This thread is dying — Guild Wars 2 Forums

This thread is dying

Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 17, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

So...
I've heard several things about a lot of players actually leaving or others saying that the game is slowly starting to die.
In my opinion I don't think it's actually dying. The game just has a problem with content drought mostly between living world updates or seasonal events. But even seasonal events can be a bit dull once you already got everything done years before.

I don't mean to start any fights! I just want to know hear your story of why you think the game is dying or not dying.
Share your stories! I'm happy to hear them! :D

I'm Hunter, he/him
Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2

<13

Comments

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I'm curious: How frequent do new releases need to be to avoid 'content droughts'?

Three months between Living World episodes is the norm. Usually, one or two festivals or events happen between episodes. This doesn't include special events or side events as well. The first expansion caused the only content drought. That was almost a year long with no events outside of holidays, if I recall.

That time has passed and now ANet keeps a pretty steady flow of content. Not as often I would like, given past content speed, but I also know that was pretty impossible to sustain.

No longer posting or playing.

• blambidy.3216blambidy.3216 Member ✭✭✭✭

XD. I highly doubt it. For a While amazon had pof as one of the top mmo sales. so going down? More like up going up.

Think this is just bad timing to ask when there was a big boot of people having 3rd party programs.

Tbh the maps seem the same since the start of pof. In all honesty I think more people are here then when hot was. When I started, which was a little bit over two years ago. multiple maps you would go to, would be completely silent. But now seems all maps are talkative. Sure you can have a map that didn’t do events but, compared to when it was just hot, naw man. Pof has brought much more players. How many? Truly don’t know. But in high and low lvl maps there’s multiple people. You can always tell by metas also. I mean since everyone hits metas and you join too, you will realize that gw2 isn’t close to dead.

• Tinnel.4369Tinnel.4369 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the perspective depends on the game mode you play.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, IMHO. Some players may consider some parts of the game dead for their own reasons. (good or bad) For example, some may quit WvW because they dislike the AoE circle spam and I quit sPvP for some time because I lack the skills needed to survive with an Elly for more than a few secs.

But the good point of GW2 is the versatility of the game, allowing you to continue to enjoy many other parts of the game even if you consider some parts of the game as 'dead'.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭

If you go by what a few people say here and there, then the game has been dying since the first month of release.

• It's doing better than ever, really. It's dying in the sense that all of us are dying, and over the next few years the population will inevitably decline, but it's on quite the upswing with the recent MMO magazine attention, Path of Fire reception, new fractals and higher gem sales, especially compared to how bad things were 1.5 years ago. When people said "this game is dying" after the Heart of Thorn release, we were all actually scared, but these days when I hear that anxiety I generally dismiss it because it's substantially improved since then

• zerorogue.9410zerorogue.9410 Member ✭✭✭

Games are Dying the day after they launch. I'm pretty sure people have announced this game dead after the first year. However given that you can still play gw1 this game has a long way to go before being dead.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

Best Dressed Memser NA.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Path of fire was the destiny 2 of gw2.

• elrin.4750elrin.4750 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018

Game not dead but it is not as populated as I wanted it to be. A healthy game especially one that is global should have a lot of players in all areas, not just during peak NA time, even during seasonal events. A have on many many occasions been on dead maps, especially on meta events like AB or DS. These maps have people wanting to play the metas but due to lack of players, can't. On world bosses, I always see the same people over and over. LFG? empty most of the time.

My personal experience basically is that I feel the server has very low population. It might have A LOT of players, but I've never felt that.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

Here is what I notice: There is a fairly large absence or void in all the maps with exception to the HoT maps. Even then, half time it seems there are no metas being run. So where are all the players exactly? PvP and WvW still have their fair share of players but it's quite evident the numbers are not what they used to be. Can't really say it's dying or not; however, where the lack of players poking around would indicate it's starting to.

• Colly.4073Colly.4073 Member ✭✭✭

The living world updates don't have enough packed into them to keep people there, once they have map completion and achi's the maps are boring. PoF was said to be all about content yet it didn't have nowhere near the re-playability of HoT.

