Lets talk about Anets servers....NA ping

Hi everyone,Ive played this game since release and have had decent competetive ping for a long time . But after the recent server relocation my ping has almost doubled.Since Ive looked into this issue i discovered the cause was server relocation....why would you put NA's server in a COASTAL CITY???? the servers are labeled as NA but the entire west coast was ignored.@anet whats your reasoning behind this? because its cheaper? please respond

@Skittledness.5106 said:Hi everyone,Ive played this game since release and have had decent competetive ping for a long time . But after the recent server relocation my ping has almost doubled.Since Ive looked into this issue i discovered the cause was server relocation....why would you put NA's server in a COASTAL CITY???? the servers are labeled as NA but the entire west coast was ignored.@anet whats your reasoning behind this? because its cheaper? please respond

They did it because it actually improved latency for the vast majority of NA players. Despite the Virginia location. As with any transition, even if most people see reduced ping, some will see more. In some cases, this is due to the transition as local ISPs learn the new location of "guildwars2.com". In some cases, it's because the new location is actually worse for some people. In some cases, it's coincidental. And in some cases, it's due to something going wrong in all the miles of cable between, completely unrelated to the new location.

Accordingly, none of us can say if the move is the cause of your worsening ping. You'll need to run PingPlotter or similar software to see where things are going wrong and share that data with ANet. If they can, they'll help you identify a cause and troubleshoot with you. If it's their ISP, their machines, or the location, they have some tricks they can try.

tl;dr run pingplotter to identify the location(s) of the breakdown and work with ANet to address them.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" wroteIt's possible that the problem is anet, ... [however] ... the Internet is built in a way that three to five companies handle your traffic, if not more, just inside the continental USA. There are lots of places that the problem could spring from that neither end is responsible directly for. :(

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network has a good guide for identifying where the problem is, but if you have trouble with that feel free to post screenshots from it and we can help work out where it is.

Further Reading

Stephen Clarke-Wilson commenting more recently about ping (on r/guildwars, but the ideas still apply) (poster's note: I made some minor formatting changes)

We moved to AWS. The AWS servers are awesome - they are the latest generation. In addition, we spun up more than we should really need, based on CPU. In spite of all that, two things have happened:

(1) a bug in [Guild Wars 1] since launch seems to show up more often than it did, which causes some lag. Extra servers help but does not fix that.(2) Anytime we move datacenters internet routing gets messed up and it is substantially out of our control. When we moved Guild Wars from Los Angeles to Dallas, our own routes from the studio still went down to LA and then to Dallas! It’s like the internet has some kind of memory and is slow to adapt.

The best thing you can do is try a free VPN (like ProXPN) and see if it improves your connectivity and ping. Using a VPN seems to get around the bad routing effect (which also gets better over time). The internet is a complicated beast; I heard recently that about 1,000 routing changes a minute occur around the world. Oh my.

When the servers switched, my game became laggy and choppy "I live in Michigan btw." It says I get between 70-90 average ping in NA but the game runs terribly now. I actually get far better lag in EU servers, despite it saying my ping is like average 150. How that works, no idea, but it had made me consider switching to EU servers.

They're never going to revert. According to them it's better to prioritize certain locations instead of optimizing for balanced ping. If PvE was actually dependent on ping then perhaps, but nobody cares about the pvp base. Also SCW doesn't post here so of you actually want to provide feedback on this then make a Reddit post. The best thing we can hope for is AWS opening a new center in central US. Maybe then we can convince Anet to use those.

• 2 years later...

Dude, the majority of MMORPG are in the west coast. This is the only major one that's actually in east coast. Take away this game, then practically all MMORPGs would be in california. There are more people on the east coast vs the west coast anyways.

This game being on the east coast is the primary reason why I would even want to play this. Location is key.

@Excalibur.9748 said:Dude, the majority of MMORPG are in the west coast. This is the only major one that's actually in east coast. Take away this game, then practically all MMORPGs would be in california. There are more people on the east coast vs the west coast anyways.

This game being on the east coast is the primary reason why I would even want to play this. Location is key.

you are replying to a 2 year old tread btw

why