Loading is weird.

Sometimes my PC is slow, usually because I'm running something in the background while playing. Usually Guild Wars 2 works well and I can play without any issues. But sometimes, maps take ages to load. And in those rare cases, loading doesn't seem to do anything. I spawn on an empty map, with just some player models. Sometimes it won't even load the enemies before they kill me. Making it seem like I was killed by an invisible force. I would much rather spend 2 more minutes behind the loading screen, than to play on a broken map. It's been like this for years and I was expecting it to be fixed in some way. But it's still a (minor) issue.http://puu.sh/A3PPA/275b96a9b4.jpg

When I see this, I notice that whatever it is that's running in the background is doing fairly heavy disk work. That slows the map loader, and eventually it gets bored of waiting.(1) I would recommend not running disk-heavy stuff in the background. Altertnatively, have whatever it is use a different physical disk.

(1) It's worse on "classic" disks than it is with SSDs because of the greater "latency" of the mechanical components.

Archived