I don't think it's fair players are forced into a situation where they have to buy an expensive item again simply because of something insignificant as a soulbound requirement. Cultural armor should be a skin in the first place since no one buys the armor from the vendor for the stats.

@"Noah.4756" said:I don't think it's fair players are forced into a situation where they have to buy an expensive item again simply because of something insignificant as a soulbound requirement.

It might not be "fair," but it's not cheap to make it less unfair either. At worst, most people only experience the issue once and it's easily adjusted by purchasing a relevant piece of gear.

There are 1000s of things that we wish ANet would change, because the status quo is awkward, or clunky, or unintuitive, or, yeah, seems unfair. That doesn't make all of them worth ANet's time to prioritize over all the other stuff we want, too.

I'd love to see "skins" offer up a transmutation charge when we "store in wardrobe" (even though I have plenty). I'd like to see every item have a vendor value, so we always have the option to sell, instead of delete. I'd love for the cultural armor pieces to work like other armor. I want to see more consistency with choosy stats, with what goes in the forge (and doesn't), what binds and what doesn't. But none of that is free, even if making it so would improve the game for a lot of us.

In the end, the main facts that matter are: you didn't know how the mechanic worked before and now you do. So you can progress the achievement, albeit not quite as easily as you hoped/expected.The fact that you (and many of us) don't like that mechanic is less important; that's about preference, not about being able to satisfy the requirements of the achievement.

@Noah.4756 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Because the achievement is to
buy

Good luck.

I do understand what you're getting at. I definitely do own this item though since it's in my wardrobe. The game skipped a step where I had the item physically in my inventory because of a newly introduced acquisition method (Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock). There was no option for me to receive the item in a soulbound state. That shouldn't make me ineligible for the achievement though. My problem lies with the concept of cultural armor stemming from before the wardrobe was introduced. But since then there hasn't been an update to the armor nor the achievement to align with the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock. I don't think it's fair players are forced into a situation where they have to buy an expensive item again simply because of something insignificant as a soulbound requirement. Cultural armor should be a skin in the first place since no one buys the armor from the vendor for the stats.

You don't have to buy it again, as you didn't buy it in the first place. The results of using a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock are random (unless that was the very last skin in the game you could have unlocked), so it wasn't expected. It was just a happy (or so you thought) coincidence.

It's unlikely to be changed, as that wouldn't be very fair to all those who actually paid to acquire the items for the Achievement, either.

Regardless, it' not a bug. Sorry for your disappointment. Better luck with your next Key.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You don't have to buy it again, as you didn't buy it in the first place. The results of using a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock are random (unless that was the very last skin in the game you could have unlocked), so it wasn't expected. It was just a happy (or so you thought) coincidence.

It's unlikely to be changed, as that wouldn't be very fair to all those who actually paid to acquire the items for the Achievement, either.

Regardless, it' not a bug. Sorry for your disappointment. Better luck with your next Key.

I appreciate your initial input into this thread but you are now coming across as derogatory.

@Noah.4756 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You don't have to buy it
again
, as you didn't buy it in the first place. The results of using a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock are random (unless that was the very last skin in the game you could have unlocked), so it wasn't expected. It was just a happy (or so you thought) coincidence.

I appreciate your initial input into this thread but you are now coming across as derogatory.

No they are merely stating the facts not being derogatory

Archived