Anet stopped adding things to the game that gave people something to do such as legendary journey, Current event's in the achievement panel. There just isn't enough things to do for the people that have been here since launch.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@elrin.4750 said:
    Game not dead but it is not as populated as I wanted it to be. A healthy game especially one that is global should have a lot of players in all areas, not just during peak NA time, even during seasonal events. A have on many many occasions been on dead maps, especially on meta events like AB or DS. These maps have people wanting to play the metas but due to lack of players, can't. On world bosses, I always see the same people over and over. LFG? empty most of the time.

My personal experience basically is that I feel the server has very low population. It might have A LOT of players, but I've never felt that.

I have never see AB not being done. You might not be on the main map and you might not be checking looking for group, but as an Australian who plays all hours, the game is never dead. People don't use LFG tool or get there early enough and that's their own lookout.

The problem is it won't have multiple maps doing the event so maybe 1 or 2 maps have enough people and if you happen to get on the third map, tough luck.

Every single MMO in existence suffers from dead areas, including WoW which is the most populous. That is, the more a game expands, the more players are required to fill ALL the areas all the time. It doesn't happen in WoW, it won't happen anywhere else either.

• circuitnerd.5863circuitnerd.5863 Member ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say it's dying. Slower than it has been in the past? Yes. But not dead. It's only truly dead until you yourself gets bored.

Certifiable gameaholic

• Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭

There are many ppl I know stopped playing .. but there are many new players too. I think there still a lot of life in this game. Just enjoy it.

Death is Energy [DIE] in EU
    Envoy's Herald, EAoA, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

@circuitnerd.5863 said:
    I wouldn't say it's dying. Slower than it has been in the past? Yes. But not dead. It's only truly dead until you yourself gets bored.

Even this is really hard to tell. The issue is there are more and more areas and more and more things to do all the time, so the existing number of players, even if it stayed constant, even if it went up some, would seem like less. There are probably less people in PvP for example and more people in PvE. Just a guess, but PvE has been getting a fair number of updates.

My guild seems to have the same number of players and active players no matter what I do, but they're not necessarily the same players. Some people take breaks, some people come back, some people are new. I don't think the population is going down. I do think the population is more divided into more zones though.

• Ditta.7940Ditta.7940 Member ✭✭

As long as its still fun to play it is definatly not dead .

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018

That depends on what period you joined the game.

To the old players that have joined the game since launch, to them the game is dying because they compare the population differences at different points of time. Of course, all games die, the question is how fast it should die.

Founder & Retired Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi
    https://discord.gg/P5dj7fd

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

PoF maps are dead, the game itself is far from dying.

Don't misunderstand very vocal people, they're not the majority etc.

Bite me.

@Blocki.4931 said:

Not having a zerg doesn't equal dead. I'm on PoF maps on most days at different points in time and almost every time I start a hero point, people end up joining in before it's dead....and it doesn't take that long. Plenty of people on those maps. They're simply not all grouped up in one place because there's no traffic control on those maps, or important metas like in HoT.

• Jumpin Lumpix.6108Jumpin Lumpix.6108 Member ✭✭✭✭

Everyone on here is arguing where the collective threshold in group psychology lies for when everyone agrees that the game has reached a point of no return. Personally I think it's already got there.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

I've been doing map completion on PoF maps quite a bit recently and it's far from dead: I see other people all the time doing events and Hero Points.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Cynder.2509 said:
    The game just has a problem with content drought mostly between living world updates or seasonal events.

Just like every other MMO... I've been playing this genre since 2002 and there are always more people when updates happen, this is a fact.

But no, GW2 is NOT dying. I'm online every day for many hours even between updates and open world meta events are still full of people all the time, low-mid lvl maps have leveling players, tons of people in LFG, etc... GW2 is still a young MMO compared to games like WoW, Ragnarok Online and Lineage 2 and even those are still alive. So no, GW2 will not die anytime soon.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

I've been doing map completion on PoF maps quite a bit recently and it's far from dead: I see other people all the time doing events and Hero Points.

