Engineer skill coefficients horribly broken... with math proof

lordhelmos.7623

Warning: Math involved. Requires reading the chat log.

I did some testing on skill coefficients for protection. I wanted to see if I can get perma protection on my Engineer because I was tired of being one shot. This just exposed so many horrible layers of bad math and misbehaving equations.

All the proof is in my screenshot. If this is broken, what other numbers are wrong? Maybe skills shouldn't be dealing scaling like they are?

How does 4.75 seconds of protection with 88% boon duration result in only 5 seconds of protection? How do two double procs of 4.75 + over 58% boon duration only result in 7... SEVEN seconds of protection?

Someone needs to really review all the underlying calculations because I'm sure more than just this is broke.

Screen: https://imgur.com/n6rWVDY

I think you’re looking at the tooltips with the boon duration gear/buffs on. Reconstruction Enclosure should be a base of 3 seconds of protection and Rune of the Herald should be 2 seconds. The rest of the difference can likely be explained from how the game handles rounding of conditions and boons.

@Undo.5091 said:I think you’re looking at the tooltips with the boon duration gear/buffs on. Reconstruction Enclosure should be a base of 3 seconds of protection and Rune of the Herald should be 2 seconds. The rest of the difference can likely be explained from how the game handles rounding of conditions and boons.

Yep.. 2s and 3s = 5s base protection, you said two procs with 58% boon duration? 5*1.58 = 7.9 seems like you applied the math improperly.

You just multiply each base duration of the boon by (1+boon duration). You were doing something like taking the already concentration-boosted number and adding another 88% to it.. there's your problem.

Archived