Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools & Glyph's

When I bought this item from the GEM store (Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools) I bought it so I could always be gathering unbound magic, now because of the introduction of Glyph's I am no longer getting the bonus of what was originally purchased, as well as the ability to use the new Glyph's.

• This is a terrible oversight by GW2.
  • The Glyph's shouldn't have any impact, especially negative, on an expensive GEM store purchase that was made for a specific gathering bonus.
  • The Glyph's should be an addition to the GEM store purchase, and not a replacement.

I did trade them so I have the ability to use glyph's. The point though is that I paid for an item (Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools) that already gathered magic.

I'm disappointed that what was purchased from the Gem store didn't stay as is (an attribute of my harvesting tools), as well as being able to use glyph's together with the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools.

IMO - The glyph's should work independent of a Gem store purchase.

As much as I would like it, gather two extra elements or more would cause all kinds of problems. The point of getting those kinds of tools should be to gather that one extra item. If we get to have the original tool, and then put more on said tool, no one would use anything except that tool.

And that kind of defeats the purpose for the gathering update.

While I understand what your saying, I have to disagree. We have weapons with sigil's, armor with runes in an unlimited number of configurations... I am sure they could keep the base item as is, and then use a Glyph.

I use my Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools across all of my characters, by just keeping it in shared storage and equipping when I need it.

I may be an outlier but, I don't see the point to the gathering update. Were people really worried about how they look when gathering?

@enumae.2980 said:We have weapons with sigil's, armor with runes in an unlimited number of configurations...Yes, glyphs are exactly a separation of the tool's skin & function from the upgrade:

• Inquest Greatsword of Summoning = Inquest skin, GS function, Summoning upgrade (not that anyone wants that one)
  • Unbound Magic Harvesting Blast = Blast skin, sickle function, unbound magic gathering upgrade.

I am sure they could keep the base item as is, and then use a Glyph.

Which is exactly what they did. You've unfortunately assumed that the upgrade was tied to the skin.

I use my Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools across all of my characters, by just keeping it in shared storage and equipping when I need it.

Great, you can still do that.

I don't see the point to the gathering update.

There's an entire thread discussing just that. The point is we've never been able to separate either the skin nor the upgrade from the tool. Now we can and we can get more upgrades.

Were people really worried about how they look when gathering?Yes, lots of posts about it through the years since the first unlimited tools.Plus, as I mentioned above, the update is more than just how they look: form separated from function and from bonus.

Thank you for all the feed back, everyone :) I appreciate the responses.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Which is exactly what they did. You've unfortunately assumed that the upgrade was tied to the skin.

The issue I have with this statement is that I didn't buy the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools as a skin, it had an actual purpose which is now lost, unless I want to use a glyph to recreate what was originally part of the purchased harvesting tools.

What have I gained by having bought these tools after the introduction of Glyph's?Edit - What have I gained by having bought these tools prior to the introduction of Glyph's?

IMO - Nothing, and that's my issue.

@enumae.2980 said:Thank you for all the feed back, everyone :) I appreciate the responses.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Which is exactly what they did. You've unfortunately assumed that the upgrade was tied to the skin.

The issue I have with this statement is that I didn't buy the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools as a skin, it had an actual purpose which is now lost, unless I want to use a glyph to recreate what was originally part of the purchased harvesting tools.

How have you lost anything? If you don't move any of the glyphs, then you have exactly what you had before. Whatever item you bought provides the same benefits today as it did last month, it looks the same, and it operates the same. Literally nothing changed except you can now choose to mix & match; you aren't required to.

What have I gained by having bought these tools after the introduction of Glyph's?The unbound set hasn't been available since the introduction of Glyph's. You bought yours beforehand.

IMO - Nothing, and that's my issue.I'm confused. If they have no value to you, you wouldn't buy them now. For others, they might offer a new skin or a new glyph or extra utility, so they don't have to swap tools.

"@Linken.6345 said:As I stated, this isn't about skins or cosmetics to me.@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The unbound set hasn't been available since the introduction of Glyph's. You bought yours beforehand.Hence my edit...

IMO - Nothing, and that's my issue.I'm confused. If they have no value to you, you wouldn't buy them now. For others, they might offer a new skin or a new glyph or extra utility, so they don't have to swap tools.So to make this really simple, what have I gained with the introduction of the Glyph's considering the tools I had?

@"ReaverKane.7598 said:Yes, I paid for one thing, and in order to use it I have to give up the introduction of a new feature. I am so greedy, must be as greedy as the people who wanted skins for tools...

@"enumae.2980" said:So to make this really simple, what have I gained with the introduction of the Glyph's considering the tools I had?To make it really simple, what difference does it make? You lost nothing, many people feel they gained something. It's the same with any change to the game: not everyone finds the changes useful.