Not saying they are 100% empty, you simply have 0 reason to ever return to them. Unless I decide to level another character and go through all of the story I simply don't have to. I've got every map achievement and got all items for collections from there. There aren't any interesting events or metas to keep people there, that's why I called it dead. HoT has more going for it than that.

Bite me.

• SlateSloan.3654SlateSloan.3654 Member ✭✭✭

one thing for sure. all the people posting that the game is dead will be right one day^^

actually theres so many content that i choose to play wvw most the time to not have to learn new currency, items and all that.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

The game as a whole isn't dying yet, but certain aspects of it definitely are.

• Open world is doing fine as it's getting probably more than half the company's resources.
    • Dungeons are dead and discontinued.
    • Fractals are doing okay at the moment but the pace of content delivery is rather slow.
    • Raids are more of a niche and aren't getting that much love.
    • PvP was killed by balance, lack of a new gamemode after 6 years, and rampant wintrading.
    • WvW is a zombie at this point, keeps kicking only because of the promised reworks with no ETA.

Now, because open world is by far the most popular thing to do amongst casuals, anyone who dares to complain is basically brigaded by the people who enjoy the only one thing that's doing fine.

It's weird really, technically 90% of the game is dying because of neglect, but the majority plays that remaining 10% of it that's doing great.

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

@witcher.3197 said:
    The game as a whole isn't dying yet, but certain aspects of it definitely are.

• Open world is doing fine as it's getting probably more than half the company's resources.
    • Dungeons are dead and discontinued.
    • Fractals are doing okay at the moment but the pace of content delivery is rather slow.
    • Raids are more of a niche and aren't getting that much love.
    • PvP was killed by balance, lack of a new gamemode after 6 years, and rampant wintrading.
    • WvW is a zombie at this point, keeps kicking only because of the promised reworks with no ETA.

Now, because open world is by far the most popular thing to do amongst casuals, anyone who dares to complain is basically brigaded by the people who enjoy the only one thing that's doing fine.

It's weird really, technically 90% of the game is dying because of neglect, but the majority plays that remaining 10% of it that's doing great.

Huh?

For being niche on purpose, raids are getting quite a lot of love; quite a lot more than major game-modes like PvP and WvW to be honest. I don't even think that the WvW-restructuring will revive WvW that much. ANet is just blatantly copying the guild-war-approach BDO features without touching the main issues the game-mode has. PvP really could use more modes to spice stuff up, especially since PvP has somewhat become a flavor-of-the-month-show.

• DakotaCoty.5721DakotaCoty.5721 Member ✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I'm curious: How frequent do new releases need to be to avoid 'content droughts'?

I don't know of any other games that have updates more frequently GW2, either MMOs or otherwise, so I'm not sure what the basis is for this complaint (which all games seem to have) about content droughts.

(It also makes me realise other people get through stuff a lot faster than me. I still have stuff from HoT left to do, if content was coming out more often and it was the same stuff we get now, not the 'kill 50 x' 'press F 100 times' stuff from Season 1, I doubt I'd have time for even half of it.)

I think Guild Wars 2 has good release times, but the content itself can be done in <45 mins and very little living world episodes offer anything of substance, and if they do it is heavily nerfed to a point where it isn't sustainable - Istan being the only exception to the entirety of Living World.

• Zedek.8932Zedek.8932 Member ✭✭✭

The game is far from dying. The only source for these claims are often the quarterly reports of the income. And despite "whining on a high level" (Heulen auf hohem Niveau, German), you can see it's doing well. If you look at how game companies work, aNet should be very fine. Other companies invest money, sell their product and then gain money "once" - with the product. Games like GW2 invest money and get CONTINOUS income AND their milestones in sales of their expansion packs / the base game.

