Just to clarify, PoF is a quasi Elona?

hey everyone. I just wanted to ask, but instead of dedicating an entire continent like they used to in gw1, are they, moving forward, basically including one of the previous gw1 campaigns as a part of the expansion but compacting it? is the crystal desert actually connected with Elona as I used to think it was separate. would love the lore folk in here to help out if that's ok:)

crystal desert and Elona were connected (and still are). in guild wars 1 you could walk from one to the other by foot. those 2 are not the same desert and are defined by different geographical elements. in guild wars 2 path of fire you see both parts of the crystal desert and small parts of elona, those are not the entire regions.

Yes Elona and Tyria are connected, they're different continents but there's no sea or anything between them. It's like Europe and Asia. I think the border between then was never clearly defined in GW1 lore because the Crystal Desert and the Desolation were largely uninhabited and the peoples living there (note: most of them non-human) weren't affiliated with countries in either continent so it didn't matter too much where exactly the border was. You went south from Tyria and if you were able to stay alive you'd reach Elona. In between was a whole lot of nothing and hydras.

In game terms it was fairly clear - in Prophecies you visited the Crystal Desert which is where Crystal Oasis, Desert Highlands and the northern part of Elon Riverlands is now, and then in Nightfall you were in Elona which was made up of Istan, Kourna, Vabbi and the Desolation, all to the south of the Crystal Desert.

They were separate because it was possible to own one campaign without the other, so they had to allow for the fact that not everyone could go between them. Although there was one quest, only available if you owned both, which started in Nightfall and involved going to one of the Prophecies maps. There was also a teleporter you could use in that quest or just generally to go between them without having to map travel to an outpost (but it was right on the northern edge of one of the most remote NF maps and lead to an equally remote point on the southern edge of a Prophecies map, and map travel was free so I doubt it got used much).

But I think if you really wanted to make a distinction I'd be inclined to say the Crystal Desert is actually the northern part of Elona rather than the southern part of Tyria, because when it was settled it was always by people from Elona (the Primeval Kings, the Margonites, Turai Ossa's followers and now the people in Amnoon) so whenever it did matter politically it was part of Elona.

Archived