ANet's introduced a lot of everlasting tools. Given the tools I owned, I gained nothing. That doesn't mean that they aren't worthwhile additions to the game; it only means that I didn't buy them.

The standard isn't "what's useful to you?" or "what's beneficial to me?" It's "does the change improve the game enough for enough of the community?"

As it turns out, there are a lot of people who have found a lot of use for being to apply different skins to their existing tools and to be able to move the bonus. I'm sorry that you, personally, don't find that interesting.

I am lost as to what the OP's issue is. Before this change you had the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools that allowed you to harvest,mine, and log unbound magic. With this change you still have the unbound harvesting tools that allow you to harvest, mine, and log unbound magic. Nothing has changed for you. You have lost nothing.

Meanwhile other people have other tools they prefer to use, but they want the advantage of getting unbound magic. They may prefer other tools because of the aesthetics of the other tools, or because some of the tools have faster animation, or get other advantages. This change allows them to get the unbound magic (and they also had to buy the unbound magic tools) on the tools of their preference (which they also had to buy), thus they gained something.

So maybe you the OP can clarify what issue you are having.

I was discussing this thread with a friend and, in trying to paraphrase, I might have stumbled upon the OP's concern. I'll rephrase it generically, since this would apply to many other people:

Let's say you bought a set of unlimited tools and use them in your shared inventory, swapping when you load a character and before swapping/logging out. The set you buy is the unbound. You're not interested in the skins, as long as they get the job done.

Thus before the update, you have all the tools you need to never worry about purchasing any more tools.

The update arrives and with it, these features:

• You can swap skins
  • You can swap upgrades (glyphs, in this case)

However, in this example, none of that does you any good: you don't have other skins (well the default, but they make things less functional, not more). You already are using three really useful glyphs, so swapping them isn't of value. Heck, even the free one means, at best, you lose an inventory slot.

In short, it's a change that does you no good.

(Mind you: it's still great for a lot of people, who don't share the same circumstances as the OP. And even people in the same boat might find it interesting enough to purchase more tools, for fun.)

@Neutra.6857 said:With this change you still have the unbound harvesting tools that allow you to harvest, mine, and log unbound magic. Nothing has changed for you. You have lost nothing.To be clear:

• How many unlimited use gathering tools purchased from the gem store had/have a specific bonus attached to them which made them unique?
  • Of the additional unlimited use gathering tools how many provided glyph's for their tools when traded?

If it's more than two or three I will gladly drop this. I am/was under the impression that only the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools were unique in that they had the bonus, and is why I spent 2700 gems.

Hence my issue, I payed for an item with a specific bonus, and now in order to keep said bonus I can not utilize the benefits of the new Glyph system and that is an oversight from Anet - IMO.

If my issue isn't clear, I will let the post fade away.

@enumae.2980 said:

@"Neutra.6857" said:With this change you still have the unbound harvesting tools that allow you to harvest, mine, and log unbound magic. Nothing has changed for you. You have lost nothing.To be clear:
  • How many unlimited use gathering tools purchased from the gem store had/have a specific bonus attached to them which made them unique?
  • Of the additional unlimited use gathering tools how many provided glyph's for their tools when traded?

The unbound, the Watchwork Mining Pick. That might be it.And actually, this was a problem for some people, because they felt it was "pay to win". The sprocket pick was on the market for years and it was literally the only way to farm sprockets in the game, giving a huge advantage to those who owned.

In particular, you could farm silver nodes (traditionally: a loss, given the time spent to mine them) and turn more of a profit than someone with any other pick farming mithril.

If it's more than two or three I will gladly drop this. I am/was under the impression that only the Unbound Magic Harvesting Tools were unique in that they had the bonus, and is why I spent 2700 gems.It's a really substantial bonus and one that can only be obtained (for infinite use) if you purchase those tools. For example, I have the consortium set and I have no way of getting unbound magic, aside from events and farming the nodes in the relevant zones.

Hence my issue, I payed for an item with a specific bonus, and now in order to keep said bonus I can not utilize the benefits of the new Glyph system and that is an oversight from Anet - IMO.

You still have that bonus. And again, only people who spent the same 2700 gems as you have that.So far, it doesn't appear that ANet is offering any way to obtain that glyph without purchasing the tool set.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Neutra.6857 said:With this change you still have the unbound harvesting tools that allow you to harvest, mine, and log unbound magic. Nothing has changed for you. You have lost nothing.To be clear:

The unbound, the Watchwork Mining Pick. That might be it.The dog one for harvesting, a total of 5 tools.

Archived