Apart from that, I like to be alone. I can shoot my enemies without some sword-wielding guy whirling trough the place and cause the mobs to run all over the place. Where is the fun in a "zerg"? Where is your contribution?

So, financial and player-wise, the game is alive and kickin'. HoT was a massive boost in mapping quality (not that I like that MUCH but the quality is there) and PoF in other departments (the quality of mounts, how they look, how they move,...).

Excelsior, my name is Zedexx; Asuran Deadeye and assassin.
    The Hunter / 2x Darksteel Pistols / 2x Whisper's Secret Daggers and my Springer. That's all I need and trust.
    "We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!"

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

"Is the game dying?" Did I take a wrong turn and end up on the SWTOR forums? No, sorry. Over there, the thread title is usually "Game is dying" or "Game is dead".

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Anytime developers introduce a "New Player Experience", then your game is dying... at least with respect to those of us who were here at release.

"Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with Ketchup."

• Khailyn.6248Khailyn.6248 Member ✭✭✭

Sales surged with the sale of path of fire, but im confident that AN can sustain the game on gem store sales. If the game were dying it would have during the drought between season 2 and heart of thorns. Now if you want to see a game dying see Destiny 2. Bungie is pretty much putting it on life support trying to get its player base back.

• Draco.9480Draco.9480 Member ✭✭✭

awful pvp and less people play it. solution: make conquest 10v10, 15v15, 20v20 both solo and premade till full squad and larger maps. make arenas 2v2 and 3v3 without annoying points to rotate and the option for skirmish casual and ranked. both ranked should be arena ranked rating and conquest ranked rating. also to have the options to GvG in conquest and get rating for guilds in pvp.
    not enough content for raids. 2.5 years and we only have like 5 wings and are like 15 bosses total which is really slow and should be harder in general to make it feel like it's more of a raid than just weekly clear.
    story is also takes 'em ages to make but it's a bit less important. the more important is the aspect of pve content which isn't enough at all and not challenging enough. and we don't have good competitive pvp system to push players to build pvp guilds.

• Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its not dead nor is it dying. But that is not because the game is good, no. Its not dying because there's nothing to move on to. As soon as there's an mmo with fluid combat system, actual endgame (lol gw2 endgame. running in circles in the open world isn't one) and quality pvp (gw1 was a perfect example of excellent pvp) that will keep people busy for thousands of hours, you can bet your kitten a metric ton of players will move on from gw2 and never look back.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

all games are dying, from the moment they are released, as all people are dying from the moment we are born.
    now if you mean the game is close to its death, i don't see it, and i don't see why would anyone think that. since we got a new expansion some months ago...

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018

PvP and wvw populations are alot less populated that's for sure.
    If you only log in daily for those game modes though, it can be a problem and in terms of wvw, it depends on what server you're on and the current linking system, but still there seems to be less population to spread out on multiple servers these days, to make it feel as though it's competitively balanced enough.

• STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ok this a many facet question.

First, it depends on what you mean by Dying

I have read that population numbers are growing (while I have no way to validate or verify this, I'm still going to just roll with it), so if that is true, that would mean, more people are coming into the game then leaving it. In that regard, the game is Alive and Growing

Now, if you look at the income numbers, they tell a different story. However, right now, we still only have the numbers from PoF, which look pretty good, but previous to PoF the numbers looked bleak to say the least. In that regard, their Income is dying but, at 13+ million a quarter, they are far from dead.

There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

• Galaa.8475Galaa.8475 Member ✭✭✭

from everything i've read the game is doing well pve side. pvp,wvw is not doing well from what i read on the forums, but you have to take that with a grain of salt. it seems there is no pleasing the pvp side no matter what anet does or any mmo for that matter. anyway from what i've seen from surfing the web people are saying GW2 is one of the top mmo's out there population and stability wise. so thats good news. Bless is coming to steam in may. we may see a population decrease for a time. bless has had some troubles in the past and i dont know how well it will do.
    most asian mmo's dont make it in the west with of course the exceptions being gw2 and ff14.